Singer Auditions... stories and lessons learned.

wheresgrant3

• Members

Nice! In my tightest band I ever played in, we practiced twice a week, focusing on the song, the parts. Starting and stopping to work things out, if needed. . Then before a gig we would practice every day that week. 2 practices before we would go through the whole sets, song after song. Not stopping, just like a gig.

Then we would be ready for the gig. Probably overkill. We were in our 20's and it was fun as well.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Nice! In my tightest band I ever played in, we practiced twice a week, focusing on the song, the parts. Starting and stopping to work things out, if needed. . Then before a gig we would practice every day that week. 2 practices before we would go through the whole sets, song after song. Not stopping, just like a gig.

Then we would be ready for the gig. Probably overkill. We were in our 20's and it was fun as well.

That was how we did it when I was first starting out in my teens.  It was the only way to get good both at playing those songs and just at being better musicians and a better band in general.  Because we just didn't have the experience.   And yeah, it was fun because we were still so new too it and just loved playing.

My tightest band was probably my 80s hair band because we played 5 nights a week/50 weeks a year.  Every night was a rehearsal of the set so there was no need to do anything more during the day than just work up new material.  Work on the basics, throw it in the set, know it will be a bit rough on Wed and Thurs and hopefully knock it out of the park on Friday and Saturday.

With this band, it's become a bit of almost coming full circle because we only gig 2 or 3 times a month and, because of the great physical difference between some band members, full rehearsals almost never happen.   So I suppose it only makes sense that some things would loosen up and go unnoticed over time.  And "talking through" what needs to be done only goes so far.    So I'm actually looking forward to doing all this rehearsal during a slow spot in our schedule.   I hope everyone else in the band is as well.  

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Out there getting it done beats sitting on the couch any day.

That's why I record and put my music out there.

That said, the only reason I even talk to you guys is for the ideas that get thrown around. Just in the last day or so, I figured out some things. The more I talk to you guys, the more I put you guys in my rear view mirror.

This place is feeling like it's tapped of knowledge, probably not much more to gleen from the place.

• Members

The guys on this forum put their music "out there" every time where it matters most: on stage in front of a live audience. No retakes. No overdubs. No second chances. Get it right or go home.

Who was it who liked your music exactly? How much did they pay to listen to you? How long did they stick around?

• Members

That's why I record and put my music out there.
That said, the only reason I even talk to you guys is for the ideas that get thrown around. Just in the last day or so, I figured out some things. The more I talk to you guys, the more I put you guys in my rear view mirror.
This place is feeling like it's tapped of knowledge, probably not much more to gleen from the place.
------------

I'd rather see people enjoy the music I'm playing face to face. If your music is so good, how come you aren't famous?

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I'd rather see people enjoy the music I'm playing face to face. If your music is so good, how come you aren't famous?

Yeah, but he puts it up on the INTERNET.  And some people have CLICKED on it!  Don't know if they liked it or not.  They didn't buy it.  But they CLICKED on it!    Same people who hang out in social media that he was deriding in another thread for being no-life losers.    But now they are the arbiters of who is making "real" music and who isn't.  

What-the-f'-ever.

• Members

Yes, the well of knowledge about recording instrumentals on your computer has run dry on the band forum under the Live Performance category of HC. Shocking.

I get the amusement in trolling if you can point out things that people need to get defensive about. But to come in and just repeatedly make no sense whatsoever... where's the fun in just subjecting yourself to endless ridicule?

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Yes, the well of knowledge about recording instrumentals on your computer has run dry on the band forum under the Live Performance category of HC. Shocking.

I get the amusement in trolling if you can point out things that people need to get defensive about. But to come in and just repeatedly make no sense whatsoever... where's the fun in just subjecting yourself to endless ridicule?

Well that's the point... he's the only internet troll on this that has made me feel more confident about my music choices. LOL I mean he is a mere infant in terms of musical enrichment and experience. And he's clearly angry about it... like someone who discovered growth hormone and started finally lifting weights at 45 and spends most of his time in the mirror posing. 

Again to leave links to his recordings and previous forum dustups puts his weird ranting in perspective. He wants the attention, the satisfaction he's never recieved from playing guitar. A hypocite of the highest order. He could be the worst internetz troll in this boards history. A troll who wants recognition for his thoughts, perceived talent and ideas. To fail at that in a spectacular way is something to behold. 

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Really... Does anything more need to be said after knowing he identifies with Kenny Powers!

I'm glad everyone got the association... it appears even he did. :D

McBride and co modeled Powers after John Rocker (among a few players). And just like Rocker (who I remember more for his reputation rather than his acheivements) I recognize Tim more for his poor attitude rather than his playing. Sorta sad really... how you can turn someone off in an instant to your art just by opening your mouth (or typing on a keyboard). 

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

There is a songwriters forum. Maybe you'd fit in better over there.

Well, except his instrumental noodlings aren't really "songs", so he'd be laughed out over there as well.

He already tried hanging out at Sound, Studio and Stage but a previous alt of his was already banned for tossing insults at Craig Anderton. 

There's always the recording forum where he can brag about how well he's mastered his 4-track cassette recorder, I suppose....

• Members

If there is one thing, in real life, that I pride myself on, it's reason and empathy for different perspectives. I will give my own contrasting perspective at times. That's good most of the time, but I'm easily trolled, because normally I'll see the point. So I have a great deal of respect for everyone here, because I've got so much to learn from them. Tac is an interesting outlier though because he hasn't made any freaking sense whatsoever.

• Members

We live in the middle of nowhere. We gig 8 - 12 times a year, for $1600 - $2500 a gig. Basically $300 - $500 a man. We gig as often as we want at this point. Everyone has lives, families etc. The band is as busy as we want to be.

For my part, I provide lights & sound for a few venues plus other one off gigs, along with annual gigs as well. I do about $25k/year in business from that as well. Half decent for a side company, it pays for itself and has paid for its expansion along the way

But it's not going to replace my day job anytime soon. I'm in too small of a town for that. I keep getting told I should be in the city doing my thing full time, but I dunno. Maybe someday. But for now things are good.

Archived