Dad Bands: your definition.

TheRinger

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here are some examples of dad bands.

Those guys are all technically "dads" (most are grand-dads probably), but that doesn't make one a "dad band". I've played with guys who had kids when they were 18. Didn't make us a "dad band".

One thing I'll note about all those pics is how they relate to other threads here: note how all those guys are dressed. With the exception of the beach-band dude up top, all are dressed for a night of rocking it out on stage and still look age-appropriate. One of the biggest signals of a "dad band" is they want to play Springsteen and Aerosmith but want to dress like Buffett and believe it is somehow appropriate to do so. Buffett's wearing the right clothes to be singing "Cheeseburger in Paradise". Can you imagine showing up to a Bon Jovi show and seeing Jon and Richie dressed like Buffett and singing "Wanted Dead of Alive"?

Would pretty much be a giant "fail", wouldn't you say?

• Members

I dont think its mid live crisis that makes older guys get back into music. Its more like they are at a point in life where they now have time for it. For older bands who have made it big when they are young its a business decision that makes them money. I would guess some feel the need to pad up their bank accounts.

• Members

I dont think its mid live crisis that makes older guys get back into music. Its more like they are at a point in life where they now have time for it. For older bands who have made it big when they are young its a business decision that makes them money. I would guess some feel the need to pad up their bank accounts.

You get addicted to performing and the adulation too. Why does Aerosmith still do what they do into their 60s? Because they can. I doubt any of them need the money (although I'm sure they like that as well). But what else are they gonna do? Sit at home and get fat and reminisce about who they USED to be? Why do that when they can STILL BE Aerosmith?

• Members

You get addicted to performing and the adulation too. Why does Aerosmith still do what they do into their 60s? Because they can.
I doubt any of them need the money
(although I'm sure they like that as well). But what else are they gonna do? Sit at home and get fat and reminisce about who they USED to be? Why do that when they can STILL BE Aerosmith?

I would not go that far. You had a 2008 melt down in the financials. We are on the rocks now. A 45 percent hit on your self funded retirment fund is still a 45 percent hit ,, it doesnt matter if you have 4 million or 20 .. you just lost a ton of earning power. you wont fuel a rock star lifestyle on earnings off 10 million in this economy.

• Members

I would not go that far. You had a 2008 melt down in the financials. We are on the rocks now. A 45 percent hit on your self funded retirment fund is still a 45 percent hit ,, it doesnt matter if you have 4 million or 20 .. you just lost a ton of earning power. you wont fuel a rock star lifestyle on earnings off 10 million in this economy.

Not that that stuff probably isn't true---but I really have no doubt that even without the 2008 melt down all those above acts would still be gigging today and most will do so until they are physcially unable to do so.

• Members

Not that that stuff probably isn't true---but I really have no doubt that even
without
the 2008 melt down all those above acts would still be gigging today and most will do so until they are physcially unable to do so.

yup rockers tend to keep rockin. some do drop out for a while too.

• Members

Diversified Portfolios are up even accounting for 2008. They aren't 45% down.

• Members

Diversified Portfolios are up even accounting for 2008. They aren't 45% down.

When you are retired ,,,the net worth is not the big deal ,, its the stream of income. My portfolio isnt too band from a bottom line aspect. My stream of income is way down due to the fact that interest rates are at historical lows.

• Members

yup rockers tend to keep rockin. some do drop out for a while too.

Some do. Some retire completely. But there DOES seem to be a direct corelation between the bands that keep working and their continued popularity. They do it 'cuz they can. The big acts like McCartney, Stones, Springsteen, U2, Eagles, Aerosmith etc---I doubt any of these guys NEED the money (I'll gladly take 45% of McCartney's or Bono's 2008 portfolio, thank you very much...), but the lure of still playing big stadiums (AND the money that brings in, of course--making money gets to be addictive as well) is no doubt TREMENDOUS. There's no high like the one you get from playing for huge, screaming, receptive crowds and I don't imagine any of these guys want to give that up until they absolutely HAVE to.

I remember reading something with one of those old guys (Jagger maybe?) who was saying that he finishes every tour certain it's going to be the last, and then a year or so goes by and he gets that "itch" again.

