Hi, I have 2, questions , 1 about burning backing trax off utube to a disc , 2,

cadillacman

• Members

Hi, 1st , I was wondering if someone could tell me how to copy & burn just the backing trax to songs off of youtube ? thanks

second question is , could someone steer my to a good drum & bass , backing trax type machine that you could download some classic rock/ blues backing trax onto using a flash drive / memory card ?

thjanks for any advise , recommemdations on these 2- things ..Kevin

• Members

YouTube has highly compressed audio, which IMHO is not good enough for a live performance.

I make my own backing tracks. How I make them and how I use them on stage can be read here:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

You can also buy karaoke tracks all over the 'net, but one word of advice. They will sound like karaoke tracks - and if you want to present yourself as a karaoke act, that's OK, but if you are trying to pass yourself off as something else, you won't fool everybody.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

Yup, I totally agree. The best way to get good backing tracks is to make them yourself, assuming you know how. The second best way is to have someone who knows how to do it make them for you. The third best way is to buy them online, after listening to every company out there and finding the best ones. There are some good backing tracks out there, but the vast majority are EWWW.

Of course, if you ask 10 of us what makes a good backing track, you'll get 10 slightly different answers. A few of us, me included, subscribe to the "less is more" theory. We like backing tracks to have drums and bass, and that's it. Sometimes a little subtle keyboard in there can work, too. But online you'll find what Notes_Norton calls the karaoke tracks - full arrangements with strings, horns, backing vocals, and everything under the sun. And they are godawful bad sounding and the big reason why there are so many backing track haters in this forum. A bad background track can ruin your act and make you look and sound like a clown.

My theory, now that you got me started on the topic and I have a hard time shutting up, is that when you sing and play guitar for an audience, you're making authentic music. But some circumstances call for more of a "band" sound. So the trick is to get a nice sound without sounding like you're playing along with a CD player. If you are a great singer, and your guitar playing is good, it's sort of easy for the listener to get drawn in, and before you know it they're not thinking about the drums and bass backing track, they're listening to the singer and the guitar, which are the two main elements of the song, and also the two loudest. The drums and bass sort of just keep the beat and fill out the sound. This is by no means as good as an actual trio, but it can sound good and the majority of general audiences are accepting of it.

But toss in the strings, horns, background singers, synths, extra percussion, etc, and suddenly the voice and guitar are fighting with everything else for the listener's attention. Worse, if you have guitars in your backing track and you PLAY guitar, they may start to wonder whether you're actually playing.

• Members

Ok, I'm kind of a home player , I apreciate all the coments ...I would like t find a place , a good place to find great backing trax to songs I want to keep up with on my guitar ,I can sing a bit, bnasicly just to keep up the song , if that makes sense ? I just need the drums / bass , basicly , to songs , Eagles , VHalen , Ac/Dc, Petty , Nuggent , Lynard Skynard , you get it ..thanks for any recommendations ...hapy holidays ! I just thought you guys would be the best to hit up , for the info ...thanks

Archived