Bandmates going off the deep end

WynnD

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

By the way, StratGuy, I totally got what you were saying. You can't mic up a pin dropping on a stage full of horns and expect to hear anything but feedback. Just piling on.

There was a band that had horns that played our fall concert series.  Mingo Fishtrap.  Great band.  they had these things that were in front of the mics for the trumpets that calmed them down a lot ,, Great mix super band mosnter players and a good show.   Almost like what you see in front of a mic for vocals in a studio.

http://www.youtube.com/mingofishtrap

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The trumpets in Mingo Fishtrap were probably using Soundbacks. They're perspex shields that surround the mic and reflect some sound back to the player, effectively working as a monitor. It would mean the horns would perhaps need less in the wedge as they'd be getting that reflection so might reduce feedback issues. I see no reason why a singer couldn't use one, except for the visual impact.

I have one in my case and use it any time I'm on a floor standing mic rather than a clip-on. It's saved my chops on numerous occasions.

• Members

Trumpets often don't need to be on mic and through the PA from the audience's perspective; they're on the loud end! I can blow over a rock band and be heard, unless it's crazy loud. The problem is, if you can't hear YOURSELF you over blow and the chops die. Since there are very few singers that can safely project over a band without going through the PA it's not really a good comparison but if your singer can't hear him/herself they're in a world of trouble. Singers, and horn players, NEED that monitoring, no matter what it takes to make it work.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Like I said. A fairly quiet voice that requires her monitor so loud it's pretty much on the edge of feeding back. Other than that, all I can do is back her monitor off a bit, and it is what it is.

Part of being  professional level and not Karaoke, is being able to sing at a consistant volume and level. I have delt with this myself from band members. Sounds like your singer isn't a real singer if they can't sing at a base level that will work in sound reinforcement. I see this alot with dynamics as well. Singers going from a whisper to a loud BELT with zero mic control...Greenhorn status.

Archived