Which portable PA?

mbarsott

• Members

There are many options out there but not for $1000.00 - not new anyway.

I say this with great respect for the people that own one but I can't recommend the Fender Passport. It will not do for what you are talking about. I personally have never found a use for it and I have used them on several occasions when they were part of a "house" (actually boat) system. I found them dreadful. But again no offense to present owners.

the Yamaha StagePass is a little better but still not good enough for 200 people with tracks. But again I am sure that everyday somewhere sometime, someone is using a StagePass for 200 people. I guess it depends on your expectations and how picky your audience is, and most importantly, how loud and how far you need to project.

If you were in Canada I would suggest two YX15P's at $430 each http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/371/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/YX15P_200_Watt_15_1-inch_Powered_PA_Speaker.htm and a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer for $385.00 http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/5619/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mixers/Soundcraft/EFX8_-_8X2_Channel_Mixer_with_Lexicon_Effects.htm

I have owned, or used these components. I have covered 200 people at weddings and casuals with the YX15P's and they are a very good value for the money.

I would suggest you try and find something similar - but NOT the Mackie Thumps.

• Moderators
A lot of singleduo's prefer the bose system and it makes sense for what they do, I'd try out one before purchasing though.

he needs 6 channels...a Bose is not going to work, without a separate mixer...on hte plus side, Brasil's electrical is the same as the US, on the downside, shipping from the USA will be abusively expensive, so he will have to buy in Brasil.

• Members

I've never really cared for the YX-series boxes. I find they sound very nice if they're not pushed too hard, but not so good cranked.

You can carve out some of the offending frequencies and of course the YX15P's are powered so they start limiting before they get really ugly. I'm basically talking about value and the ability of a duo to do a reasonable job of covering a room, I owned mine for a year or two and only got rid of them because I kept getting GAS.

I've talked before about my experience with one YX15P keeping up with one Bose pole and two Bose subs, no problem. At a much lower price - but true enough not as pretty!

BTW you haven't lived until you crank a Fender Passport :)

• Members

friends don't let friends buy Beringer
:wave:

he needs
6 channels
...a Bose is not going to work, without a separate mixer...on hte plus side, Brasil's electrical is the same as the US, on the downside, shipping from the USA will be abusively expensive, so he will have to buy in Brasil.

That's really good to know... so far I've seen people saying bad things about Bheringer, Fender Pasport, and Mackie Thump. I'll keep that in mind.

I may go to the States do buy this stuff. That's why I prefer speakers to be under 75 pounds packed for air trip.

After all this discussion I may raise my budget for this... I've seen some amplified Yamaha powered speakers DXR8, DXR10, and DX!2... they seem nice. What do you guys think of them?

• Members

You can carve out some of the offending frequencies and of course the YX15P's are powered so they start limiting before they get really ugly. I'm basically talking about value and the ability of a duo to do a reasonable job of covering a room, I owned mine for a year or two and only got rid of them because I kept getting GAS.

I've talked before about my experience with one YX15P keeping up with one Bose pole and two Bose subs, no problem. At a much lower price - but true enough not as pretty!

BTW you haven't lived until you crank a Fender Passport
:)

You kept getting GAS??!! It surely is not what first came to my mind... what is it?

• Members

That's really good to know... so far I've seen people saying bad things about Bheringer, Fender Pasport, and Mackie Thump. I'll keep that in mind.

I may go to the States do buy this stuff. That's why I prefer speakers to be under 75 pounds packed for air trip.

After all this discussion I may raise my budget for this... I've seen some amplified Yamaha powered speakers DXR8, DXR10, and DX!2... they seem nice. What do you guys think of them?

mbarsott,

One of our fellow members on the Live Sound & Production forum runs the Yamaha DSR's, so he might be a good guy to talk to about these speakers. He seems to really like them. I'm not sure if he's running the 12" or 15" boxes. His name is OneEng.

• Members

Reports on the DXR line are very positive. I understand that there is a lot of processing that gives them a great sound and lots of power. If I were in the market for new powered speakers right now, they would be at the top of my list for speakers to test out. By next year something better may come out at the rate that technology is changing.

• Members

By next year something better may come out at the rate that technology is changing.

Yeah, I've seen there is even a new Bose model, the Model 1S... A little expensive, but targeted to a 300 people audience, with the B2 subwoofer, it may be worthwhile. As for the Bose Systems, do you guys know if there is any place that sells the Subwoofer separate from the rest? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I know you can add more subwoofers, but what I want is to buy the Model 1S and the subwoofer separately, because when you arrive by plane in Brazil, each passenger can bring 500 dollars in merchandise. Since the B2 is that price (at Amazon), my fiancee could bring the subwoofer and I would pay importing taxes only on the value of the main unit exceeding US$ 500.

• Members

Yeah, I've seen there is even a new Bose model, the Model 1S... A little expensive, but targeted to a 300 people audience, with the B2 subwoofer, it may be worthwhile. As for the Bose Systems, do you guys know if there is any place that sells the Subwoofer separate from the rest? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I know you can add more subwoofers, but what I want is to buy the Model 1S and the subwoofer separately, because when you arrive by plane in Brazil, each passenger can bring 500 dollars in merchandise. Since the B2 is that price (at Amazon), my fiancee could bring the subwoofer and I would pay importing taxes only on the value of the main unit exceeding US$ 500.

I called Bose and apparently L1 main units/speakers cannot be sold separately from the bass (I don't know why they do not call it subwoofer!). Anyway, I will probably end up getting the L1 compact, since I still have no perspective of play to audiences larger than 100 for now.

• Members

We use a used Yorkville MP6D (six channel) and two Yorkville TR315's for our duo - $650 for the MP6D online and $200 for the pair TR315's on craigslist here in the US.

Pretty "big" sound, nice and clean - easily handles 100. We've done up to about 200 with this.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

If you were in the US (but you are not), the best deal I know of currently is the M-Audio GSR-12 powered two-way speaker (300 W) for $180 US plus shipping. That would leave you with money for a passive mixer, speaker stands, and some XLR cables.

I thought these were dicontinued like a year ago?? If you know where to buy more please share I have one and would love to get another!!

Archived