Just Joined A Blues Band

ski219

• Members

So I have been on the beach ( not literally) for a few months after leaving the original project I was in for the past 3+ years.  I auditioned with and joined a blues band last week and I hav esome questions for you guys.

What are essential/ must play songs, if any?

How do you keep things interesting... I say a band this weekend that, while all good players, soon became drone as one endless solo blended into another an dthe small club they were playing was basically emptied out by a few songs into set 2.

We are 2 guitars, bass, drums.  Should we be looking for keys?  harp?

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

Only the best players can keep a trad blues band interesting for long ....been there .

There is so many styles of blues though  and so many ways you can go with it.  You just have to make it interesting for EVERBODY (aka the crowd), not some guy who wants to do a SRV impression for 15 minutes of "the Sky is Crying" or "Red House".  There is plenty of danceable blues stuff to keep it interesting for the crowd.  Just don't expect the same gigs as top 40/party bands/etc. 

• Members

ski219 wrote:

So I have been on the beach ( not literally) for a few months after leaving the original project I was in for the past 3+ years.  I auditioned with and joined a blues band last week and I hav esome questions for you guys.

What are essential/ must play songs, if any?

The songs the band already plays would be a good start.

• Members

ski219 wrote:

How do you keep things interesting... I say a band this weekend that, while all good players, soon became drone as one endless solo blended into another an dthe small club they were playing was basically emptied out by a few songs into set 2

We are 2 guitars, bass, drums.  Should we be looking for keys?  harp?

I don't know much about essential blues songs, but I think that the obvious place to start would be:

A) shorten up the solos.   As much as some of the guys in the band are probably there just SO they can get their solo-jones on, impress upon them that they can probably get it just as well with four 30-second solos spread out across 4 different songs as well as they can with one 2-minute solo.   And it will be much less boring for the audience that way.

B) vary the style and tempo of the songs as much as possible.  If the next song sounds like the last one to the average listener, you're going to bore them.   Presuming this is a new band just starting out, you've got to build up to having a large following of hardcore blues afficienados who will come specifically to hear your long extended solos.

Archived