The ones probably doing it more for the money would be the B-level acts who trudge through the smaller circuits. And even THOSE guys probably love it to a large degree or they'd likely find something else to do for a living.

• Members

When you are retired ,,,the net worth is not the big deal ,, its the stream of income. My portfolio isnt too band from a bottom line aspect. My stream of income is way down due to the fact that interest rates are at historical lows.

Yep, stream of income makes it tough in a low interest rate environment. That being said, diverisfied bond portfolios are still going to generate a decent return (emerging market and corporate bond debt still generate decent yield, and most managers are going to underweight US debt). Plus, dividend yields on Large Cap companies are at all time highs. It'll swing back...but it's good to have the band income going in the meantime...even if you're Aerosmith!

• Members

Yep, stream of income makes it tough in a low interest rate environment. That being said, diverisfied bond portfolios are still going to generate a decent return (emerging market and corporate bond debt still generate decent yield, and most managers are going to underweight US debt). Plus, dividend yields on Large Cap companies are at all time highs. It'll swing back...but it's good to have the band income going in the meantime...even if you're Aerosmith!

LOL you talk like a guy that isnt even close to being able to retire. When it comes to bonds in todays market. anything that has a decent return is going to carry some pretty hefty risks.

• Members
How old do you think he IS, anyway?[/quote

Its not so much a matter of age ,, its a matter of not having to live totally off your investments and still keep the risk to a level where you dont lose the principal. this economic policy of low interest rates has cut my income in half over the last few years. I am doing fine but I dont have any extra to blow , while i am in reefed down mode to weather this economic storm. Its easy to give investment advice ,, textbooks are full of it ,, and stock brokers are full of it too. Its not their money they are losing. A balanced porfolio is good advice , but it isnt going to give you a normal return these days. I am not a newly retired guy ,, i have been at this a while. Lots of people are old enough to retire and are not anyways near financially ready for it. No idea what his situation is ,, but I know what this market is like.

• Members

How old do you think he IS, anyway?[/quote

Its not so much a matter of age ,, its a matter of not having to live totally off your investments and still keep the risk to a level where you dont lose the principal. this economic policy of low interest rates has cut my income in half over the last few years. I am doing fine but I dont have any extra to blow , while i am in reefed down mode to weather this economic storm. Its easy to give investment advice ,, textbooks are full of it ,, and stock brokers are full of it too. Its not their money they are losing. A balanced porfolio is good advice , but it isnt going to give you a normal return these days. I am not a newly retired guy ,, i have been at this a while. Lots of people are old enough to retire and are not anyways near financially ready for it. No idea what his situation is ,, but I know what this market is like.

It's funny how all the clients our investment managers (I work for a large financial institution) work with who follow the balanced portfolio advice did just fine through 2008, and still receive a great income yield. But you're probably right...that balanced portfolio stuff is just silly textbook stuff.

I'm 33 by the way.

• Members

It's funny how all the clients our investment managers (I work for a large financial institution) work with who follow the balanced portfolio advice did just fine through 2008, and still receive a great income yield. But you're probably right...that balanced portfolio stuff is just silly textbook stuff.

I'm 33 by the way.

You can typically always work through things with a balanced portfolio if they have time on their side. After they retire , time isnt on their side anymore. Say they took a light hit of 25 percent , and you have them in pretty deep without a big cash cushion and poof they are selling at big losses burning principal like a blow torch. Its hard to recover when you have to keep tapping the investments to live and pay the bills. the thing an investor has to understand is that that broker in not on your team ,, he is on his own team ,, and he makes money if you are buying or selling or losing your ass. They are nothing but sales people. If all brokers were as smart as you are ,, they would all be retired at 44 years old and making a killing in the market in just 20 mintues a day on the puter instead of buying and selling things with other peoples money for a comission. Hell 33 ,, yea thats about the age where young men think they know it all lol.

• Members

I am of the age, 49, but have always been a working musician who like many other working musicians plays in multiple bands and live music situations. And most of the cats I work with are also working musicians around my age or a little younger or older.

