Volume Pedals

cmw

• Members

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong but I think your options for volume placement are roughly these.

1) Guitar -> Volume Pedal -> Everything else. This setup allows you to change the level hitting the preamp part of your rig. Turning down the volume will be like backing off your guitar volume and will reduce the gain level.

2) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Volume Pedal -> Post preamp effects and power stage. This setup will not effect the gain level of your preamp but rather controls the volume of the rig (ie. you're still on 11 dirt wise but this controls whether it's at 10dB or 100dB). Effects like reverb and delay being post volume pedal will tail off.

3) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Post preamp effects in serial setup -> Volume Pedal -> Power stage. This setup again acts as a straight volume control but will cut out the effects as well so there is no tailing out.

4) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Post preamp effects and volume pedal in parallel loop/setup -> Power stage. Putting the volume pedal in the parallel loop after the effects will allow you to control your wet mix but not necessarily change any volume levels but would cut off tails. Before the effects in the loop would leave tails.

I think that's it, hope this helps.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong but I think your options for volume placement are roughly these.

1) Guitar -> Volume Pedal -> Everything else. This setup allows you to change the level hitting the preamp part of your rig. Turning down the volume will be like backing off your guitar volume and will reduce the gain level.

2) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Volume Pedal -> Post preamp effects and power stage. This setup will not effect the gain level of your preamp but rather controls the volume of the rig (ie. you're still on 11 dirt wise but this controls whether it's at 10dB or 100dB). Effects like reverb and delay being post volume pedal will tail off.

3) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Post preamp effects in serial setup -> Volume Pedal -> Power stage. This setup again acts as a straight volume control but will cut out the effects as well so there is no tailing out.

4) Guitar -> Pedals/Preamp -> Post preamp effects and volume pedal in parallel loop/setup -> Power stage. Putting the volume pedal in the parallel loop after the effects will allow you to control your wet mix but not necessarily change any volume levels but would cut off tails. Before the effects in the loop would leave tails.

I think that's it, hope this helps.

thx !!! so what is the best option for me if i have a g-major and i don't want effect tailing ?

• Members

If you don't want effect trailing, just put it right before the amp, and after everything else.

I guess my question is ... if you could only have one volume pedal ... at least for now ... would you put it first or last?

I'm thinking for my purposes ... the ability to do swells ... first is probably the way to go. (but i'm open to suggestion).

• Members

If you don't want effect trailing, just put it right before the amp, and after everything else.

I guess my question is ... if you could only have one volume pedal ... at least for now ... would you put it first or last?

I'm thinking for my purposes ... the ability to do swells ... first is probably the way to go. (but i'm open to suggestion).

the same question here ...

• Members

You're reminding me of walters9515

• Members

If you want volume swells like you get from using your guitar volume pot then yes, guitar straight to volume pedal is the way to go as in 1) in my above post.

• Members

Assuming you have an fx loop in the head, you need 2 volume pedals. If you don't have a loop you can't do the master volume part.

The first one goes after the guitar before going into amp. This does the volume swells as you'd do with your guitar's volume pot.

The second one goes in the fx loop which needs to be either working as a serial loop or set to a 100% wet if it's a parallel one. This means that all the signal hitting the power amp stage of the head is coming from the fx loop return. Placing the volume in front of the G-Major in the loop would let delays and reverbs tail off, while after the G-Major it'll cut the tails off as well. This is the master volume part. You may be better off doing this part using an expression pedal and controlling the volume output from the G-Major through Midi rather than using a second volume pedal in line.

Good luck with it.

• Members

ya but the volume knob also raises or lowers the gain .... and a volume pedal is better .... so where should i put it Zach ? C'mon give me a answer ?

Ya well... There is no substitute for experience, so in this case I suggest you try everything that's already been suggested and let us know what you prefer.

The jig is up

• Members

I'm not really sure why you are attempting to insult me (I assume that's what you're doing).

:idk:

Perhaps your beef is with Dror520?

:confused:

uh huh

I find it interesting that you BOTH have accounts with very similar post counts which were started quite a while ago, and seem to show up together a lot. hmmm, one in the same... perhaps, maybe not just a sneaking suspicion on my part

• Members

Look, I can't help the fact that some other guy has a similiar post count and wandered into my thread and played 20 questions on how a volume pedal works. These are the internets and crazy {censored} like that happens.

What I do know, is that this is my sole account, and I'm just a guy with an extra hundred bucks in his pocket who needs a volume pedal, and was looking for advice. And now, I think I have enough information to make an informed decision. Thanks for your input.

• Members

Look, I can't help the fact that some other guy has a similiar post count and wandered into my thread and played 20 questions on how a volume pedal works. These are the internets and crazy {censored} like that happens.

What I do know, is that this is my sole account, and I'm just a guy with an extra hundred bucks in his pocket who needs a volume pedal, and was looking for advice. And now, I think I have enough information to make an informed decision. Thanks for your input.

fair enough, if I'm wrong--I apologize

Archived