Your groupies stories. Here.

brikus

• Members

Okay, Brikus. Here's another to whet your whistle.

The band was playing in a town on our regular rotation, and I noticed a young chick I hadn't seen there before. She wasn't a 10 by any means, but she was young and tender, and those doe eyes get me every time.

Anyway, we converse on my breaks, and make some plans for the "after-party". We leave the club in her car, heading back to her place. It's a small apartment and not too far from the club. We feast on each other for a while, and her inexperience was showing. I don't think she was a virgin, but she wasn't too far from it. I taught her a few things about what men like, and specifically what THIS man liked. Things went along pretty smoothly, with her eagerness to learn being a real turn on.

The next morning, we wake up and go some more, and then have some breakfast. After some grub I tell her that I need to get back to the band house, and we go out to her car, which is where a big surprise was waiting.

Someone had vandalized her car, and I was so embarrassed for her. They had taken red lipstick and written "SLUT" WHORE" and "BITCH" all over it. There was all sorts of mess on it, which looked like mud, eggs, and Pepsi, or something. It was dried up, like it had been there a little while.

I guessed that someone else in the bar had their eye on me, and when I left with this chick they followed us, and took out their revenge on her car. I suppose there may have been some other motive, but she claimed not to have any enemies.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun up until we found her car like that. We went to one of those DIY car washes and I hosed most of that crap off, but there were still remnants of it when she dropped me off. I never saw her again, so I don't know anything else. I suppose the vandal(s) got their point across, right or wrong. frown.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Rich4Once

Okay, Brikus. Here's another to whet your whistle.

The band was playing in a town on our regular rotation, and I noticed a young chick I hadn't seen there before. She wasn't a 10 by any means, but she was young and tender, and those doe eyes get me every time.

Anyway, we converse on my breaks, and make some plans for the "after-party". We leave the club in her car, heading back to her place. It's a small apartment and not too far from the club. We feast on each other for a while, and her inexperience was showing. I don't think she was a virgin, but she wasn't too far from it. I taught her a few things about what men like, and specifically what THIS man liked. Things went along pretty smoothly, with her eagerness to learn being a real turn on.

The next morning, we wake up and go some more, and then have some breakfast. After some grub I tell her that I need to get back to the band house, and we go out to her car, which is where a big surprise was waiting.

Someone had vandalized her car, and I was so embarrassed for her. They had taken red lipstick and written "SLUT" WHORE" and "BITCH" all over it. There was all sorts of mess on it, which looked like mud, eggs, and Pepsi, or something. It was dried up, like it had been there a little while.

I guessed that someone else in the bar had their eye on me, and when I left with this chick they followed us, and took out their revenge on her car. I suppose there may have been some other motive, but she claimed not to have any enemies.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun up until we found her car like that. We went to one of those DIY car washes and I hosed most of that crap off, but there were still remnants of it when she dropped me off. I never saw her again, so I don't know anything else. I suppose the vandal(s) got their point across, right or wrong. frown.gif

Well, this doesn't wet my whistle as you say, but it's still fun to read. If your story is true that sucks...that kind of vandalizing behaviour is despicable.

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

Well, this doesn't wet my whistle as you say, but it's still fun to read. If your story is true that sucks...that kind of vandalizing behaviour is despicable.

What do you mean "if your story is true"??? Why on earth would I make up such a terrible story?

• Members

Originally posted by brikus

as a time killer, for example...

Oh....I guess it hadn't occurred to me that people would do that. As for me, if it's not true, I'm not writing it. I have enough real experience to draw from, that making things up just isn't worth the trouble.

• Members

First of all, let me say thanks to Terry for the wonderful story of life on the road. Luckily, I found it just recently and was able to read it in it's entirety without the wait for installments that some had to endure. Great story!

Well, some asked earlier for a perspective from an "older rocker" on life on the road, i.e. "life with the groupies", so here goes.

Growing up in rural Tennessee during the '60's I have to say that playing in local bands did not fully prepare me for what was to be my first real encounter with groupies on the "road".

While I had been playing for many years around the bars in the middle TN area, my first oportunity to join a real functional "road band" didn't come until '74 and that came as a total accident.

I had been playing with a group of local musicians who all had asperations of "making it big in the music industry". But then again, who didn't in those days of free love and the hippie(that's me) movement. Woodstock made us all believe that all it took was that one break and we would be as famous as Jimi, Janis, and all the rest.

