Volume Pedals

cmw

• Members

I want to put a volume pedal in my signal path so I can do swells.

I'm considering either the Boss FV-500H or the Ernie Ball (either VP Jr. or 6166) and welcome opinions of either.

The real question is ... should I go with the mono version and put it right after the guitar? Or the stereo version and put it right before the power amp?

Another thought is also running a stereo volume pedal between the wet signal coming from my fx processor and my line mixer. That way I could control the wetness more conveniently.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to put a volume pedal in my signal path so I can do swells.

I'm considering either the Boss FV-500H or the Ernie Ball (either VP Jr. or 6166) and welcome opinions of either.

The real question is ... should I go with the mono version and put it right after the guitar? Or the stereo version and put it right before the power amp?

Another thought is also running a stereo volume pedal between the wet signal coming from my fx processor and my line mixer. That way I could control the wetness more conveniently.

Another thought is: running a L as an expression pedal to adjust parameter controls in real time.

Here is how my setup is done. I use 3 volume pedals pre-fx, post-fx and a CC expression pedal for the Eventide.

zachschematic.jpg

• Members

Another thought is: running a L as an expression pedal to adjust parameter controls in real time.

Here is how my setup is done. I use 3 volume pedals pre-fx, post-fx and a CC expression pedal for the Eventide.

zachschematic.jpg

:eek:

Wow....

Wow

• Members

They are way more sturdy than the EB's the interaction is smooth and very natural feeling. I LOVE them.

thx again for the answer ... they even cost lest so that's cool to know ... BTW do you use the Stereo or the Mono and how do I know which one I need ?

• Members

thx again for the answer ... they even cost lest so that's cool to know ... BTW do you use the Stereo or the Mono and how do I know which one I need ?

:thu:

I use 2 FV500H pedals and 1 FV500L. Depending on where in your signal chain you want to put them, will tell you which one you want to use. IF you're using it from your guitar which is a high impedance source, assuming you use passive pickups, you'd use the H, IF you're using it in a loop or as an expression pedal, you'd use an L.

• Members

:thu:

I use 2 FV500H pedals and 1 FV500L. Depending on where in your signal chain you want to put them, will tell you which one you want to use. IF you're using it from your guitar which is a high impedance source, assuming you use passive pickups, you'd use the H, IF you're using it in a loop or as an expression pedal, you'd use an L.

So if i want one volume pedal and one expression pedal I'll need one H and one L ? is that right ?

• Members

Is there another way to put the volume pedal so that it changes the volume ?

You may use one as a post-effects volume pedal so that when you pull it back your delay trails as an example still trail.

Here is an example of that with this pedal that Bob goes through with my rig:

[YOUTUBE]CdHwhMzJbeo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

OH! I gotcha ... if i want the effect to sound after i pull up my volume pedal i can do that by putting it after the effects right ??

:thu:, When you want your input signal to go away when you pull your volume pedal back, your delays will trail OR when you want your effects signal only to cut off when you pull back your volume pedal and be left with your unaffected signal... I do this as well when I want to go from that pure vintage amp tone to mixing in my wet/effects signal, I can mix how much effects signal I want.

• Members

You may use one as a post-effects volume pedal so that when you pull it back your delay trails as an example still trail.

Wouldn't that be the definition of PRE effects? If the volume pedal were post-effects, the trails would be silenced as well.

• Members

Wouldn't that be the definition of PRE effects? If the volume pedal were post-effects, the trails would be silenced as well.

My bad, yes...

The post pedal is the one I use mainly as a level mix control, and the 3rd one, I use for CC functions for the Eventide (internal mix level, various parameter controls (room size, speed control for univibe, sample level, chorus depth etc...)

• Members

ya thx for clearing that out .... but still ... Zach if I want the pedal to do the easiest thing, controlling the volume ... where should i put the pedal ?

Well you could go guitar to volume pedal to amp

OR

guitar to fuzz, compressor, OD, distortion, flanger, delay, to volume pedal to amp (This will turn down the gain hiss etc... from the pedals preceding the volume pedal, if say you keep the pedals on, but turn down to tune (tuner in the tuner port of the pedal and out of the signal chain, eliminating the tuners tone suckage)

• Members

and if I just want it to do the volume ... i just plug the guitar to it and from there to all other stuff ?? won't it ruin the tone ?

ya, possibly... I'd put it last before the amp, with the pedals in front of the volume pedal

Archived