Does anyone else feel this way?

Kramerguy

• Members

Part of getting through life without medication is understanding one's limitations. As I get older, I know I won't play pro ball, be a Navy Seal, whatever...the window has passed, or I just didn't have it in me. The latter being hard to deal with. But let's get some perspective here...could Donald Trump have been an Olympic Athlete? Could Michael Phelps have been in a Band as good as Boston.

It's a super macro view I have, but I think if more people stepped back, then searched for what they are good at rather them push themselves into a situation where they struggle...they might find more success.

That said, video taping onces self is THE BOMB...talk about feedback...don't be scared of it...stop being a {censored}....watch yourself, see those glaring problems on the big screen THEN STOP BITCH and IMPROVE.

{censored}, if more people on this forum were honest, not a bunch of hyper critical little babies and trolls, willing to help each other honestly, do you realize how much better we would all be as musicians if we put our stuff out there and got honest object feedback?

I forward a motion for a a subforum where the mods only let those in who have a video in the Profile sig line. We help each other. The trolls won't be let in because they won't put their playing out there for critique.

So who's up for that? I have more videos of me playing in my bathrobe ready for honest critique. lol.

• Members

Part of getting through life without medication is understanding one's limitations. As I get older, I know I won't play pro ball, be a Navy Seal, whatever...the window has passed, or I just didn't have it in me. The latter being hard to deal with. But let's get some perspective here...could Donald Trump have been an Olympic Athlete? Could Michael Phelps have been in a Band as good as Boston.

It's a super macro view I have, but I think if more people stepped back, then searched for what they are good at rather them push themselves into a situation where they struggle...they might find more success.

That said, video taping onces self is THE BOMB...talk about feedback...don't be scared of it...stop being a {censored}....watch yourself, see those glaring problems on the big screen THEN STOP BITCH and IMPROVE.

{censored}, if more people on this forum were honest, not a bunch of hyper critical little babies and trolls, willing to help each other honestly, do you realize how much better we would all be as musicians if we put our stuff out there and got honest object feedback?

I forward a motion for a a subforum where the mods only let those in who have a video in the Profile sig line. We help each other. The trolls won't be let in because they won't put their playing out there for critique.

So who's up for that? I have more videos of me playing in my bathrobe ready for honest critique. lol.

• Members

• Members

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

thumb.gif

At my day job they had us use this product:

http://www.amazon.com/StrengthsFinde.../dp/159562015X

Once completed it lists out your five top strengths. Weakness need not worry about, focus energy on strengths

• Members

View Post

thumb.gif

At my day job they had us use this product:

http://www.amazon.com/StrengthsFinde.../dp/159562015X

Once completed it lists out your five top strengths. Weakness need not worry about, focus energy on strengths

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy

View Post

I'm something of a perfectionist. Yeah, I'm in a cover-band, we play local bars, nobody expects the best of the best. I've also done a lot of originals work in the last three years. I've not been happy with any of it. The cover band is fun, but looking at dozens of performance videos, there's nothing I'm even happy enough with to put onto youtube, much less create a demo from.

The original work I've done I was unhappy with, I didn't have control over the production, so I had to just play my parts and be done with it- in hindsight, I was really unhappy mostly with the parts I came up with, on top of my guitar tone, etc.. but also unhappy with the material as a whole. Mostly in post-production, I became depressed at how bad it was, and my inability to change it. I know a lot of people would say it's good, but a lot of people are also either family, friends, or other musicians who are trying to be supportive and not hurt my feelings, so I rarely trust compliments.

What I'm getting at is that after 4 very active years in both covers and originals, I have almost zero audio or video that I feel is "good enough" to even post on my profiles on various sites. I've taken down everything I ever posted, ultimately disgusted with it. I struggle with whether or not I'm just too anal, or that I'm just not good enough to create something truly great.

So am I just a screwed up anomaly, or do other people also feel this way?

