Dad Bands: your definition.

TheRinger

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right now I play in a Dad band, but one of the guy actually has kid older than me. They're not trying to relive their "glory days". Personally, I'd rather play with normal looking 50 year olds than 50 year olds who are dying their thinning spikey hair and dressing like they are in their mid 20s. It's all personal preference though. Some people like pepperoni on their pizza, some people like mushrooms. They play out as much as they want, although I'd like to play out more often and will probably need to find an additional band to do so.

• Members

What type of venues are you playing to teenagers at?
:confused:

Most of the places are over 21, but we have a couple of bar/restaurant places that don't have the age restrictions. Even in the 21 and over places, those in their 20s seem to enjoy us as much as those in their 40s.

• Members

I disagree with this completely. It's an attitude and a look. When you're on stage, if you look the same as you do cutting the grass, you're in a dad band. There is middle ground between putting in some effort and purple spike hair.

We have a pretty good following in the teenage and early 20 demographic for several reasons. We sound good. We play newer music that they know and like. We don't remind them of their parents.

Honestly in this and the music stand thread, it sounds like some of the senior guys here feel that because they're getting a big older there's no point in putting in any effort. You guys seem to have just given up.

Wonder what you will be playing when you get older?

Look, I'm a full timer. Getting better and growing as a musician is part of what I do for a living. But what are you going to do when you don't have the TIME to play it the way you wanted to when you were younger? When you are good, know your stuff, and want to keep playing, and believe that your experience delivers some value? Cuz in 20 years, whatever you are wearing as cool clothes now, will not be seen as a cool thing to wear at a gig. And then YOU will be judged for merely LIVING LONGER than younger musicians. And if you are not playing for a living, but still playing, you will probably be in a dad band playing something similar to what you are playing now.....

• Members

Wonder what you will be playing when you get older?

Look, I'm a full timer. Getting better and growing as a musician is part of what I do for a living. But what are you going to do when you don't have the TIME to play it the way you wanted to when you were younger? When you are good, know your stuff, and want to keep playing, and believe that your experience delivers some value? Cuz in 20 years, whatever you are wearing as cool clothes now, will not be seen as a cool thing to wear at a gig. And then YOU will be judged for merely LIVING LONGER than younger musicians. And if you are not playing for a living, but still playing, you will probably be in a dad band playing something similar to what you are playing now.....

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the older guys on this board and in this thread. You're still missing the point about what makes up a "dad" band. The term as it is used around here, as I said, is guys that have been out of it for 25 years and are taking up where they left off in high school. They put no effort into appearance or staying current with the song list. They wear shorts to their $200 dive bar and cookout gigs. You can change the definition if you like, but that's what we're talking about here. That's a category I'll never fall into.

• Members

...what makes up a "dad" band. The term
as it is used around here,
as I said, is guys that have been out of it for 25 years and are taking up where they left off in high school. They put no effort into appearance or staying current with the song list. They wear shorts to their $200 dive bar and cookout gigs.

There it is. Well put.

• Members

Hmmmmm not sure if I'm in a dad band.

I'm definitely older, 41, and the youngest in our group. I think the oldest is 46. The drummer and I have played off and on together since I was 14. We don't play bars, since we are too old to be playing to the 18 - 25 crowd. We do play private and corporate parties, which pay pretty good. We all have nice gear, I have a pretty sweet PA, lights etc etc, so we do bring some production with us, and it shows.

We don't play every weekend, but we are tight, and can even usually do a presentable job of most requests. Our setlist is older in places, but newer in others. A lot of our crowd wouldn't know "{censored} You" if it was played back to back on the radio for them, but Born Free fits right into our set nicely.

We often wear jeans, but not cargo shorts (lol) no music stands, and we practice at home alone, and together. Not really trying to relive any glory days. Sex Drugs n Rock n Roll have given way to a couple of beer per set, and playing a clean, tight show.

I figure we must be a "dad band" to the young-uns, but then again, who knows.

