Who uses files and other pre-programmed gadgets?

wkendhacker

• Members

This is a first for me. It's always been me and an instrument or me and another guy and 2 instruments. However, i have been working in my rehearsal studio with a guy who has all the gadgets, which he controls with his feet and/or his guitar.

I have generally been opposed to this stuff, but i have to admit the guy knows how to use them and how NOT to. Plus, it was nice having strings behind me once in a while.

I quickly discovered that these things can be overused too. Who here uses this technology and how do you and your audiences like it?

• Members

I use backing tracks on almost every song. I program them myself and they're usually just drums and bass., with maybe one other instrument playing a 'signature part'. I don't want to sound like an orchestra, I just want to give the crowd some kind of beat to dance to, or at least tap their feet. My unsolicited advice: stick with one drum kit and bass sound, it kind of gives the 'band' more cohesion and believeability. It has worked for me for 13 years now.

Archived