Hey dude. I'm actually in a pretty similar situation...it's not that I have poor self esteem or anything, but I also feel that my music is never good enough...for me it's like "well, if I wait, I'll only get better, and it will sound better", but I just keep thinking that...since I started writing and recording when I was 15 or so with a cheap Tascam 4 track, playing guitar and using a cheap no name pawn shop bass and Alesis SR16 Drum Machine and cheap Casio keyboard, till when I got my first "real" board, a KORG Triton LE, then got tons of hardware, then went 100% ITB when I got turned on to Reason, then got Logic and tons of other soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins, I never think that what I've done is "good enough"...I've literally got hundreds of "tracks", though lots of those are just sketches of ideas, but I'd say I have at LEAST 100 "songs" done, but I always think that I need to mix and master what I did on my Triton, same goes for what I did in Reason, and that I need to learn mixing and mastering in Logic much better....

Another part of my problem is that all my original stuff is really out there, I just can't do an intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chours/outro song to save my life, most of what I do is lay down a beat, loop it, then pick a scale or key or progression, lay that down, or lay down a bassline, then just shred all over it...I've definitely done some stuff that didn't fit that category, but that's the majority of it, and I know that no one wants to hear an 80's guitar shredder trapped in a 2000's electric musicians keyboard player' body (though I do cover just about every genre out there), and while not everything I do fits into that category, I realize that no one wants to hear what I've done, that I really do need to get better at mixing and mastering....

The weird thing is that I have no problem with what I've done for others, I stopped gigging and playing in bands in my early 20's (I'm 31) and over the years have picked up a few clients doing vanity projects just for some extra cash, and definitely and proud of what I did for them...they were all just singer songwriters that just strummed really simple guitar chord progressions, and I'd record them and add keys, bass, drums, strings, horns, etc,. and would definitely give them a good final product, especially for what I was charging and for what I had to work with.

Also another aspect of it for me is that I just do it for my own enjoyment, I long ago gave up any dreams of "making it" or having anything to do with the biz, so I just burn discs of stuff I've done for the few friends that want to hear it and that's it, like I said it's just for my enjoeyment, so I really have no inspiration to make it as good as possible for other people...

• Members

View Post

I'm something of a perfectionist. Yeah, I'm in a cover-band, we play local bars, nobody expects the best of the best. I've also done a lot of originals work in the last three years. I've not been happy with any of it. The cover band is fun, but looking at dozens of performance videos, there's nothing I'm even happy enough with to put onto youtube, much less create a demo from.

The original work I've done I was unhappy with, I didn't have control over the production, so I had to just play my parts and be done with it- in hindsight, I was really unhappy mostly with the parts I came up with, on top of my guitar tone, etc.. but also unhappy with the material as a whole. Mostly in post-production, I became depressed at how bad it was, and my inability to change it. I know a lot of people would say it's good, but a lot of people are also either family, friends, or other musicians who are trying to be supportive and not hurt my feelings, so I rarely trust compliments.

What I'm getting at is that after 4 very active years in both covers and originals, I have almost zero audio or video that I feel is "good enough" to even post on my profiles on various sites. I've taken down everything I ever posted, ultimately disgusted with it. I struggle with whether or not I'm just too anal, or that I'm just not good enough to create something truly great.

Hey dude. I'm actually in a pretty similar situation...it's not that I have poor self esteem or anything, but I also feel that my music is never good enough...for me it's like "well, if I wait, I'll only get better, and it will sound better", but I just keep thinking that...since I started writing and recording when I was 15 or so with a cheap Tascam 4 track, playing guitar and using a cheap no name pawn shop bass and Alesis SR16 Drum Machine and cheap Casio keyboard, till when I got my first "real" board, a KORG Triton LE, then got tons of hardware, then went 100% ITB when I got turned on to Reason, then got Logic and tons of other soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins, I never think that what I've done is "good enough"...I've literally got hundreds of "tracks", though lots of those are just sketches of ideas, but I'd say I have at LEAST 100 "songs" done, but I always think that I need to mix and master what I did on my Triton, same goes for what I did in Reason, and that I need to learn mixing and mastering in Logic much better....

Another part of my problem is that all my original stuff is really out there, I just can't do an intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chours/outro song to save my life, most of what I do is lay down a beat, loop it, then pick a scale or key or progression, lay that down, or lay down a bassline, then just shred all over it...I've definitely done some stuff that didn't fit that category, but that's the majority of it, and I know that no one wants to hear an 80's guitar shredder trapped in a 2000's electric musicians keyboard player' body (though I do cover just about every genre out there), and while not everything I do fits into that category, I realize that no one wants to hear what I've done, that I really do need to get better at mixing and mastering....

