Starting a duo... any advice?

Yer Blues

• Members

I've been playing in cover bands for 12 years or so... always as a sideman.  I had some input into setlist, would sing maybe 4-5 songs a night, etc, etc.  Recently, a great musician (vocals, guitarist, mandolin, keys, you name it!) moved in next door to my buddy and we are going to try to put together a duo.  He has never been a frontman either.   I'm not sure what to expect.  One venue has already given us the "audition" for us one night to get a gig shtick.  This may be the norm around here because there are a ton of musicians looking to play and the main reason the last cover band I was playing with stopped in its tracks was because the band leader couldn't get the $ he wanted from venues.

Anyways, moving forward I'm trying to piece together what needs to be done to get this thing off the ground.  We're working on the setlist and it shouldn't be an issue other than memorizing the lyrics.  I guess I could look into a getting some sort of tablet with Onsong on it?  Is that pretty much the norm for acoustic acts these days?

As far as PA, I have a Carvin C1644p (16 channels, powered) and a pair of JBL PRX 512 (also powered).  16 channels is probably overkill, but the Carvin has XLR balanced outputs so it will work.  I also have a single JBL PRX718 sub, but for $100 (or less) I'm not going to drag it out.  I've been wanting to replace the Carvin and pick up some monitors, but haven't had areason.. this might provide one. 

I have two acoustics -- Guild JF 30 and a cheap Alvarez 12 string.  Neither of which has a pickup.  So, I need to either pick up an electric/acoustic or some type of pickup.  I do have one of those Woody pickups by Seymour Duncan, but it sucks.... so I see a new guitar in my future.

Anyways, I'm just trying to lay this thing out because (a) I've never lead a band (or duo) before and (b) I think with a clear path it will be easier to move forward.  In order to get this thing off the ground I think I need to do the following...

• Get a tablet.  Any recommendations would be helpful.  I don't really have a brand preference.  Is the iPad really worth the extra money vs. an Android tablet? 
  • Get an acoustic electric and use the Guild with the woody as a backup.  I'm good to go here. :)
  • Finalize the setlist

Once I take care of those two things I think we can start playing.  My thoughts are the tablet will take care of the setlist because for me the only hard part is remembering the lyrics.  From there I will need to add some monitors and look into replacing the Carvin. 

Do you guys think I am on the right track?  Any advice as to what we should/should not do?  I don't think playing without monitors is ideal, but we'll make it work for 2-3 months until I can invest more into this project. 

• Members

I just browsed the setlist exchange and the "go to" thread.... it seems for acoustic stuff there is a lot more variety than bar band stuff?  I mean, in the top 5 song threads nobody mentioned Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Jenny Jenny, Mustang Sally, or standards like that.  And in the setlist thread there was a ton of variety.  This could be more fun than I thought if there are no "standards". 

• Moderators

look over the 5 surefire acoustic songs thread somewhere here on page one...

yeah, there is a difference between acover band and an acoustic duo...although some audience members don't get that...;)

Ipad vs Android tablet... :smiley-angry005: 

frankly, I would go droid (actually I did, but I went mini, and now I have to go big :smiley-angry019: ) I should have known better...it is just too small to read from a distance.

• Members

Yer Blues wrote:

I just browsed the setlist exchange and the "go to" thread.... it seems for acoustic stuff there is a lot more variety than bar band stuff?  I mean, in the top 5 song threads nobody mentioned Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Jenny Jenny, Mustang Sally, or standards like that.  And in the setlist thread there was a ton of variety.  This could be more fun than I thought if there are no "standards". 

Oh they're there. We just don't want to admit it!

• Members

Yer Blues wrote:

American Pie

Sweet Caroline

Fire and Rain

Slide

I'm Yours

that's a few.

Archived