Our weekend, so far....

TrickyBoy

• Members

So...

Last April we played a club in Ft Walton Beach, FL called The Swamp. Great gig. Played to over 2000 people. Here was last year

Anyway, they asked us back to kick off Spring Break 2013. Played Fri and Sat and playing again tonight. Friday night was prolly 350 people. Last night was pretty much packed. We'll about tonight.

Well we learned several new songs and I figured I'd report:

C'mon by Kesha: eh. We've done it midway though the first set both nights. Hasn't completely flopped, but prolly going away

Walking on Sunshine: played early in the first set both nights. Killed. Definitely a keeper

Harlem Shake: if you're not doing this, you're stupid. Had 50 people on stage posing for the beginning the going crazy. Huge success

Billie Jean: we play it right out of Harlem Shake. Goes over great.

Lose Yourself: Meagan kills this. We do the whole song just like the recording. We open the last set with it. Crowd goes bazerk. I'll have a video posted soon

Random aside. They have us go on at 9:30 and play 4 45 minute sets with 30 minute breaks in between. I really like that format.

• Members

I remember you guys playing that last year.  Always feels good to get asked back to such stuff, doesn't it?

As far as the songs go---Walking On Sunshine kills for us pretty much EVERY GIG and has for years.  All ages know it, and it's infectiously happy and poppy and danceable.  I had to practically force it on the band to learn it initially, but I'm sure they are all glad I did now.  It's one of those songs that is stronger than a lot of bands probably realize, but every band who does do it almost certainly understands. 

Harlem Shake---yeah, we'll have to learn that one.  I suppose we can do it instead of "Gangham Style"? Or should we keep both?

Lose Yourself---I"m not familiar with this one..or at least the title isn't registering with me at the moment.   I'll have to check it out.  Who does it?

Random aside---while it's nice to have such easy sets, I generally don't like playing only 45 min sets because I feel like we usually end up breaking just as we're really getting the flow going and energy ramped up.  Of course, if you're playing for 2,000 people, it probably doesn't matter as much!  lol!

Have fun!

• Members

Lose Yourself is eminem. Vocally probably the toughest song we've ever done and Meagan nails

I would ride both Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake until they completely die. They are gifts given to us by the musical gods to entertain drunk people. They dont come around often and should be utilized

And yeah. Last night had over 1000 people at the busiest. Each set was pretty much go time from the first note. No "warming up"

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Lose Yourself is eminem. Vocally probably the toughest song we've ever done and Meagan nails

Oh yeah, THAT song.  I wasn't thinking of something that old.  Great tune, but certainly not for my band.  lol.  Cool that Meagan nails it!  Very masculine vocal.

The new girl we're adding (Kristen) says she likes to rap.  Definately gonna be adding some more rap stuff if she can do it well.

• Members

If Kristen can do it, I'd add it. We opened the third set by me saying "What if you had one shot" then I went into the lick and the crowd went ape {censored}. Not for every wedding/party but if you have a 20 something crowd it would probably be the biggest hit of the night. The google crowd would have gone bananas

• Members

Complete side note, but I read something once back in the early 80s that (must have been some study or another) it was decided that Bb is the "happiest" of all musical keys.  That people's brains respond more "happily" to songs in the key of Bb.  I have no idea if that is actually true or not, but the band I was playing in at the time wrote a song we wanted to be a "happy" song, and we purposely wrote it in Bb for this reason. 

"Walking On Sunshine" is in Bb.   Dunno if they read the same study and wrote it in that key on purpose?  But for whatever reason, that's one damn-happy tune!

• Members

Funny. Our sets work as follows on the average night. Set one is songs that sober people dance to, and Walinsky on Sunshine is perfect. Set 2 is mostly more current dance tunes at the beginning, followed by more crowd participation at the end (start is superbass and we found love, the end is Proud Mary and Shout an the Grease Megamix.). Set three is mostly heavier with a lot of sing alongs.

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Funny. Our sets work as follows on the average night. Set one is songs that sober people dance to, and Walinsky on Sunshine is perfect. Set 2 is mostly more current dance tunes at the beginning, followed by more crowd participation at the end (start is superbass and we found love, the end is Proud Mary and Shout an the Grease Megamix.). Set three is mostly heavier with a lot of sing alongs.

Our setlists are very similar. 

The first set is easy dance/all age tunes.  The second set is more current stuff.  And the third set is the rocker/sing along stuff.   If we only do two sets (which is more common than three, actually) that 2nd set stuff gets blended into the end-and-beginning of the two sets.  We usually do WOS in the 3rd set, for whatever reason, but it would work pretty much anywhere, I'm sure.

• Members

Hey Tricky,

How are you covering Harlem Shake with your instrumentation? I usually have no problem covering heavy keyboard song on the guitar , but this one has me scratching my head.

Is anyone out there doing Kesha's Die Young. We are adding it and C'mon, but after reading your initial post I'm second guessing C'mon.

• Members

Weekend is over. Lots of fun. Last night I had no voice, so we had to rearrange the set a little. Plus the monitors didn't work. Still had an awesome show. Anyway. A couple things:

Harlem Shake I start on guitar withy the wah. Then it turns into a metal fest in F#.

Crowd last night was younger. Mostly under 25. C'mon went over really well

A little video from last night. Half shot by Meagan, half by random dude in the crowd.

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

If Kristen can do it, I'd add it. We opened the third set by me saying "What if you had one shot" then I went into the lick and the crowd went ape {censored}. Not for every wedding/party but if you have a 20 something crowd it would probably be the biggest hit of the night. The google crowd would have gone bananas

Funny how this forum works sometimes.   Last night at rehearsal (first one with Kristen) she mentions that she'd really like to do some rap stuff so, because of this conversation and curious as to what her response will be, I casually say "what about Lose Yourself?" 

She immediately grabs the mic, says "oh hell ya, I'd LOVE to do that one!"  and starts busting it out.  

Still don't know if it's a good track for us or not, but we might have to work it up just to have it in the back pocket when the right crowd is there.

Archived