Picture ideas?

Blackbird 13

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

Midday sun automatically creates those shadows...

Yep. In this case it's apparently the hats creating the shadows.

Apparently another case of a band thinking the band photo isn't all the important and doesn't need to treated with the same level of professionalism and effort that they (hopefully) put towards the music. They want the best gigs they can get, and spend all sorts of time rehearsing and all sorts of money on expensive gear, and then use a photo that someone's girlfriend took with a phone.

For you "it's all about the music" guys? Even your favorite "all about the music" bands don't cheap out on the promo shots.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

I love shots that say something about the band. The Highway to Hell above^^^ is a classic. As is this...

Yep. Ideally, a promo shot should be able to tell you who the band is musically to a large degree without having to listen to them. That shot of The Band is classic for that reason.

My point with posting those shots was to show that, regardless of genre, style, era or "integrity-level" of the band, the vast majority of promo shots you'll find show a band that is purposefully dressed, purposefully posed and professionally photographed and lighted. It isn't something to skimp on, IMO. Especially for a band who is using such a shot to get their foot in the door with a potential client who may not know anything about them.

• Members

And if you're stumped for a photographer or tight on budget, you can do a lot worse than walking into the mall and getting your photo taken at Glamour Shots or whatever. At least they'll have a backdrop, good equipment, and someone who has a decent ability to take a photo. You'll probably be COMPLETELY on your own regarding pose, dress, etc. But it will beat trying to go the amateur route with your girlfriend's digi-cam.

• Moderators

Absolutely^^^.

I played with a cover band in the 90's. The leader was also a computer graphic guy. Ironically, that was a detriment. I was used to hiring a professional to do his thing. This guy... while a pro graphic artist, wasn't really a photographer. He didn't really know lighting. So... we ended up with an ok photo presentation but hardly standing apart from the pack.

Look at the biggest local acts and extend that region to neighboring cities. In my case that includes LA. Then see who took the shots you like. Pay them. It will get you work.

• Members

One trick I use to loosen up the session is do what I call the "run, jump and pose" shots. Have one person standing in place and have everyone "run" into the shot a affect a quick pose. Gets everybody loosened up to all be bumping and tripping over each other and laughing and you might even get some usuable shots that way. One thing I've found with guys is they can be relucant to rub up against each other, but if you're looking for a close-in group shot like that Rufus shot above, you're going to need to get a bit..um..comfortable with each other pretty quickly.

Archived