Exploring the private/wedding market

guitarguy19

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
The first couple of weddings we did---when we were still a 5-piece all male bar band---went OK but it became clear that we'd need to learn some standard 'wedding' type songs if we were going to be any good at it and be able to ask any sort of 'real' money.

ANY band can, of course, be hired to play a wedding or a corporate gig. And an otherwise 'specialized' type act will do very well getting hired because somebody WANTS an AC/DC tribute band playing at their wedding. But as far as just being a standard bar band? I know some good ones that don't go out of their way to do anything special who pretty regularly get $1200-1500 for corporate/wedding gigs. But that's probably where it tops out.
We actually had to embellish our song list a bit to sell the wedding package. Marry Me, Wonderful Tonight, Making Memories of Us, and a couple others were added because we simply couldn't submit them a song list that didn't really have any slow dance or love songs on it. We have 9 months to make sure we have the material down, so as long as we stay on top of it, there's no reason why we can't.

We also added some standards like Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Brick House type tunes that we've stayed away from so far but are good to have on tap for a wedding...so we have no problem learning them. And for the most part they'd go over fine in many of the clubs/bars we play too.

Other than that, many of the songs we do in the clubs will go over great at a wedding...so there is a lot of crossover. We're definitely not a Motorhead type of band! icon_lol.gif

The other weddings we've done we really did as a bar band..."Sure we'll play your wedding but we're not a wedding band. We're not learning any special songs, not doing any MC duties or any planning type stuff. You can use our sound system and play your own iPod playlists for dinner and breaks and such. Find someone else to make your announcements and introductions. What you see at a club is what you're gonna get." type of thing. We didn't want the responsibility of taking on the whole night and being responsible for everything to run smoothly...I'm not sure why we were lazy and we copped out. We just weren't ready I guess. We charged $1000-$1200 for those which was in the high range for what we were actually offering, but at that time we didn't really care whether or not they gave us the gig because we weren't really out to be a wedding band. We wanted to Totally_jammin_out.gif

These days, we've done a total 180 in terms of what we offer. We're selling an integrated DJ, much better sound system and light show, COMPLETE planning and coordination of the entire evening and MC duties, taking on the responsibility of coordinating with their photographer, caterers, everything, and the cool thing is that everyone in the band is on the same page here. I'm personally going to be in charge of making the announcements and being the official MC. I'll be delegating to the guys different tasks that need to be done so we can truly work as a team. One member will be the liaison between me and the photographer so they're prepared for when each event is happening; another will be responsible for coordinating with the hall to make sure that when we announce dinner is going to be served, they're ready; another will be responsible for lining up the bridal party in the correct order and everything before they get announced into the ballroom; we have our DJ controlling all the specialized music for these events; etc.

We're going to work our asses off planning everything down to the smallest detail to make sure the night goes smoothly. This is the single biggest difference between a good night or a nightmare. With lots of planning and everyone knowing what they're supposed to do, we can give them a seamless event. Then once we get into the band/party type stuff...we're off to the races.

For comparison, we're asking (and just started getting) $2500 for weddings now. We think it's well worth it for the extremely high level of customer service and customization we're going to provide.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great info. I thought there would be some "wedding standards" thrown in somewhere, but I didn't see them on your list. The band we had isn't a motorhead type of band either, but as it turns out the lead singer does a spot-on Lemmy imitation so they roll out Ace of Spades every once and a while.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 992gnt View Post
Great info. I thought there would be some "wedding standards" thrown in somewhere, but I didn't see them on your list.
Yeah...we're all up in the process of redoing our website right now. Gonna get the list updated and a separate section for weddings added in sooner than later. Also taking new pictures in tuxes (or at least nice black suits and such) to showcase in the wedding promo sections.

This type of stuff will be needed if we ever want to get any clients that don't happen to stumble into one of our club gigs and want to hire us based on what they see there.

• Members

The integrated DJ thing is probably going to be gold for you. We may have to start doing a similar thing sooner rather than later.

As far as songlists go, here's what we played at a NYE wedding we did last week. It was a bit longer than most gig, being three sets. But it's a pretty standard wedding setlist for us at this point that never fails:

8:15
DON'T WANNA MISS A THING (special request song for bride/groom dance)
9:30
I'M YOURS cake cutting
MY LITTLE GIRL father/daughter
MY WISH mother/son

SET 1
CELEBRATION
BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE
BILLIE JEAN
WE ARE FAMILY
YOUR LOVE
JESSIE'S GIRL
LOVE SHACK
867-5309/JENNY
FORGET YOU
RAISE YOUR GLASS
WONDERFUL TONIGHT
AMERICAN GIRL
SHOUT

SET 2
ANY WAY YOU WANT IT
DYNAMITE/CALIFORNIA GURLS/WE FOUND LOVE/GANGNAM STYLE
MACHO MAN (special request song dedicated to bride's father. This one was fun, I think we might keep it and medley it with "Sexy and I Know It")
BORN THIS WAY/EXPRESS YOURSELF/YOU SPIN ME 'ROUND
REBEL YELL
STAYIN' ALIVE/ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL
RAPPER'S DELIGHT/GOOD TIMES
SEXY & I KNOW IT
MOVES LIKE JAGGER
CALL ME MAYBE
HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT
ON THE FLOOR/LOW/LIKE A G6/PARTY ROCK ANTHEM

SET 3
SWEET CHILD O' MINE
JUMP
WALKING ON SUNSHINE
AULD LANG SYNE
YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
SWEET CAROLINE
JUKE BOX HERO/I LOVE ROCK N ROLL
POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME
DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'

• Members

Thanks for the song list Dave! We have a number of those on our song list as well. A little lighter on the disco due to our instrumental limitations...but there is a lot of overlap so it's good that we should have a formula that works for the most part.