The only place I have ever encountered the term "dad band" has been Backstage With The Band. But I can kind of dig what y'all are talking about. I occasionally get a call or an email from somebody asking me if I would like to play guitar or bass in his band. It will most likely be a "classic rock" or "party" band. And they will want to get together to practice maybe once a week or every other week so they can play somewhere maybe once a month or less just for fun. Sometimes it involves a little bit of money and sometimes not. I decline those situations mainly because there is usually a pretty large musical experience gap between me and the folks in the band even though they are around my age.

All things considered, I have nothing at all against folks who play music mainly as a hobby and play in different joints and back yard parties for little or no money. I reckon it is a lot like bowling night or poker night. Most of these cats are not playing in the same joints I do. A few of them are my friends. Every now and then I will get together with one of my music hobbyist friends to pick some guitars and smoke some jazz cigarettes. That can be a lot of fun.

• Members

I am of the age, 49, but have always been a working musician who like many other working musicians plays in multiple bands and live music situations. And most of the cats I work with are also working musicians around my age or a little younger or older.

The only place I have ever encountered the term "dad band" has been Backstage With The Band. But I can kind of dig what y'all are talking about. I occasionally get a call or an email from somebody asking me if I would like to play guitar or bass in his band. It will most likely be a "classic rock" or "party" band. And they will want to get together to practice maybe once a week or every other week so they can play somewhere maybe once a month or less just for fun. Sometimes it involves a little bit of money and sometimes not. I decline those situations mainly because there is usually a pretty large musical experience gap between me and the folks in the band even though they are around my age.

All things considered, I have nothing at all against folks who play music mainly as a hobby and play in different joints and back yard parties for little or no money. I reckon it is a lot like bowling night or poker night. Most of these cats are not playing in the same joints I do. A few of them are my friends. Every now and then I will get together with one of my music hobbyist friends to pick some guitars and smoke some jazz cigarettes. That can be a lot of fun.

I think you summed it up pretty well. there is nothing wrong with start up bands , garage bands, dad bands. Its where people get together and play music with other people. Often they get good enough to start doing some gigs. If non dad banders can dig back far enough in to their rock star memories ,, its how most of them got started in bands.

• Members

If non dad banders can dig back far enough in to their rock star memories ,, its how most of them got started in bands.

Yeah, but there IS something decidedly different about a bunch of teenagers getting together in Joe's Garage and learning how to play and start a band and a bunch of 40/50-somethings doing it.

• Members

Yeah, but there IS something decidedly different about a bunch of teenagers getting together in Joe's Garage and learning how to play and start a band and a bunch of 40/50-somethings doing it.

. . . the most important being that when you were young, you all started out with more or less the same footing.

Now you get guys with very different experiences and expectations, each of whom can easily forget that and assume everyone is coming from the some place.

• Members

. . . the most important being that when you were young, you all started out with more or less the same footing.

Now you get guys with very different experiences and expectations, each of whom can easily forget that and assume everyone is coming from the some place.

True, and that goes back to the "write up a list" topic on the other thread. I think when you don't do that you risk everyone coming with their own plans for what "could be" and then the disagreements come up later when four different "could be" plans try to get implemented at the same time. Would have been much better to decide all that at the onset.

But in this thread I was just thinking more of "bands that suck". I'll tolerate some young teenagers in their sucky start up band because they're young and that's part of the process and their youthfulness and energy will get them by until they learn how to play better. We all went through that. But a bunch of old dudes who suck? Yuck.

• Members

True, and that goes back to the "write up a list" topic on the other thread. I think when you don't do that you risk everyone coming with their own plans for what "could be" and then the disagreements come up later when four different "could be" plans try to get implemented at the same time. Would have been much better to decide all that at the onset.

But in this thread I was just thinking more of "bands that suck". I'll tolerate some young teenagers in their sucky start up band because they're young and that's part of the process and their youthfulness and energy will get them by until they learn how to play better. We all went through that. But a bunch of old dudes who suck? Yuck.

I don't think it's either/or. Guys just have different ideas of what "professionalism" means.

There are also different degrees of difficulty with the music you're going to play and how hard you're willing to work to tackle songs outside your comfort zone.

Archived