MIDI switching w/G-System & DMC GCX Switcher

• Members

I am contemplating to buy a TC Electronic G-System, where I can switch effects & pedal loops on the fly.

I'd also like it to simultaneously control a DMC GCX Switcher, via MIDI, so it will switch loops & control functions on my amp also.

How do I programme this? And how can I individually select loops on the GCX by using the G-System?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as I can recall, the main thing is to ensure that the MIDI cable connecting the pedal to the GCX doesn't have all five pins connected, to make sure that the 11VAC doesn't get sent down the two pins (I forget which ones, but it's in the manual). Beyond that, I think the loops are just switched with CC messages.

Haven't really looked at the G-System, but I'm sure it's not too hard to do.

• Members

Thanks Jimbles & Syrk :) .

I've been watching John Petrucci's video on Mesa/Boogie's web site, and starting to get fussy about my switching. I loved how he has a big bank of pre-programmed buttons, but also instant access switches.

The reason I am confused, is because my understanding of how to programme a preset, is to first call up (turn on) each individual item with the instant access buttons, and then save all of that information as a single preset.

Is that correct?

And another thing too- the G-System only has 'Instant Access' buttons for its internal effects? How do I call up external things with the G-System via MIDI? Where are those actual buttons to turn on/off those things (say to the GCX Switcher)?

• Members

Thanks Jimbles & Syrk
:)

I've been watching John Petrucci's video on Mesa/Boogie's web site, and starting to get fussy about my switching. I loved how he has a big bank of pre-programmed buttons, but also instant access switches.

The reason I am confused, is because my understanding of how to programme a preset, is to first call up (turn on) each individual item with the instant access buttons, and then save all of that information as a single preset.

Is that correct?

And another thing too- the G-System only has 'Instant Access' buttons for its internal effects? How do I call up external things with the G-System via MIDI? Where are those actual buttons to turn on/off those things (say to the GCX Switcher)?

Being a g-system owner,i can assure you, that you can do all sorts of nasty button tricks with your g-system.

There are only three buttons with a fixed function (bank up/down buttons and the edit button). The last 12 buttons can be programmed to do whatever. Preset recall, send midi messages, switch relay stuff, instant acces to internal effects, turn loops on/off etc.

TC recently released a preset editor for both mac and pc, which makes setting up the g-system alot easier, as you can edit everything - both presets and global system values (such as button functions) - from your computer screen.

The system even comes with blank stickers to put over the factory button values, so that you don't have to compromise it's spaceship control room look with greasy looking tape :D neat huh?

• Members

Being a g-system owner,i can assure you, that you can do all sorts of nasty button tricks with your g-system.

There are only three buttons with a fixed function (bank up/down buttons and the edit button). The last 12 buttons can be programmed to do whatever. Preset recall, send midi messages, switch relay stuff, instant acces to internal effects, turn loops on/off etc.

TC recently released a preset editor for both mac and pc, which makes setting up the g-system alot easier, as you can edit everything - both presets and global system values (such as button functions) - from your computer screen.

The system even comes with blank stickers to put over the factory button values, so that you don't have to compromise it's spaceship control room look with greasy looking tape
:D
neat huh?

Wow! THANK YOU! :thu:

That'd be really neat to use the preset editor software. I just need to get all the gear together and hooked up first.

I am kinda putting the cart before the horse, so to speak, well, for good reason actually.

I want the G-System because it has fantastic reputable high quality effects that can be instantly accessed; four loops for effect units; can run in stereo (even though I'll be using it in mono); sturdy; looks good; reputable company; I can use my effect pedals on the floor yet don't have to tap-dance; has MIDI for switching amp functions etc.; can switch on/off other pedals; expression pedal capability.

But the whole remote MIDI switching instant access programming thing is kinda confusing me a bit, sorry.

But that software would fix most of that problem instantly!

That is, until I decide that, I want to switch on a particular amp or switch an amp channel instantly, without it being a preset..

or is it? I guess I need to understand the manual a bit more. But it'd be good if I could get more advice on how to set it all up, please. thanks.

• Members

Wow! THANK YOU!
:thu:

That'd be really neat to use the preset editor software. I just need to get all the gear together and hooked up first.

I am kinda putting the cart before the horse, so to speak, well, for good reason actually.

I want the G-System because it has fantastic reputable high quality effects that can be instantly accessed; four loops for effect units; can run in stereo (even though I'll be using it in mono); sturdy; looks good; reputable company; I can use my effect pedals on the floor yet don't have to tap-dance; has MIDI for switching amp functions etc.; can switch on/off other pedals; expression pedal capability.

But the whole remote MIDI switching instant access programming thing is kinda confusing me a bit, sorry.

But that software would fix most of that problem instantly!

That is, until I decide that, I want to switch on a particular amp or switch an amp channel instantly, without it being a preset..

or is it? I guess I need to understand the manual a bit more. But it'd be good if I could get more advice on how to set it all up, please. thanks.

You can easily program the buttons to switch amp channels without switching presets. You just program the knob to select a different relay setting. In the software editor, it's just a matter of selecting the right function for the switch in a drop down menu, and then select what value it should have.