One thing I'm a little unclear on (or at least we'll have to get a handle on) is exactly how many slow songs to play. I'm thinking at least 1 per set, maybe 2 in the first set or something so the older folks can dance more??

The integrated DJ thing is probably going to be gold for you.
thumb.gif This is what sold the couple and won them over with us compared to the 2 other bands they interviewed. That and they loved it at a club gig where we provided basically the same services.

What I love about the DJ aspect is that we can (without sounding like we're trying to get out of work) sell them on using DJ tracks for their introduction songs, cake cutting, and bridal dances, and cocktail hour. It does in fact make less work for us, and there really are advantages for them as well.

Cocktail hour...we offer an additional (3rd) cocktail set at no extra charge. BUT, we don't really have the crooner type songs and that in our repertoire. We can certainly come up with some lighter "less than party music" to do if you want a live set, but the DJ can create whatever atmosphere you want a little easier and it can be more customized to exactly the mood you want. But either way it's totally up to you, and we don't charge extra if you want the band to play longer.

Since the introductions and cake cutting will be done immediately upon their arrival into the hall (typical for weddings in my area) these will all be DJ tracks...which makes sense because I'll be making the announcements rather than performing at that point.

Regarding the bridal dances, done immediately after dinner is cleared, I made it clear that if it's something we can pull off (keeping in mind that we're not a typical wedding band with a strings section, full-time keyboard player, or powerhouse female vocalist) we'd be more than happy to do it for them, or even try to come up with an arrangement that works if the record has to be modified for us to do it. But ballads can be a little tough for us...so in swoops the DJ sell again. You can have any song you want played exactly the way you know it and love it. And not only that, you have full control over exactly how long the song is played...because 4-5 minutes for a ballad feels like forever when you're up there. If we have to arrange it we'll either be playing the entire song or coming up with a pre-arranged shortened length. With a recorded track, all we need is a thumbs up or a wink and a smile and we can seamlessly transition into the next dance whenever you feel like you've had enough and the photographer got their shots (and the rest of the room is bored to tears).

Beyond that, we can even further customize the evening however you like. We can do 2 sets with a DJ set in the middle that could incorporate your Anniversary Dance or some other kind of fun game. Or we can even play one really long set and close the night with hip-hop club music or whatever you want. We can come up with a plan to create whatever vibe you want at whatever time you want it...and all with absolutely zero "lull" in the entertainment whatsoever.

The cool thing is, we've already streamlined these types of performances in the clubs we play.

Maybe I should be keeping this formula more secret?? icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
Cocktail hour...we offer an additional (3rd) cocktail set at no extra charge. BUT, we don't really have the crooner type songs and that in our repertoire. We can certainly come up with some lighter "less than party music" to do if you want a live set, but the DJ can create whatever atmosphere you want a little easier and it can be more customized to exactly the mood you want. But either way it's totally up to you, and we don't charge extra if you want the band to play longer.
We don't charge by the set, but we do charge extra to do a cocktail set if it's in another location. At this last NYE gig, for example, while the rest of the band finishing setting up the girls and I set up a small rig in the room they were having the cocktail hour and played some songs. We really try to push them into just going with iPod music for cocktails or dinner but some people really want that live band.

Or they think they do, anyway. I don't know that ANYBODY has ever paid attention to us during one of these sets. It's pretty much just background music. But whatever. It's their money. As far as the songlist goes, anything soft and quiet would suffice. They aren't really listening anyway.

Since the introductions and cake cutting will be done immediately upon their arrival into the hall (typical for weddings in my area) these will all be DJ tracks...which makes sense because I'll be making the announcements rather than performing at that point.
That stuff varies a lot. Sometimes they want it at the beginning sometimes later. Cake cutting is often somewhere in the middle of the night. This last wedding was the bride/groom dance upon entrance and the other special songs after dinner. Usually they are right together. It varies.

Often they are fine having the special songs done on iPod. We try to encourage that, but if they really want us to learn a couple of songs we will. It's usually no big deal. We usually only play about a minute and a half or so anyway. Usually a verse/chorus and out is sufficient.

As far as ballads go? Really just have to feel the crowd out on that one, but having one a set is probably a good idea and a couple of others ready to go just in case. But actually I've found we've had more request for "no slow songs" than people asking for them. This last wedding we did one ballad. Most younger people don't really want many slow songs, although we'll sometimes encourage they add a couple for the old folks.

