So... one of our favorite venues is closing.

mstreck

• Members

mstreck wrote:

They posted on facebook about an hour ago. Stated they were "losing their lease and are a victim of the economy". We will be the last band to play there (Saturday).

Sucks...

Yes it does. Its no fun to lose a FUN venue. They are hard to replace.

• Members

It's definitely a buzz crash to see a venue you're playing with regularity close down.  It's always a little loss of momentum to go out and find a replacement.   .. and it just feels bad.  

BUT - having been doing this for 30+ years, I've come to the realization it's simply the "Circle of Life" for the bar biz.   Bars (especially those that host live entertainment) simply have a short life span.  In my old college town - there's only one venue that still exists today in the general form that existed when I was gigging around town.  Few if any of the bars I've played in current local have lasted long.  Five to ten years ... and they're gone (or at minimum "shuffled" with new owners, new management and/or a new "format"). 

All you can do is take a closing in stride ... bars have a short lifespan.

• Members

Saw that. WOW.

Maybe the pictures I've seen (of friends bands playing at the venue) don't really sow what's going on... They've always got plenty of people in them...

Besides, how can they be doing poorly with little-to-no competition in town? Must be the landlord or something? I'm confused

Guess I'm just in shock a bit. I remember when they went from being 'just a poolhall' (That I went to every day) to being a bar and music venue... 

Rock that place this weekend! Rock it a little for me!

• Members

FormerlyBassred wrote:

Saw that. WOW.

Maybe the pictures I've seen (of friends bands playing at the venue) don't really sow what's going on... They've always got plenty of people in them...

Besides, how can they be doing poorly with little-to-no competition in town? Must be the landlord or something? I'm confused

Guess I'm just in shock a bit. I remember when they went from being 'just a poolhall' (That I went to every day) to being a bar and music venue... 

why aren't you bassred anymore??  :)

• Members

FormerlyBassred wrote:

Saw that. WOW.

my guess is they have been falling behind on their obligations and bills.    Pretty easy to do due to the fact that there is cashflow and people tend to spend it hoping that things will pick up and save their butts.   If a place is busy ,, and they go under, odds are they cant keep their hands from spending the cash flow and betting on the come for the future bills. 

Archived