MIDI switching w/G-System & DMC GCX Switcher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there is a relay switch on the back of my mark iv that says class A/Simul-Class

I stand corrected... Thanks... I didn't even consider that because I mainly use the MKIII, and Simul 395 (and you can't switch remotely w/ them... My bad) :thu:

NOTE: For the external jack to function properly, the mini rocker switch must remain in the Class A position.

• Members

how ?? if don't want only the channel switching but also want the simul-class/Class a switch and other how can i do that ?

You need something that can switch all of the six functions on the back of the MarkIV, such as a Mesa/Boogie MIDI Matrix, or a DMC Ground Control Pro.

You just connect each socket to the switcher device with 1/4" cables. I reckon normal guitar cables would do.

I'm hoping that the G-System is capable of sending the required MIDI messages to the DMC Ground Control Pro in order to do such switching.

• Members

You need something that can switch all of the six functions on the back of the MarkIV, such as a Mesa/Boogie MIDI Matrix, or a DMC Ground Control Pro.

You just connect each socket to the switcher device with 1/4" cables. I reckon normal guitar cables would do.

I'm hoping that the G-System is capable of sending the required MIDI messages to the DMC Ground Control Pro in order to do such switching.

so if you're using the GCX why do need the G-System just a get a G-Major and a Ground Control Pro ... it costs less ...

• Members

so if you're using the GCX why do need the G-System just a get a G-Major and a Ground Control Pro ... it costs less ...

The g-system has better ad/da conversion than the g-major, and the effects sound better to me - clearer and more articulate. maybe that explains some of the price difference ;) Also i like the interface of the g-system better than that of the ground-control pro.

• Members

Because you cannot operate the GCX on its own- it requires a pedalboard of some sort that can send MIDI messages to it.

And the G-Major doesn't have loops for effect pedals, but the G-System does.

• Members

Because you cannot operate the GCX on its own- it requires a pedalboard of some sort that can send MIDI messages to it.

And the G-Major doesn't have loops for effect pedals, but the G-System does.

the GCX has effects loops why can't use them ?

• Members

the GCX has effects loops why can't use them ?

It depends on your situation.

If you like having everything in a rack, then it'd be ideal to use the GCX, as you can just plug into the front of the unit, then from the back go into the audio loops where the pedals are, then into the amp, and then also use other loops for switching more effects into the amp's effects loop.

The G-System and other floor loop systems (like the Axess GRX-4?) provide the convenience of plugging into the loops right on the floor, so you can still use the pedals as they are to change settings, yet have the advantage of patching them into the signal via MIDI.

• Members

are you using all the external switching of the mark iv ?

I want to.

Why not? It's brilliant to be able to switch in the EQ on any channel, or switch to Class A for Rhythm 2 then Simul-Class for Lead (or vice-versa), or switch in the effects loop whenever I want.

I don't like having features if I can't use them? May as well use them and be more the merrier. :)

• Members

The Amp Gizmo is better than the GCX if you're just using it for switching jacks, it's smaller and a bit cheaper

I always got confused with the Amp Gizmo because doesn't it have four stereo loops? (ie 8 in total)- which would mean it would limit the switching?

Eg. say you used the Gizmo to switch between the Class A/Simul-Class switch and the Effects loop. Wouldn't it limit half of the options for those?

The GCX appears to be more straightforward to operate and flexible.

Anyway I just got hold of a GCX for a dirt cheap price, plus a mixer that has 8 inputs & 8 outputs. Bargain!

• Members

Now I'm going to have heaps of questions about mixers....more head-twisting! lol thicon_shaking2.gif

Here's a small picture of the mixer that I got that came (as a bonus) with the GCX.

9bb4_1.JPG

8e1c_1.JPG

Am I able to use this and still keep my pedals on the floor?

• Members

Now I'm going to have heaps of questions about mixers....more head-twisting! lol
thicon_shaking2.gif

Here's a small picture of the mixer that I got that came (as a bonus) with the GCX.

9bb4_1.JPG
8e1c_1.JPG

Am I able to use this and still keep my pedals on the floor?

The mixer will allow you to run stuff parallel (typical use) or depending on the features of the mixer will allow you to route series//parallel.

Because of the amount of switching you're going to be doing I suggested the Switchblade GL because of the amount of available loops. With the Switchblade you only have 8 loops.

A friend of mine was talking about doing something like how you're doing it (w/ variations of course) but I told him if he was going to use multiple amps and multiple effects, in my mind I'd rather have the ability to use any of my effects with any of the amps.

• Members

The mixer will allow you to run stuff parallel (typical use) or depending on the features of the mixer will allow you to route series//parallel.

Because of the amount of switching you're going to be doing I suggested the Switchblade GL because of the amount of available loops. With the Switchblade you only have 8 loops.

A friend of mine was talking about doing something like how you're doing it (w/ variations of course) but I told him if he was going to use multiple amps and multiple effects, in my mind I'd rather have the ability to use any of my effects with any of the amps.

Thanks for that Zach. :)

In a way I think your system is a hell of a lot simpler than mine, because it's so versatile and flexible.

Basically it's ANY pedal/s with ANY amp with ANY rack effect unit/s.

Whereas mine has crucial parts that are maintained in place (eg. the Electric Mistress only runs with the Fireball, and only for clean tones), no matter what other parts are doing. It's weird :freak: .

But maybe that would change once I get the mixer?

• Members

1/4" instrument cable via one of the 4 switchable mono-loops. TRS on the MKIV side with one side open

no ;) there is a dedicated relay switching section on the g-system, with four relays coupled to two trs connections. I don't know if the mk iv has trs connections to switch several features via the same plug. Otherwise he'll need a y-split cable from one trs to two ts plugs.

EDIT:

I just checked out the mk iv manual. It'll take a y-split trs to two ts ;) It goes in one of the "sw out" sockets and into two function switch sockets on the mk iv

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/G-System_Rackunit_Rear(1).jpg

• Members

no
;)
there is a dedicated relay switching section on the g-system, with four relays coupled to two trs connections. I don't know if the mk iv has trs connections to switch several features via the same plug. Otherwise he'll need a y-split cable from one trs to two ts plugs.

EDIT:

I just checked out the mk iv manual. It'll take a y-split trs to two ts
;)
It goes in one of the "sw out" sockets and into two function switch sockets on the mk iv

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/G-System_Rackunit_Rear(1).jpg

Thanks for that... Again, I was thinking about how I used to do it w/ my old MKIII and my 2290's mono loops. :thu:

Archived