What camera?

LittleWiggler

• Members

What are you trying to capture. Just some low cost video that you can review after a show for reference or usable video for marketing and other purposes.

I currently use three cameras 

I just bought a Canon HF G20 ($1100) that is the bomb. Great low light sensitivity with excellent stabilization. Audio is decent. I set it and forget it. 

I have a pair of Canon HV 40's ($750 each) These were my prime cameras for three years. Still  mini DV tape. (At the time...) They had excellent low light performance and capture was simple with my set up. One cam is busted (I put the tripod mount through the control plate... ugh!) but the other cam I fitted with a fisheye lens to give a groovy curve and to capture in more light. 

My favorite for capturing cool B-roll shots is a little $90 Canon ELPH 300. I have it on a monopod stick which I can reach into the crowd from the stage. The condenser mic is blasted beyond 90dbs but the video footage is very cool under stage lit conditions. I was going to spend $400 on a Go Pro but be warned these don't perform well under low light. Ever see their demos... it's always bright sunshine. Pull up some dark camera footage of a nightclub on You Tube and it's a pixelated mess. 

I have a pair of Rode Stereo Video mics ($300 each). These are essential for getting on camera recording. And belive me syncing audio even with iMovie or Final Cut X is a chore. If I can get usable camera audio... that's what I'm going with. 

In total I've probably invested well over $3K. It's not neccesary to go with all of that equipement but honestly, regardless what anyone says it's hard to capture any low light video in a nightclub without a cutting edge sensor and a big piece of glass. And that excludes most budget camcorders under $700. 

• Members

I have a Canon M40 series (M41 actually) that can see better in the dark that I can. I think the new version is the M50, under $400. Most Canon's also have line level inputs with manual level setting for recording off a mixer or whatever (unlike most other prosumer brands).

• Members

Unless you have someone with video experience, and you're going to be shooting under controlled conditions, get a video camera. If it doesn't handle loud audio input levels, get something like the Zoom H4N for audio. A still camera with video capability won't cut it as a primary video camera from my experience. Including dSLR's. It can in the right hands under the right conditions, but under most live conditions, you'll end up either missing a lot of shots or giving up their strengths. Whatever your budget is, you'll want the model at that price point with the best low light performance and if you don't want to use a separate device for audio, high dB handling.

I've never shopped in earnest for video cameras, though, so specifically I couldn't tell you what would be a good choice.

• Members

The GoPro makes for very cool static shots. Like, rolling on the drummer and/or his kit. The noisy video actually adds to it IMO, because that bit of rawness adds some sort of authentic energy that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not actually sure if it was actually a GoPro or another very compact very wide angle camera, but I loved the shots in the edit whatever the cameras were.

• Members

Just as an aside, how do folks get good shots with their cameras? IME you either end up shooting in a near empty room - or can't find a safe spot to put your tripod and if you can you just get shots of the crowd's backs facepalm.gif . I've tried shooting from FOH but now that I mix via iPad i don't even have that option frown.gif .

• Members

A good stage helps. A lot. Everywhere we've set up cameras has been well equipped in that department. I know that doesn't help. In theory though, given a clearish line of sight, you want to get the camera above the audience's heads. More often than not it helps to be further back and zoomed in. That will minimize the appearance of the unused space.

Archived