What do requests REALLY mean?

pogo97

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
this presents the performer with that rare and elusive "teachable moment" for the members of the audience...

whenever anyone requests a particular number, it allows me to explain ( over the microphone) to them the difference between a "bonafide and legitimate request" and the lesser "suggestion"...

a "suggestion" is when someone walks up and asks for a particular tune...please understand that this tune may or may not get played because this is merely by definition "simply a suggestion"... whereas an actual "request" is generally accompanied by a twenty dollar bill or better with the larger denominations receiving attention commensurate with the amount deposited into the tip jar...
As above... tongue.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Notes_Norton View Post
If you stand on stage long enough, the people will tell you what they want to hear.

If you want to remain on stage long enough, you should learn the most frequently requested songs.

Sure there are rare exceptions, but in our gigs most of the time a request means "I like the way you sound and I would really like to hear you play one of my favorites songs."

If we don't know the song, we always compliment the requester on his/her choice and try to get something close. ("I'm sorry, that's a great song but we don't know how to play it yet. How about ______ by the same artist?" - or in the same style).

This is not a classroom or a monolog. The band and the audience should be a team, it's a dialog.

We collect requests, learn the ones that are requested the most and Leilani and I have been working as a duo steadily since 1985 playing music as our primary source of income.

Notes
Being polite and professional never hurts.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shaster View Post
I don't think we've covered this one:

13} I was busy talking and didn't hear you play Johnny B. Goode (or fill in the blank). However, on a subliminal level it reminded me how much I like that tune so now that you've just finished the song, I'm here to request it. Furthermore, I will get mad, defensive and refuse to believe you when you say you've JUST played that song.
I can't believe how much this happens! I thought it was just me. I usually play the song again if it's a good one that will fit the mood of the crowd. If anyone calls me on it I'll say 'Thanks for noticing/remembering, but it was that dumb-ass over there that wanted to hear it again'. Very seldom does anyone catch it (or say anything if they do), especially later in the night when they're drinking. I guess that means I'm doing my job and getting them nice and drunk!

Archived