Think I'm Going to Start A Band

Potts

• Members

I've been toying with the idea for awhile now. It won't be anything serious-- as a matter of fact it'll be a once a month thing probably playing what I do now but with a full band. I always thought it would be fun to front a band with my acoustic and leave all the nutty guitar playing to someone else. Obviously it won't be a major money gig because I do well playing solo gigs. I don't know- I can probably get about  $500-600 a night right out of the gate which will be OK for a 4 piece. 

I think I may get lucky too. My bud was thinking that I could just borrow his band and make it easy on everyone. I told him that the only thing I'm looking for is complete control over the setlist and none of them have any issues with it. They're all professionals and will basically be doing me a favor by backing me up. I think it could be pretty cool for both me and my "fans" to be in a different environment once in awhile. 

Although this will be casual, hopefully this thing will be super tight and full of musicianship. We'll see...

• Members

interesting project. The bass player and myself picked up a weekly show that is suppose to run till ock , been doing it all summer. Started with a 50 song list with the keys sigs , and hit it cold on the first gig. Its a pretty tight show now and getting tighter. Not sure if it will go past the expiration date. Typically you are gonna start out a little loose on the first shows and tight up as you go. Most guys in working band just wanna show up and get paid while the act is being built.

• Members

Potts wrote:

I've been toying with the idea for awhile now. It won't be anything serious-- as a matter of fact it'll be a once a month thing probably playing what I do now but with a full band. I always thought it would be fun to front a band with my acoustic and leave all the nutty guitar playing to someone else. Obviously it won't be a major money gig because I do well playing solo gigs. I don't know- I can probably get about  $500-600 a night right out of the gate which will be OK for a 4 piece. 

I think I may get lucky too. My bud was thinking that I could just borrow his band and make it easy on everyone. I told him that the only thing I'm looking for is complete control over the setlist and none of them have any issues with it. They're all professionals and will basically be doing me a favor by backing me up. I think it could be pretty cool for both me and my "fans" to be in a different environment once in awhile. 

Although this will be casual, hopefully this thing will be super tight and full of musicianship. We'll see...

The two biggest issues you may face will be 1) creative control and 2) being super tight. That's certainly been my experience in trying this. 

I shut my band down in 2012 to focus solely on my solo project. I did, however, keep my bass player and drummer to do a trio every month or two. And here's what I discovered: 

I'm always adding new material. They don't keep up with it, because they didn't have any input in selecting it. For them, it's no different than a pickup gig. They both play with other projects. Because of this, the band is never tight. It's adequate, and some nights nearly good, even great. Occasionally there are flashes of brilliance. But we don't play enough to be consistently tight, and they know the band is a side thing even for me, so why should they invest a ton of commitment to it? They shy away from even attempting the newer material and want to fall back on the old stuff we did in the band when I was doing a completely different thing, and had a keyboard  and a sax player. They'll play the new stuff, but is sounds tentative and sloppy to me. Maybe the crowd doesn't know the difference, but I do. 

When I started the project, adding a rhythm section to my solo act, they were both all stoked about it. They still enjoy it. But all the cool stuff they talked about doing in the beginning (the drummer using a customized percussion setup as opposed to a full kit, the bass player playing second guitar while the drummer played hand percussion on some songs, etc) just never materialized. Their investment level is low into the project because it isn't a main gig for any of us. Lately, they've been calling me and saying "oh, shoot, I know I said i could do that gig, but I have a boat race that weekend" or "my main band called and said thay got a gig and need me for it the same night." So I end up getting subs to play and it reminds me why I'm doing a solo gig in the first place.

Playing what I want, when I want, the way I want, if I want is a big deal to me, as it turns out, and the solo gig has spoiled me. If I can't have a band that can play the songs as well as I can play them as a solo, I don't want to mess with it. And in order to have them play well and tight, they have to be committed to regular reherasal (not in the cards for me, I'm way too busy and getting everyone's scheule to align is a nightmare),  have some sense of ownership in the material (initially, they may say they're okay with being a side man, but at some point it won't be enough for them, they're going to want to play their favorite songs, too). And  since it's my project, I have to ask myself if I'm okay with doing longer and later gigs and loading up a PA and lights, setting it up, tearing it down and putting it away every time we play for the same money, or even less, than I make as a solo with 1/4 the gear.    

It's supposed to be fun as well as profitable, but without a solid commitment by everyone involved, including myself, it will never be either. Just my take. I'm thinking my October trio gig will likely be the last. Not trying to be a wet blanket, and it may well work for you. Just sharing my experience. I often long for a good tight band, but then I remember why I left it in the first place. 

• Members

Naw Strat... Great post and all valid points. To be honest I'm just going out of my mind with this solo stuff. Basic math states that its been 3 years and about 475 gigs since I've played in a band setting. I'm hoping I can grab the best of the best locally so we can do a couple of rehearsals and go. You're correct though I may never get as tight as I hope to be though going that route.

• Members

If you're okay with it being what it is, you can have fun. I can pretty much live with just about everthing about it on occasion except for the having to find subs all the time. That's my deal breaker.

I know what you mean about solo gigs becoming a grind, Lately I've had 3-4 a week.  I find myslef sometimes with my mind wandering and realize I just did 3 songs and I can't remember what they were  :smiley-wtf:

• Members

Good luck. We can't seem to find players good enough..In fact, I NEVER can seem to find players that have the same level of commitment to playing the songs as well as I do. Mark and I have been through a bunch a players and have shut the idea down for now because it's sad. Gonna do everything ourselves with our tracks for now then bring in a bass player when we've got the show and system worked out. Mark's keys will be on tracks and he'll play drums....If you can find guys I say do it because it will be fun! 

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

Good luck. We can't seem to find players good enough..In fact, I NEVER can seem to find players that have the same level of commitment to playing the songs well as I do. Mark and I have been through a bunch a players and have shut the idea down for now because it's sad. Gonna do everything ourselves with our tracks for now then bring in a bass player when we've got the show and system worked out. Mark's keys will be on tracks and he'll play drums....If you can find guys I say do it because it will be fun! 

I can't belive that I'm going to tell this to a guy that lives in Nashville, but Buffalo has an INSANE amount of amazing players. 

• Members

Go serious or go home. Bars are a waste of time unless you like that kind of scene, that kind of money, no future.

Just reading about one of the basists for Soundgarden and Nirvanna...fired from both bands, joined the Army. Reading between the lines, those bands, that seemingly were the poster bands for super slackers, in reality just weren't going to put up with anything short of getting it done.

I think there is a lesson in here, especially for the guys that seemingly want to project a 'fart off, play music, and party' type of vibe, when in reality, it's all original music, everyone is jacked to play well, and slackers, dead weight, children, drug addicts ect are kicked to the curb with impunity.

I love it when the truth comes out. Rolling Stone and their hype can suck it.

Archived