Mesa 295 or Mesa 2:90

• Members

I've never been a fan of 6L6 tubes(even though my Rackmount SLO has 6L6 tubes in it)-so when faced with a choice of poweramps you mentined by Mesa I'd go with/choose the simulclass 295 or 395 (the model with the Volume & Presence knobs on the front).

The 2:90 is a fine and powerful poweramp but the 6L6 loaded power section isnt a choice for my applications(I prefer my VHT 2150s loaded with KT88s or te FX Loop Return on my Bogner Ecstacy 101-b loaded with Svetlana EL-34s)

• Members

Originally posted by SteveLINY

VHT 2/90/2 puts them both to shame...
:D
So does the 2/50/2:D

Yes I agree that the VHT Poweramps of any model or designation are far superior to ANY Mesa Boogie or Mesa Engineering poweramp made.

• Members

Must interject here to state again that though some people love VHT amps, they sound majorly harsh to my ears (and I've heard several, with and without the stock Sovtek tubes).

The 295 is basically the earliest version of what was going to become the 2:Ninety. The 295 was simul-class, around 90 watts per side with no switching options. 4u

The 395 was the basically the same amp with switch-track power options added (second volume & presence control per channel plus Deep and Half-Drive controls). 3u

The 2:Ninety is also simul-class, around 90 watts per channel and has Deep and Half-Drive. It also has the Modern function added, but the second set of volume/presence controls removed. Overall, it is the smallest of the three (at 2u). It has the same power as the other two, similar sound, but the best (IMO) of the switching options control.

• Members

The "deep" & "modern" switches on the 2:90 I tried out for a few weeks were cool-as well as the 395 I owned.The 1/2 power switchs on either Mesa poweramp didnt really *HALVE* or *HALF* the percieved output level to my ears,but the amp compressed more so I guess it worked well.

The *Deep* function added lower end but it was still loose and the *Modern* setting added upper end presence or treble depending on how YOU hear it.

But the answer is that they worked(the switching functions) just to a level that didnt live up to the advertised hype and text.

And YES I Played them at Ear Shattering volmes outdoors and in

doors and not just at low levels in my studio.

• Members

Originally posted by leadfootdriver

i like my 2:90....
:(:D
You can put EL34's in the outer tube sockets of both sides without any mods. It werks' pretty good. 'Been tryin' it myself lately.

I thought you would need to change some bias resitors inside to do that ?? What did you do exactly ? I have some mesa EL34 handy so I might give it a try...

• Members

395 has two quartets of 6L6 tubes. The 500 has two quartets of 6L6 tubes plus an additional pair of 6550 tubes on either side.

395 has one pair of tubes on either side running at class A. The Strategy 500 is all class AB power.

Other than that, they're pretty similar.

• Members

Originally posted by leadfootdriver

Just stuff them into the outer 4 sockets, and jam.
;)

Seriously, I remember discussing the thing with another guy some times ago and he told some resistor changes needs to be done to adjust the bias or something like that. I don't remember the exact details.... If someone in here knows could clarify ?

• Members

Originally posted by Jack Luminous

Seriously, I remember discussing the thing with another guy some times ago and he told some resistor changes needs to be done to adjust the bias or something like that. I don't remember the exact details.... If someone in here knows could clarify ?

No mods are needed to the grid resistors. As leadfootdriver stated you can just stick EL-34's in the outer sockets and fire it up. I ran this setup for about six months with no problems. My experience was that the 2:90 sounded cool but lost some of its cutting power. Your mileage may vary. The caveat is that the inner 4 tubes need to be 6L6's though. If you wanted to change all of the tubes (inner and outer) to EL34's you will need to mod the amp and change some resistor values.

• Members

Did you get that info from Mesa ?

Originally posted by pezguy

No mods are needed to the grid resistors. As leadfootdriver stated you can just stick EL-34's in the outer sockets and fire it up. I ran this setup for about six months with no problems. My experience was that the 2:90 sounded cool but lost some of its cutting power. Your mileage may vary. The caveat is that the inner 4 tubes need to be 6L6's though. If you wanted to change all of the tubes (inner and outer) to EL34's you will need to mod the amp and change some resistor values.

Archived