A neat fature about the g-system's relay switching, is that you can store two different relay settings in each preset; setting a and b. Then you can set up a knob that will shift between these two settings, which are each a combination of four individual relays. In that way you'll only occupy one button for shifting between two modes ;) The relay settings follow the preset though, so if you have multi channel amps, the same button can shift between different modes depending on which preset you've recalled.

If you've got more questions about programming the g-system, all you have to do is ask ;)

• Members

You can easily program the buttons to switch amp channels without switching presets. You just program the knob to select a different relay setting. In the software editor, it's just a matter of selecting the right function for the switch in a drop down menu, and then select what value it should have.

A neat fature about the g-system's relay switching, is that you can store two different relay settings in each preset; setting a and b. Then you can set up a knob that will shift between these two settings, which are each a combination of four individual relays. In that way you'll only occupy one button for shifting between two modes
;)
The relay settings follow the preset though, so if you have multi channel amps, the same button can shift between different modes depending on which preset you've recalled.

If you've got more questions about programming the g-system, all you have to do is ask
;)

Thanks man :thu: . I am pretty sure that there'll be a lot more questions for me to ask you in the future. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When I use the editor in global mode to have one of the assignable buttons send a MidiCC message my options are from 0 to 119. The GCX needs a data value of 0 to turn the loop on but a data value of 127 to turn the loop off. If I can only select up to a value of 119 this will not work. Am I missing something here?

I am anxious to get a G System for the wet part of my W/D setup but want to make sure it will work properly with my GCX as I will be getting rid of my GCP controller.

• Members

When I use the editor in global mode to have one of the assignable buttons send a MidiCC message my options are from 0 to 119. The GCX needs a data value of 0 to turn the loop on but a data value of 127 to turn the loop off. If I can only select up to a value of 119 this will not work. Am I missing something here?

I am anxious to get a G System for the wet part of my W/D setup but want to make sure it will work properly with my GCX as I will be getting rid of my GCP controller.

That sounds weird. My g-sys is in the rehearsal space at the moment, but i'll look into it when i get there ;)

(:eek: did you remember to check the manual/troubleshooting chapter in the online help section?)

• Members

That sounds weird. My g-sys is in the rehearsal space at the moment, but i'll look into it when i get there
;)
(
:eek:
did you remember to check the manual/troubleshooting chapter in the online help section?)

It may be my misunderstanding. I know that for the GCX you have to communicate on Midi Channel 16 and data values of 0 turns loop off and 127 turns loop on. Then there are controller numbers for each loop, like loop 1 is controller number 81. So I am thinking the number I set in global of the Midi CC is 81 and the G System automatically sends a 0/127 if in toggle mode and as long as I am sending on channel 16 the GCX Should respond. I am not sure but in theory this seems correct to me.

Also do I understand correctly that you cannot send a Midi CC message with a preset change?

Thoughts?

• Members

It may be my misunderstanding. I know that for the GCX you have to communicate on Midi Channel 16 and data values of 0 turns loop off and 127 turns loop on. Then there are controller numbers for each loop, like loop 1 is controller number 81. So I am thinking the number I set in global of the Midi CC is 81 and the G System automatically sends a 0/127 if in toggle mode and as long as I am sending on channel 16 the GCX Should respond. I am not sure but in theory this seems correct to me.

Also do I understand correctly that you cannot send a Midi CC message with a preset change?

Thoughts?

i think (think!) that you can send cc messages on preset change. I haven't tried though. I have only been sending "preset change" (?) messages to my MP-1. My g-sys is the only other midi-piece in the rig at the moment, so i haven't played alot with it's midi capabilities.

• Members

Will the DMC GCX Switcher accept signal from the SATELLITE SEND of the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV?

It might seem obvious, but I'd just like to make sure. The reason I ask is because I'm considering on using that Satellite Send from my MarkIV to run a separate poweramp, for my Leslie project. The key thing is though I want to be able to 'switch' it on and off by using the GCX to divert the signal (loop on = signal sent to external poweramp, loop off = signal goes nowhere).

The Satellite Send won't effect the main signal through the MarkIV. It comes from the stereo effects loop of the amp.

• Members

Will the DMC GCX Switcher accept signal from the SATELLITE SEND of the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV?

It might seem obvious, but I'd just like to make sure. The reason I ask is because I'm considering on using that Satellite Send from my MarkIV to run a separate poweramp, for my Leslie project. The key thing is though I want to be able to 'switch' it on and off by using the GCX to divert the signal (loop on = signal sent to external poweramp, loop off = signal goes nowhere).

The Satellite Send won't effect the main signal through the MarkIV. It comes from the stereo effects loop of the amp.

If sending to the GCX from anything other than a Ground Control Pro then you must send Midi CC Messages. The GCX is setup to allow this and the messages have to be sent on channel 16.A data value of 0 turns the loop off, a data value of 127 turns the loop on.

Controller numbers are as follows:

Audio Loop

Loop #1 = controller #80

Loop #2 = controller #81

Loop #3 = controller #82

Loop #4 = controller #83

Loop #5 = controller #84

Loop #6 = controller #85

Loop #7 = controller #86

Loop #8 = controller #87

Latched Switch Momentary Switch

Loop #1 = controller #104