Test Drive Tonight

dan88z

• Members

We're going to test drive a few new songs tonight. It's at a place we play maybe 5x a year, so a regular gig, but not real regular. We haven't been there since early July.

On the list, as "new to us" songs:

Notorious- Duran Duran

Faithfully- Journey

Hella Good- No Doubt

we also have Set Fire to the Rain by Adele that is on it's 2nd week on our list. It killed last week as our singer nails it, and I'll Be Alright Without You by Journey. (we've been on a Journey's Greatest Hits roll, we're going to learn Only the Young soon too).

It'll be interesting to see how the Duran and No Doubt goes over. I'm sure Faithfully will work. We have cool arrangements on all of them. We'll give them a few gigs and see what happens. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't!

• Members

Yeah, let us know.  

I've often thought about doing Faithfully as a big lighters-waving-back-and-forth singalong ballad.   I know it would work as such, just never got around to doing it.

Hella Good is one I've always been on the fence about whether it would work or not (for us anyway).   My sense is that it needs to become a bit more of a "classic" first.   Something came on the radio the other day and it occurred to me that Hella Good would mash up with it really well, but I can't remember what it was now.  LOL.   I gotta start writing this stuff down or telling Siri or something.   Getting old sucks.

Notorious?   Hmmm...  Not sure about that one, but like you said, you never know until you try!

• Members

Hella Good is one I've always wanted to do but shyed away from because of all the keyboard parts. Then I saw some guitar bands do it and thought, wth, we can do this too. The only part I'm not covering is that sequenced bass part that runs thru the entire song.

I heard Notorious and said this one is right up our alley band wise. It might be one of those that we like but the audience doesn't, and we'll have to dump it, but it only took a half hour to put together so it's not like we spend a lot of time on it. We're putting it in a medley that is Rolling in the Deep/Crazy/Hella Good/I Can't Go For That/Notorious. The medley was Deep/Crazy/I Can't Go and it always has the dancers up, so we're setting these 2 new ones up for success by putting them in there.

Faithfully, our singer will rock it, and I like having a group of ballads we can rotate in and out of the lineup. We do a really nice version of Songbird by Fleetwood Mac, along with At Last, I Can't Tell You Why, Home (Michael Buble), and Open Arms that we move in and out. We only do 2 ballads a night usually, sometimes 3 and having several to choose from keeps it fresh for us. 

• Members

we were laughing at rehearsal the other night, and said why don't we just get it over with and do the entire greatest hits album, we're almost halfway there already! Separate Ways, Don't Stop, I'll Be Alright, Open Arms, Faithfully are all on our list. I was never a huge Journey fan but I'm enjoying it now, especially with a singer who more than does it justice.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Hella Good is one I've always been on the fence about whether it would work or not (for us anyway).   My sense is that it needs to become a bit more of a "classic" first.   Something came on the radio the other day and it occurred to me that Hella Good would mash up with it really well, but I can't remember what it was now.  LOL.   I gotta start writing this stuff down or telling Siri or something.   Getting old sucks.

We used to medley Hella Good with Yeah (Usher), but that was almost 5 years ago. If I remember correctly, Yeah got a great reaction but Hella Good flopped.

Archived