Best preamp for cleans?

• Members

I was referring to new amps when I stated that power amp quality is better in a rack. Marshall removed 2 filter caps in the power section in the horizontal input JCM800s (85 onward), cheapened their transformers with the JCM 900s, and loaded the Mode 4 with solid-state.

There's examples of other companies doing similar things.

Carrying even 2 amps with at least 1 4x12 and a combo or another 4x12 is not portable. I don't know about where you're from but unless whoever you play with is playing big venues there's generally not even enough room on stage for all of that gear. Speaking of another costly waste of space running a wet/dry. Carry less gear and run your wet direct if you must but does anyone really need to? No.

If you start with less gear and add more as you need it you'll better learn how to use, control, and program what you have. You may find you don't need something you originally thought you did.

This disagreement will never be resolved so I'm just going to start ignoring it. I have better things to do with my time than argue about semantics. It seems more important to justify having more equipment than you need than answering the persons question. Most people can't afford to have everything you have and practically no one needs it. If you can't do it well enough live with one amp and small amount of outboard gear it's not worth doing. I'm not talking for an individual song I'm talking about an entire set.

I know people have played jazz with telecasters into Marshall stacks. Even if you have your amps setup to do different things trying choosing one amp to do everything you need.

• Members

I was referring to new amps when I stated that power amp quality is better in a rack. Marshall removed 2 filter caps in the power section in the horizontal input JCM800s (85 onward), cheapened their transformers with the JCM 900s, and loaded the Mode 4 with solid-state.

There's examples of other companies doing similar things.

Carrying even 2 amps with at least 1 4x12 and a combo or another 4x12 is not portable. I don't know about where you're from but unless whoever you play with is playing big venues there's generally not even enough room on stage for all of that gear. Speaking of another costly waste of space running a wet/dry. Carry less gear and run your wet direct if you must but does anyone really need to? No.

If you start with less gear and add more as you need it you'll better learn how to use, control, and program what you have. You may find you don't need something you originally thought you did.

This disagreement will never be resolved so I'm just going to start ignoring it. I have better things to do with my time than argue about semantics. It seems more important to justify having more equipment than you need than answering the persons question. Most people can't afford to have everything you have and practically no one needs it. If you can't do it well enough live with one amp and small amount of outboard gear it's not worth doing. I'm not talking for an individual song I'm talking about an entire set.

I know people have played jazz with telecasters into Marshall stacks. Even if you have your amps setup to do different things trying choosing one amp to do everything you need.

I figure you think you're educating me on gear. Thank you for your time.

Click on link in my sig, then come back and tell me what you figure I need to be educated on re: selection of gear.

You miss the point ENTIRELY! One doesn't have all this gear because of need.

It's pure indulgence, allowing for more flexibility and control, as a performer and as an artist. It's true one can draw in charcoal pencil, I prefer a palette filled with color to choose from, and the possibility of black and white colors are there too. You see, for me there is no down side.

I didn't get all this gear over night. I have been using various rigs for nearly 30 years. Sometimes I gig using only a guitar and a BF Fender Princeton, like I said earlier. Choosing what is appropriate... When one has more choices, there are more appropriate choices one CAN make, when one NEEDS.

Incidentally, I started with a Fender Princeton Reverb amp and a Les Paul Copy back in 1978 and DID build slowly from there.

The venues I play w/ the big rig are like this: ok??

hob_20805_67.jpg

Portable is relative... I don't ride a bicycle to my gigs, and have stage hands and roadies to help when I use the big rig for live shows. In all fairness, it's mostly used for studio work. and normal gigs I usually use this:

boogie%201x12%20001a.jpg

Though this is sometimes used too: :wave:

stuff%20016.jpg

As far as learning how to deeply learn how to use gear, trust me... I get it and those who I've built rigs for and programmed and engineered for will attest to that as well.

• Members

Anyway, back to best rackmount preamp for clean tones.....

I don't really know. I can get really really nice clean tones from my Engl Fireball amp head (with the gain down), which match really well with the Fendery-style sounding Rhythm 1 channel of my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV head.

So, I guess, anything that can do a Mesa/Boogie Mark series type clean tone, would be great.

Okie doke, here's one-> Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp. ;)

• Members

Speaking of another costly waste of space running a wet/dry. Carry less gear and run your wet direct if you must but does anyone really need to? No.

The 'wet' direct will not sound good at all unless you run a cab sim.

If a wet/dry rig or better yet a wet/dry/wet rig 'inspires' you to play, the added hassle is well worth it.

A wet/dry with two 1x12" cabs is no larger than most rigs. Much better tone than running an efx unit in series.

Jun

Archived