Playing acoustic guitar - standing or sitting

msmooth

• Members

When I play my electric guitar I always play standing up because if not I'll get use to playing everything sitting down and end up not being able to play it as well standing up. Something to do with the position of the arms and especially during playing styles like shredding. Seems like the more extended my arm is the less speed I can get.

I always play acoustic guitar sitting down and if I do play live I'll need a decent chair to sit in. I don't like tall stools because I don't feel grounded, but sometimes you don't have a choice. I think some time should be taken in training in both positions, standing up and sitting down, to be able to switch it up effectively.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Stand and deliver, gentlemen. Would you like it if your store clerk was sitting on his ass? or your waitress? You would think they were lazy, wouldn't you? This sounds very condescending in print, I know. I don't mean it that way, but don't you all have to stand at your day job?

I guess it depends on what you deliver as to how you deliver it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lroyb View Post

I guess it depends on what you deliver as to how you deliver it.
I stand corrected. I see many reasons why this guy should be sitting: 1. He's old 2. tapping his feet with a mic in front of them would be hard standing up. 3. So would Travis picking that guitar and keeping it directly in front of that mic. 4. He's recording with an engineer! I get it.
This guy is very good btw. I listened to a couple of his songs and for the style of music he's playing and singing he can sit down without it affecting the quality of the performance.
But I still say that it looks better and you can sing better if you stand up when you play a guitar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Stand and deliver, gentlemen. Would you like it if your store clerk was sitting on his ass? or your waitress? You would think they were lazy, wouldn't you? This sounds very condescending in print, I know. I don't mean it that way, but don't you all have to stand at your day job?
No smile.gif
I work in an office environment, and while I try to stand from time to time, I usually sit down.
I don't mind if a store clerk is sitting down either. Standing up 8 hours is a demanding task. I used to work in a bar..

• Members

I thought I was obligated to stand, but since I started using a looper, I have been having fits trying to hit the button when I play acoustic. It does stick out too far and I can't see my pedals. I would love to go with my preference and stand, but it turns out that I am a better performer when I sit on a stool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to sit on a stool behind a music stand and mic. In time I got rif of stool, mic and music stand and now totally wireless. It was scary the first time I walked among the crowd, but just like any other things: Getting out of the comfort zone and doing something new is the only way to develop. Today I feel a bit strange when I sit down on a slow tune. In general, I try to work myself up to having the right to act weird. But it's a fine line between being a clown and performer......

• Members

It's not about looking at me. My playing suffers when I stand. I play fingerstyle and the less guitar movement, the better. Acoustic guitarists have always been afforded the luxury of sitting. "People won't dance if you sit down". I play restaurants and sports bars. The only people who dance there are drunk. It's personal preference. You'll play much better if you're comfortable. Oh, I sat for 13 years at my job. It's kind of difficult to work on jewelry standing.

• Members

Yes, I know, it takes time to get used to standing when you're used to sitting. Also, lowering the guitar seems very hard at first. When I do background music during dinner I sit down. It's all about the energy level of the crowd. But when there is drinking and party, I try to be at a slightly higher energy level than the guests to fire them up to my level.

Archived