When an old band mate of theirs showed up at one of our shows, unannounced, my radar said "Beware, something's up with this!", but being the impetuous youth that I was, I just chalked it up to the fact that he was wearing an unzipped satin jacket with no t-shirt underneath, showing off his "Florida Road Tan" in November. Should have paid more attention to that radar...

To make a long story short, he was there to recruit several of my band mates to start a new band with the intent of touring the south east and making a {censored}-pot full of money while doinking every groupie in 7 southeren states. It seems that he had already been touring with another band who wouldn't let him be the front man, so he quit to form HIS band so that he could run the show so to speak. He had an agent lined up in Atlanta, and the cash to procure a huge PA system. All he needed were the players to back him(He also played guitar)

The dreaded meeting took place the next week where our drummer and keyboard player announced that they were leaving to pursue their dreams of living the "road" life. Needless to say, our current band for all intents and purposes was dead and burried.

After a few weeks, I got a call from the drummer wanting to know if I would help them put together a PA and help get the sound system dialed in as I had some expertise in this area. They had a sound man, but he was not ready for prime time just yet and would greatly appeciate the help. They had only a short time to get ready for the first "tour" and had sceduled a couple of gigs locally to test the waters and get the act down. Reluctantly, I agreed to help them as much as I could. They really were good guys and why should I be put off by their wanting to leave to go on the road. I guess I was just somewhat envious.

I had been going to a tech school to learn about a new thing called microprocessors which had just been getting started by a little company called "Intel"(who knew) and was scheduled to make a trip to Houston the next month to look for work in this field, as Houston was a hotbed for the industry at the time. I agreed to do what I could in the meantime.

There really is a groupie story in here somewhere and I'll get to it eventually.

thumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by edbud

First of all, let me say thanks to Terry for the wonderful story of life on the road. Luckily, I found it just recently and was able to read it in it's entirety without the wait for installments that some had to endure. Great story!

Well, some asked earlier for a perspective from an "older rocker" on life on the road, i.e. "life with the groupies", so here goes.

Growing up in rural Tennessee during the '60's I have to say that playing in local bands did not fully prepare me for what was to be my first real encounter with groupies on the "road".

While I had been playing for many years around the bars in the middle TN area, my first oportunity to join a real functional "road band" didn't come until '74 and that came as a total accident.

I had been playing with a group of local musicians who all had asperations of "making it big in the music industry". But then again, who didn't in those days of free love and the hippie(that's me) movement. Woodstock made us all believe that all it took was that one break and we would be as famous as Jimi, Janis, and all the rest.

When an old band mate of theirs showed up at one of our shows, unannounced, my radar said "Beware, something's up with this!", but being the impetuous youth that I was, I just chalked it up to the fact that he was wearing an unzipped satin jacket with no t-shirt underneath, showing off his "Florida Road Tan" in November. Should have paid more attention to that radar...

To make a long story short, he was there to recruit several of my band mates to start a new band with the intent of touring the south east and making a {censored}-pot full of money while doinking every groupie in 7 southeren states. It seems that he had already been touring with another band who wouldn't let him be the front man, so he quit to form HIS band so that he could run the show so to speak. He had an agent lined up in Atlanta, and the cash to procure a huge PA system. All he needed were the players to back him(He also played guitar)

The dreaded meeting took place the next week where our drummer and keyboard player announced that they were leaving to pursue their dreams of living the "road" life. Needless to say, our current band for all intents and purposes was dead and burried.

After a few weeks, I got a call from the drummer wanting to know if I would help them put together a PA and help get the sound system dialed in as I had some expertise in this area. They had a sound man, but he was not ready for prime time just yet and would greatly appeciate the help. They had only a short time to get ready for the first "tour" and had sceduled a couple of gigs locally to test the waters and get the act down. Reluctantly, I agreed to help them as much as I could. They really were good guys and why should I be put off by their wanting to leave to go on the road. I guess I was just somewhat envious.

I had been going to a tech school to learn about a new thing called microprocessors which had just been getting started by a little company called "Intel"(who knew) and was scheduled to make a trip to Houston the next month to look for work in this field, as Houston was a hotbed for the industry at the time. I agreed to do what I could in the meantime.

