And now... IEMs?

mstreck

• Members

I got a few PM's and facebook messages offering good advice and opinions - and none of them negative towards that setup, so I took teh plunge and both the Galaxy and Shure earbuds will arrive tomorrow. We have a few weeks off, so that will give me some time to get used to them at rehearsals. thumb.gif

• Members

I have used one of those Galaxy's and they're pretty good. Super long range and decent sound quality although they have a audible hum when used in stereo mode. Beware that they are no good for bass players as they do only send 60Hz~16KHz frequency response. I'm a guitar player/singer and the freq response was no problem for me. Now I use a Sennheiser iem 300 G2 and that's a whole lot better. In the long run you'll want something better like the Sennheiser/Shure iems.

The se215 earbuds are pretty low quality if you ask me. Look for Westone um3x buds. They're the best universal iems you can get. They're really worth the money.

• Members

Rocketking wrote:

Beware that they are no good for bass players as they do only send 
60Hz~16KHz frequency response. I'm a guitar player/singer and the freq response was no problem for me.

I use an AS-900 which is rated 80Hz-16KHz with bass no prob. Last night I was doing sound for a band where the bass player is ampless and I gave him a coaxial 10" monitor high passed at 100 Hz (plus the monitor itself is -4db at 100Hz) and he loved it. Unless you have an overwelming need to not hear what notes you are playing any of that is just fine (AKA if you just want low end mud to cover up your mistakes). You get a LOT of low end from the backwash of the subs. Heck my 2x12 cabs only go down flat to 53Hz. YMMV.

Archived