• Members

Nice!

For a wedding, I usually provide a wireless mic for the speeches. Then we play the first few dances via iPod.

Then we grip it and rip it.

wink.gif

The last wedding we played had 3 members from a band I've done sound for. They played the first 4 songs as an acoustic-ish trio. Then we did our thing after. The girl from the group joined us for the Ike & Tina version of Proud Mary!

• Members
We don't charge by the set, but we do charge extra to do a cocktail set if it's in another location. At this last NYE gig, for example, while the rest of the band finishing setting up the girls and I set up a small rig in the room they were having the cocktail hour and played some songs. We really try to push them into just going with iPod music for cocktails or dinner but some people really want that live band.

Or they think they do, anyway. I don't know that ANYBODY has ever paid attention to us during one of these sets. It's pretty much just background music. But whatever. It's their money. As far as the songlist goes, anything soft and quiet would suffice. They aren't really listening anyway.
Yeah...that's a good point. I'd think it would be tough logistically to pull off live sets in 2 locations though!?

That stuff varies a lot. Sometimes they want it at the beginning sometimes later. Cake cutting is often somewhere in the middle of the night. This last wedding was the bride/groom dance upon entrance and the other special songs after dinner. Usually they are right together. It varies.

Often they are fine having the special songs done on iPod. We try to encourage that, but if they really want us to learn a couple of songs we will. It's usually no big deal. We usually only play about a minute and a half or so anyway. Usually a verse/chorus and out is sufficient.
Yeah I know this stuff can vary...but most weddings around here are done with the cake cutting right upon their entrance, then the dances right after dinner and that way once people get on the dance floor the party just keeps going and isn't interrupted for dinner.

We'll obviously be flexible regardless...but for this one they wanted it "standard" anyway. (I realize that's not actually the standard...but again it's pretty typical around here).

As far as ballads go? Really just have to feel the crowd out on that one, but having one a set is probably a good idea and a couple of others ready to go just in case. But actually I've found we've had more request for "no slow songs" than people asking for them. This last wedding we did one ballad. Most younger people don't really want many slow songs, although we'll sometimes encourage they add a couple for the old folks.
Yeah...that's what I was thinking. If we have a few in the hopper we should be fine. I can talk to them and get a feel for how many they'll want too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22

View Post

For a wedding, I usually provide a wireless mic for the speeches.

We don't actually currently own a wireless mic setup, but you can bet it was on the standard list of things we provide. We'll beg, borrow, steal, or break down and buy a setup before September. I'd have to imagine a wireless mic for the toasts is pretty standard, and it would be a pain in the ass without it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
Yeah...that's a good point. I'd think it would be tough logistically to pull off live sets in 2 locations though!?
We carry a small mixer and a couple of powered speakers just for this sort of thing. They also sometimes get used because we'll sometimes provide recorded (or live) music for the ceremony. And in addition to a wireless mic for speeches, we have a wireless lapel mic for the pastors to use.

Where it gets dicey is when they want a system in THREE locations. Then we're moving stuff around behind the scenes. We've become as much a small sound-company as a band in this regard. You might very well find yourself going down this road as well. Part of it is just about the money: why let them pay somebody else to play some acoustic guitar while your guests are seated, or pay to have a small PA system for the ceremony when they can pay US that extra money? Part of it is, like your DJ service, something extra we can offer to give us a leg-up over other bands trying to get the gig.

As far as the logistics go, it's just a matter of planning. As long as the time and space exists to be able to do it, it can be done. Just make sure they don't ask you for stuff that's impossible to do.

Yeah I know this stuff can vary...but most weddings around here are done with the cake cutting right upon their entrance, then the dances right after dinner and that way once people get on the dance floor the party just keeps going and isn't interrupted for dinner.
The right balance is between being a band that is flexible and accomodating and not letting yourselves get pushed around TOO much. We do our best to try and organize the flow of events in a manner that is best for us without coming across as inflexible. Sometimes we easily get our way; sometimes the bride and wedding planner just aren't going to budge. Every gig is different. Once we've booked the gig we put Amy in touch with the bride/planner and she acts as a mini wedding planner doing her best to make sure they do things the way we'd most like them to go. We try to put a lot of emphasis on our experience and that it really will be best for them to do things OUR way, but a lot of that comes down to the art of negotiation. Amy's day job is running a Human Resource dept for a company, so she's got the people-skills thing down pretty well. Making people feeling like THEY are the ones making the decisions when they aren't necessarily and all that... lol

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

I picked up a cheap Nady wireless mic for such use - never had a problem with it and if it sprouts legs I'm only out $50 biggrin.gif.

Be careful with going too cheap. We showed up at a gig once without our wireless mic, so I ran down to the nearest GC and bought a cheapy $99 Audio Technica wireless. Turned out the other one was permenantly lost, so we kept using the cheapy for awhile, but it was plagued with drop-outs and interference noise. Nothing worse than big crackling noises coming through the speakers just as Old Uncle John is trying to give his speech while holding the mic down near his belt.

Archived