Props

steve mac

• Members

A recent post chimed with me as I am trying to compartmentalize my act into themes I am thinking 60s , country , Elvis , Beatles , 70s glam rock etc.

I am making up some newsreel type backing tracks and fancy using simple props as well. So for Elvis just a pair of Elvis shades, country a hat, glam rock a bower, beatles johns glasses. Any ideas or better still has anyone done similar and it's worked or not and can save me the time of trying it out?

Cheers Steve

• Members

I have a collection of hats I bring, seems like that's the easist way to change up your appearance. Also sunglasses!

Totaly agree re hats but other than a cowboy hat for country I am struggling to think of others that instantly bring to mind musical genera or artists that would contribute to more than one song I do. For example I perform sweet child o mine but am buggered if I am going to construct Slash's tophat for that one song. Plus I don't want to go down the wig or full outfit route, just want to give a visual cue.

Cheers Steve

• Members

I put on a gray fedora for jazz, a cowboy hat for country, sometimes a long blonde wig for 80s hairband, dark glasses for soul/R&B. The blonde wig makes people laugh a bit (intentional), but the other accessories are just to set a bit of a visual vibe.

Nothing ostentatious, and not really "props". If I were doing only one style of music in an evening, I'd wear the appropriate accoutrements all night for that dedicated genre gig anyway.

• Members

What is a "newsreel type backing track"?

My intention is to break my set into various parts, each introduced by a backing track that is connected with that type of music for example. The sixties is a montage of exerts from newscasts of key moments from that decade (moon landing, england winning world cup etc) interspersed with snippets of theme tunes from children's TV programs and ending with Austin Powers saying " groovy baby". It lasts about a minute and a half and then I go straight into Lola by the Kinks. The country section has bits of cowboy show themes , think Bonanza, Big Valley etc mixed with bits of Good Bad Ugly and finishes with John Wayne saying " get off your horse and drink your milk " then I launch into Dead or Alive. And so on.

Steve

• Members

I'm the King of Props. I have no problem with the comedy aspect taking over from the musical aspect for certain songs. In fact, when I put on a hat or wig, I make sure it is the most outlandish one I can find. My cowboy hat is one of those huge foam things. My Elvis wig is made of plastic. I have a Z Z Top beard that is way too long. For "Folsom Prison Blues" I put on a train engineer's hat and blow a train whistle.

I can't tell you the number of times people have come up to me in Wal-Mart or wherever and said, "Hey, I know you. You're the guy who puts on hats and wigs while he's playing the guitar. I love your act."

They never remember the songs I was singing or how good my guitar playing was, but they remember the props.

• Members

The props thing goes over good at some shows and some crowds. Down here a lot of guys use them that play the winter texan RV park gigs. those can pay quite well since many do cover and do an 80/20 split. You dont see it from solos and duos that play the island. Those are more straight up shows where its a talk game rather thana prop game. If its workin ,,,go for it

• Members

I know a DJ who uses a 69 GTO as the front of his rig, it's the actual front end of a goat and they flip it 180 degrees and mounted it on wheels to get it in and out of the doors, pretty cool.

I met a guy that uses a 55 Chevy and like you said its hinged to get in the door.

I'm in to old VWs and found a fiberglass baja front end for $100

I joked about it but damn, I'm tempted.....lol

• Members

I met a guy that uses a 55 Chevy and like you said its hinged to get in the door.

I'm in to old VWs and found a fiberglass baja front end for $100

I joked about it but damn, I'm tempted.....lol

I have mine picked out already, front of a 69 Dodge Charger, so then you can use the flip lights and have uber bright lasers or headlights during the show, I think that would be cool as ****. Has to be some other ideas besides the front of a car right? Looking for ideas! I'd hate to copy someone else, but it sounds like this guy already has.

• Members

I have mine picked out already, front of a 69 Dodge Charger, so then you can use the flip lights and have uber bright lasers or headlights during the show, I think that would be cool as ****. Has to be some other ideas besides the front of a car right? Looking for ideas! I'd hate to copy someone else, but it sounds like this guy already has.

He's had this one for ten years sooooo. who knows?

The baja is super light and not nearly as big

I won't do it but it was a fun mental vacation.

Archived