The weird thing is that I have no problem with what I've done for others, I stopped gigging and playing in bands in my early 20's (I'm 31) and over the years have picked up a few clients doing vanity projects just for some extra cash, and definitely and proud of what I did for them...they were all just singer songwriters that just strummed really simple guitar chord progressions, and I'd record them and add keys, bass, drums, strings, horns, etc,. and would definitely give them a good final product, especially for what I was charging and for what I had to work with.

Also another aspect of it for me is that I just do it for my own enjoyment, I long ago gave up any dreams of "making it" or having anything to do with the biz, so I just burn discs of stuff I've done for the few friends that want to hear it and that's it, like I said it's just for my enjoeyment, so I really have no inspiration to make it as good as possible for other people...

• Members

What do people in the audience think?Non musicians.Most people in the crowd could care less about tone,boutique amps,etc,etc.They either like it or they don't.Change your shirt,put on a baseball cap and go up to the bar and ask em.Be prepared for honest opinions.When I had an OK night,it was alright.When everything clicked,I was walking on air.I could'nt sleep.I did'nt want it to end.You can go a long way with a macbook with garageband or logic 9.If playing made me that unhappy,I'd quit.I always thought of it like playing pro baseball.I could'nt believe they were paying me to have fun.Good luck to you.

• Moderators

View Post

I

I am almost never 100% happy with anything I record. But I've had to realize that either I get it to the best place I can, accept it, then put it out there, and then move on to the next thing... or else basically never get anything done because I'm trying to get it perfect. You have to use it as a driving force to more forward, not as a wall to keep you in place.

• Members

View Post

...{censored}, if more people on this forum were honest, not a bunch of hyper critical little babies and trolls, willing to help each other honestly, do you realize how much better we would all be as musicians if we put our stuff out there and got honest object feedback?...

This is coming from you? You are BY FAR the worst troll I have ever seen in this forum!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

This is exactly like me.

Ever since I was a kid I used to play piano alot but never been happy with the results. It feels like I can do better with everything I do. And being bandleader, I feel like every song we play can be done better. More intense rythmic parts, better leads, drum fills etc. 

After my band and I have finished a song, we usually record it and smokes some dope and listens to it, which is the worst part. I only hear the mistakes (not only mines) and what needs to be changed. 

Of course families, friends and other musician friends usually give me compliments that they like what we play, but im just unable to take it seriously - because I have already convinced myself that it's not, and that they are only trying to be nice.

This however, changed last year when we had this gig at a pretty big club/bar. We and another band was gona play that night, and the other bands guitarrists is actually the one who encouraged me to pick up electric guitar seriously. So I was already prepared that they would get the credit for the night, which didn't really phase me.

That night, they changed so they opened for us instead of the opposite (because of some technical issues idk). So after they played and it was our turn my mind just took a twist and I just thought "{censored} it, we can't top that, im just gona have fun". And we exploded. They loved every of our songs and people literally stood up and cheered for us, banking tables, whisteling etc. The whole gig was a giant WTF from my side and afterwards tons of people walked up to me telling me how they liked my solos and guitar parts and asked where they could find our songs. Feels like being famous.

That night changed my perspective on my music and on myself totally. Im not gona lie tho, I do boss around from time to time, and I am a perfectionists. But if my bass players wants to drop a bass solo, why the {censored} not?

• Members

You are NOT alone in this at all!! I too am a perfectionist and struggle with my writing and cover material all the time. I find when I look to other musicians I can always find something they do that is better than what I do. After many years, I believe we all do that. I also can get into depressions where I feel I just want to pack it up and never play again. But in the end, the ONLY thing that makes me smile and genuinely love life is when I play. It's all for that one moment when it all comes together, and believe me, it's not all that often.

When I do feel that low self opinion I take a step back and take a break. Eventually I come around and get back on the horse. I have to realize that without music I don't think I would even want to live, so I push on. It's my outlet and no matter how bad I think I am, it belongs to me and its all mine.

At the end of the day I can't care about whether or not I make it into a great profession. I care whether or not i am able to play music in any form. That's what keeps me playing. Good luck with yours!

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

if it was YOUR material, what stopped you from having complete control over the total package? Did you have a record deal?

Archived