:idk:

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the older guys on this board and in this thread. You're still missing the point about what makes up a "dad" band. The term as it is used around here, as I said, is guys that have been out of it for 25 years and are taking up where they left off in high school. They put no effort into appearance or staying current with the song list. They wear shorts to their $200 dive bar and cookout gigs. You can change the definition if you like, but that's what we're talking about here. That's a category I'll never fall into.

OK, but ......... What's wrong with that? I get what you are saying, I just don't get why so many appear to look down on it?

I'm barely an amateur, but I'm just trying to understand the pro point of view. For instance, I get the scorn poured on play to play and weekend warriors - they tend to lower the market price for actual pro bands. I understand that. Do dad bands do the same thing ?

• Members

OK, but ......... What's
wrong
with that? I get what you are saying, I just don't get why so many appear to look down on it?

They give people a negative perception of cover bands. Bars hire them because they work cheaply and then they deliver an inferior product. People go out and see a bunch of old, overweight guys wearing shorts, using music stands and playing 40 year old songs through a $500 PA and they come away with that being their perception of what cover bands are. The rest of us get dragged down by the association.

• Members

They give people a negative perception of cover bands. Bars hire them because they work cheaply and then they deliver an inferior product. People go out and see a bunch of old, overweight guys wearing shorts, using music stands and playing 40 year old songs through a $500 PA and they come away with that being their perception of what cover bands are. The rest of us get dragged down by the association.

You and I are on the same page with regard to always trying to put on a better show, but I don't think Dad bands drag the rest of us down. In San Diego at least, there's definitely venues that are at that $200-$300 dad band level. We started there, it sucked competing with Dad bands, but now we're past that and at better venues and better pay. You've got to start somewhere, it's just that dad bands never get past somewhere.

• Members

Could we see one of your videos, please?

• Members

LOL,, oh brother.

• Members

Think what you like. My desire to maintain anonymity has nothing to do with the validity of my points.

Your "points" are to lump all of us into a group and put us down. Never mind that none of us actually conform to all of your traits, even if we make allowances for your exaggerations . . . like the $500 PA.

"You hang that jacket on me. It's too tight . . . don't fit. Are you for real?"

Dr. John

• Members

Your "points" are to lump all of us into a group and put us down. Never mind that none of us actually conform to all of your traits, even if we make allowances for your exaggerations . . . like the $500 PA.

"You hang that jacket on me. It's too tight . . . don't fit. Are you for real?"

Dr. John

If you don't conform to those traits, perhaps yours isn't a "dad" band after all. Keep in mind I'm a dad and a geezer too.

• Members

I think you guys are reading what you want to read instead of what I'm actually saying. Not every dad or older guy is in a "dad" band.

I agree with this 100%.

Being older, having kids, etc doesn't make a band a dad band. Being older, having kids, and being a hack makes a band a dad band. Dad band = older guys with kids who are also hacks.

Its like insects/bugs, sort of.

• Members

I have never seen a group that conforms to ALL of your stereotypes.

I have seen few, if any, who don't "fall down" on one or more.

That's the problem with stereotypes. They're lazy. If you want to discuss the downside to each one individually, as we've done to death with music stands, that's fine, but your implications that to fall down on, what? . . .. two or three (how many "failures" gives you the title? You haven't made that clear) justifies the derogatory title is pointless.

• Members

I have never seen a group that conforms to ALL of your stereotypes.

I have seen few, if any, who don't "fall down" on one or more.

That's the problem with stereotypes. They're lazy. If you want to discuss the downside to each one individually, as we've done to death with music stands, that's fine, but your implications that to fall down on, what? . . .. two or three (how many "failures" gives you the title? You haven't made that clear) justifies the derogatory title is pointless.

OK I am beginning to understand why I'm confused. When I think of a dad band, I rarely think of them getting paid. I can understand the derision related to dragging prices/perception down. Where I am, from what I have seen, dad bands don't get paid and are usually doing charity.

However, it now appears as if some people are equating older guys in bands with hacks (?????) so basically if you are not in what you consider a 'pro' band, you are a hack ?? And therefor anyone in a pro band is NOT a hack?? Those things seem like they would not necessarily mutually exclusive ????? I'm confused again!

Archived