Homemade Laptop Stand

Potts

• Members

So some of us are still using laptops. I'd love an Ipad but I just bought a new guitar and another "gig" purchase is just not going to happen right now.

I'm pretty particular on how I'm "viewed" from the audience. I have a nice Bose setup, cool but simple lights, nice guitar and I dont suck. The one thing that bugs me is the real estate a laptop and an associated stand take up. I found a cool one online that was $105 and I knew I could do it for $15. I normally use a "keyboard" type of stand with a roadcase top as the table. It bugged me because it blocks me. It looked neat and clean and was very stable, but I didn't like it right in front of me.

I grabbed an old mic stand that the boom was warn out on and took that off. I went to home depot and grabbed a 3/4" flange for $8. I grabbed a 6" piece of galvanized pipe for $3 and threaded those two together. I screwed the flange to a chunk of old counter-top that was just sitting in my garage- I was actually looking for plywood. The laptop is strictly a gig laptop so I just put two heavy duty strips of $3 velcro on the bottom of the laptop and the top of the stand. I'll always leave the laptop attached and simply unscrew the 3/4 pipe for packing.

That's it. The new "top" didn't fit well over the mic stand- it was obviously loose. Enter duct-tape...I wrapped the mic stand part so the pipe fits over it snugly and DONE! This thing is strong, stable and easy to break down. I'm pretty psyched! I just have to paint the sides and it'll be pretty sweet. I already set it up next to another stand. Although it's adjustable I have it tucked right up under and to the right of the boom on my vocal mic stand.

Any suggestions on how to improve this if you see any way would be cool too!

laptop_stand.jpg

• Moderators

Honestly, it looks like a fairly simple solution, functional, inexpensive and not 'home-made' looking.. Some black paint on the edges of the counter board and I think you are pretty much set.

Me... I'd probably have tried to rig a mounting clamp to the main mic stand (how heavy is that laptop?) (and use a thinner panel) just so I wasn't hauling the extra stand...lazy iz me...;)

• Members

Honestly, it looks like a fairly simple solution, functional, inexpensive and not 'home-made' looking.. Some black paint on the edges of the counter board and I think you are pretty much set.

Me... I'd probably have tried to rig a mounting clamp to the main mic stand (how heavy is that laptop?) (and use a thinner panel) just so I wasn't hauling the extra stand...lazy iz me...
;)

Yeah a little paint tomorrow and I'm all set. Not sure if the mounting clamp to the main stand would work- it might be too heavy. That's exactly what I was looking for though so I guess this is a close second. I agree about the extra gear but I'm loosing a keyboard stand in it's place. LOL..it's a great trade off- the keyboard stand couldn't fit in a case and I have the room for the mic stand in another case.

• Members

Why not just use a music stand with the 'music' part laid flat?

That's what I use. A heavy duty conductors stand with the top almost horizontal, and the pole set at it's lowest. I have it to the front-right of me. Musicians Friend has them as low as $25.

I Also use Velcro to keep the laptop and audio interface (TC Voicelive Play GTX) from sliding, they both fit on the stand.

• Members

I use to use one and never felt comfortable with it. I've had them slip on me before and tilt. I came back from break once to find the top was almost vertical and my laptop was just hanging there.. I almost crapped right there. Not to mention I can sneak this one up into the crook of my main stand and it's the perfect site line.

• Members

But there is more than one right way to do anything. Whatever works.

Yeah... I think it's all about what's comfortable for ourselves. For my solo gigs my entire setup is equal to where I wear my strap. I like everything "just right". It's funny because I don't even like things in my pockets when I'm playing.

• Members

I've had them slip on me before and tilt. I came back from break once to find the top was almost vertical and my laptop was just hanging there..

Mine has two thumbscrews to lock in the tilt. It has been very stable for 6 years, and you can't even adjust it without loosening the screws. But I understand your concern!

• Members

Conductor stand is the easiest and most practical way. You can fold it too.

No it isn't. Blanket statement for a blanket statement.

Anyway- used the new laptop stand last night. As expected, I loved it. It's not bulky, looks sleek and it doesn't take up any room.

• Members

Mine has two thumbscrews to lock in the tilt. It has been very stable for 6 years, and you can't even adjust it without loosening the screws. But I understand your concern!

I never thought of that when I was using mine...Did you just modify it or did it come that way? Mine just had a round "knob" and it was never secure enough.

• Moderators
I never thought of that when I was using mine...Did you just modify it or did it come that way? Mine just had a round "knob" and it was never secure enough.

there are a number of 'dual-lock' models..but are a tad pricier (for a reason! ;) ) ...I think your solution is more than adequate...and, best of all: it works for you!

• Members

It came that way. I don't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was too expensive. I can't seem to find it on the net now, or I'd provide a link.

Archived