There really is a groupie story in here somewhere and I'll get to it eventually.

thumb.gif

Since you played around that part of Tennessee did you ever run into a group of characters called Maggie Lee & The Percussions? Several folks that played in that band back in the late sixties eventually moved to Ft Walton Beach, Florida to play with Nyman Furr in the Little Juice Band. I played with the Little Juice Band in the early eighties. As far as I know Nyman Furr is currently living in Camden, Tennessee.

• Members

Hey Roy,

The name "The Percussions" does ring a bell, but I don't believe we ever played nearby or met in person. Those days sometimes come in "as a haze" if you know what I mean.

On with the tale.....

After I got to Houston, I found that work in my field was abundant to the point you could quit one job on Friday and start a new one on Monday making $1.00 more an hour. I spent two weeks there and accepted a job as a field service engineer with the agreement that it would take me several weeks to tie up loose ends in TN and move myself to Houston.

Upon returning to TN, I got a phone message from the drummer saying that he needed to speak with me urgently. I guessed they had experienced problems with the PA and wanted my help, but to my surprise that wasn't it at all.

I walked in to find that the bass player who had joined the band wasn't able to go on the road afterall. Seems his parents who had footed the bill for his college education, he had about a year left for his degree, had threatened to disown him and cut him out of their will if he did not finish college as he had promised. Thus the delima....how to replace him with less than two weeks until the kick off of the tour at C W Shaw's in Atlanta.

Their thinking was that since they played mostly the songs that our previous band had played, the learning curve for me would be very short. What to do, what to do? A secure job as an engineer in Houston with a future, or a life on the road living out of a suitcase.

I decided that it was time to solicite the advise of someone that I trusted more than anyone on earth, my Father. My Father, while having only an 8th grade education was wise way beyond anyone else that I knew so I posed the question to him, already guessing what his answer would be. Boy was I shocked when the answer came.

He first asked me several questions. "Did you have any problems finding a job once you got to Houston?" No sir! "Will you lose the knowledge that you have that would enable you to get another job in that field if you don't accept this job?" No sir.

Well, since it has been your dream to earn a living in the music business ever since you were a young boy, if you don't try it now that you have the chance you will always look back with regret and wonder "what if". If it doesn't work out, you can always get another job. Sage advice indeed!

I called the band with my answer and we began preparing for the tour. As I said, the first stop was Atlanta for a meeting with our agent and a gig at Chuck Shaw's club. The gig proved most memorable in itself, but that's another story unto itself.

On the trip from TN to Atlanta, we had a discussion on the bus about the difference between gigging locally vs. going on the road and the issue of groupies came up. I was warned that I hadn't seen anything yet. The lead player said that he felt that the groupies especially in Florida, had no inhibitions at all and that I would be surprised by some of the goings on that I would witness. Yeah right, I said.

One thing became immediately evident during the first few shows. The groupies would gather at the foot of the stage or nearby and start planning their strategy. Our "fearless leader" being the front man and wearing "stage clothes" would almost always get his pick of the litter, and then the rest of the band ,and then the road crew, just seemed to be the order of things. It is the way it is...........just let it be!

Let me just say that I've allways been a jeans and tshirt kind of guy and no one could change that, not even groupies who were attracted to the sequins and satin fluff.

After the gig was over, we packed up the guitars and headed downtown. It seems that Atlanta had a night life like no other and the bands playing locally would all congregate after their gigs at a downtown club to watch the floor shows and party with one another.

I noticed everyone at the table watching me for a reaction as we watched the "ladies" dressed in their gowns strolling down the runway in the middle of the floor and twirling to everyone's applause, but didn't pay it much mind. Eventually, I had to give back my last few beers and asked which way to the little boy's room. This caused a little chatter at the table and a few snickers also as they pointed to the rear of the room.

As I rounded the turn to the restrooms holding it as best as I could, I noticed the signs on the doors read "Gay" and "Straight".

Ha ha, I thought as I entered the "Straight" bathroom and bellyed up to first urinal to let 'er rip. As I was just getting started good, the door opened and a tall, very attractive blonde lady in a very short black dress walked in and proceeded to the first stall to take care of business. Well let me say that my willie shrank so quickly that I almost wet my pants. I rushed back to the table and asked what had just happened. I asked if she was a real lady or one of the supposed "ladies" on the stage. The question was asked "Which restroom were you in?" Duh, straights was my reply, to which they replied "Then she was a real lady, what's the problem?" I guess I wasn't ready for unisex bathrooms with multiple stalls/urinals. I should have been prepared for what happened next, but some country boys never learn..........