How to highlight songs on a big songlist?

Blackbird 13

• Members

Currently working up some press kits for tonight (gonna hit as many as I can of a 70-something deep list of clubs).. and I'm sorting my songs into genre (Pop/Top 40, Country, Rock, 80s, Standards).. but how do you make songs stand out in those lists? You only get X minutes with some of these folks, and you need to make them count.

For example.. I hate that someone is gonna see that we do a song like 3AM or Ball & Chain before they'll see Sugar We're Goin Down or Say It Ain't So. I hate that someone might see that we're doing Brad Paisley's Alcohol before Cruise or That's My Kind Of Night.... I don't wanna have nothing but the main songs up there, though, I want the list to look impressive, size wise (that's what she said?).....

I plan on printing in black and white.. I've considered just not alphabetizing the songs. That drives ME nuts.. but if a club owner is glancing.. they'll see the stuff that they're looking for up front...

Any ideas?

• Members

I'm not quite clear what your goal is here...

Trying to put myself in the shoes of a booker, I don't particularly care if somebody has a 100-song list or whatever. Instead I'd like to see some typical SETS so that I can judge both the types of music they play AND whether this band knows how to keep people engaged... as opposed to "Here's a random song... OK, here's another random song...oh wait, he doesn't want to play that one, here's some other song" that you see so many bands do.

Maybe you could show three sample sets, containing your favorite/killer material, then list a bunch of other songs at the end by genre, noting that you substitue those in based on crowd/venue?

Edit: Yeah, I realize some bands just "call audibles" all night long and do fine. I don't want to turn this into a religious debate. But even THOSE bands could whip up some "typical" set lists to give a press kit some structure.

• Members

Blackbird 13 wrote:

Currently working up some press kits for tonight (gonna hit as many as I can of a 70-something deep list of clubs).. and I'm sorting my songs into genre (Pop/Top 40, Country, Rock, 80s, Standards).. but how do you make songs stand out in those lists? You only get X minutes with some of these folks, and you need to make them count.

For example.. I hate that someone is gonna see that we do a song like 3AM or Ball & Chain before they'll see Sugar We're Goin Down or Say It Ain't So. I hate that someone might see that we're doing Brad Paisley's Alcohol before Cruise or That's My Kind Of Night.... I don't wanna have nothing but the main songs up there, though, I want the list to look impressive, size wise (that's what she said?).....

I plan on printing in black and white.. I've considered just not alphabetizing the songs. That drives ME nuts.. but if a club owner is glancing.. they'll see the stuff that they're looking for up front...

Any ideas?

the ones you are downplaying are the ones that would stick out for me!  :p

Archived