Some interesting new gear.

Shart

• Members

Here's a couple new items I'm interested in. Anyone try the harmony pedal yet? Doesn't look like the jamman express looper is out yet. Pros/cons? I like the smaller footprint, the tc could stand to be $50 less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/tc-helicon-harmony-singer

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-jamman-express-xt-looper

• Moderators

the looper is certainly designed to challenge the TC Ditto at price point...I guess another shootout is coming...;) I am intrigued by the harmonizer...nice idea to remove all the other bells and whistles (which I don't need or want) and just give you the voacl side...for a fairly attractive price...will Digitech follow suit? Hmmmm....

• Members

Shart wrote:

Here's a couple new items I'm interested in. Anyone try the harmony pedal yet? Doesn't look like the jamman express looper is out yet. Pros/cons? I like the smaller footprint, the tc could stand to be $50 less.

The harmony pedal looks great. I hate the huge footprint of my Vocalist Live II.

• Members

i have a ditto and it shares the one drawback with the jamman express: double stomp to stop. I think it's hard to double click at the end of a song when an extra note is a turd in the punchbowl. that said, i could really dig on the stereo capability. come november i might be looking to get one. the ditto is awesome though. i use it and a jamman stereo.

i dont dig the vocal harmonizers, tho.

• Members

i dont dig the vocal harmonizers, tho.

I've heard good and bad use of harmonizers. I saw TC helicon respond to a youtube post in which they stated that they turn up the level of the harmony for demo videos so that the effect is sure to be heard. They went on to say that in a real, live setting, it's better to dial it back a bit.

I have the boss ve-20 vocal pedal but it doesn't offer the guitar-through technology. You have to go in and create presets for the key of the song. Not fun. Also, the pedal switches on my line6 m9 are starting to fail; can't rely on the looper anymore. The switches are inconsistent and I never know if they are going to work when i stomp on them.

• Members

That's OK, I can't quote either (quirky iPad).

When I use the VL2 with my oldies/classic rock trio, I just leave it on the 3rd above setting, which fits pretty well with most songs, but it would be nice to vary it up once in a while.

When I do my solo act, I'm performing with a keyboard instead of a guitar. For that I use the Vocalist Performer, since the VL2 seems to have some problems figuring out the chords from the bass/rhythm/chord one-finger accompaniment (I'm not really a keyboard player, but I can get by with this arrangement). Since the VP is mounted on the mic stand in easy reach, I have programmed in all kinds of different harmonies in different keys. I just spin a knob on the unit to call them up and turn them on and off with a footswitch. I'd sure like to have that ease of convenience with a unit like the VL2, so I could play my guitar without worrying about resetting the key for each song, but I could quickly change the individual harmony settings before starting to play.

Archived