G-Force VS. G-Major. WHY the large price difference?

• Members

The G-Force also has the intelligent harmonizer function (I don't know exactly what it's called).

The G-major can only pitch at a pre-selected pitch. On the G-Force you can set it to a certain key (very useful if you play 80's rock/metal).

Any way - if you buy one of the two you get the best customer service (TC is Danish ;-)). They are fast and very helpful.

• Members

Just expanding a little on kraen post...

The G-Force programming interface is MUCH nicer than the G-Major. Everything is very intuitive and visually appealing compared to most units, the Axe-FX being an exception. It's easy to see why Cliff 'borrowed' a lot of those ideas on the interface for his box.;)

Examples:

When in the intelligent pitch alg it shows you the scales in tab. NICE!

The Parametric EQ block shows you an actual graph of frequences boosted and cut.

Another interesting tool the G-Major doesn't have, the MOD matrix. The G-Force will let you assign a envelope filter, 2 LFO's, and 2 ADSR's in practically any FX parameter available in your chain. It's a VERY powerful tool for creating new sounds.

• Members

Just expanding a little on kraen post...

The G-Force programming interface is MUCH nicer than the G-Major. Everything is very intuitive and visually appealing compared to most units, the Axe-FX being an exception. It's easy to see why Cliff 'borrowed' a lot of those ideas on the interface for his box.
;)

Examples:

When in the intelligent pitch alg it shows you the scales in tab. NICE!

The Parametric EQ block shows you an actual graph of frequences boosted and cut.

Another interesting tool the G-Major doesn't have, the MOD matrix. The G-Force will let you assign a envelope filter, 2 LFO's, and 2 ADSR's in practically any FX parameter available in your chain. It's a VERY powerful tool for creating new sounds.

I suppose that warrants the price difference.

But I just can't afford a G-Force now, especially not after what happened to my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV practically dying and requiring reconstructive surgery.

• Members

If you can't afford it wait.

I would recommend an outboard EQ like the TC 1128. They can be had for like $100 here.

Thus EQ has no bearing on your effects and you don't have to run a/d-d/a if you're not going to use any effects. (The 1128 is digitally controlled analog)

• Members

If you can't afford it wait.

I would recommend an outboard EQ like the TC 1128. They can be had for like $100 here.

Thus EQ has no bearing on your effects and you don't have to run a/d-d/a if you're not going to use any effects. (The 1128 is digitally controlled analog)

I don't reeeeeeeeeaaallly need a G-Force. It's more of a novelty than anything to own such a great piece of kit, for my purpose. It's just the lure of all the cool things it can do.......

The G-Major seems to better suit my purpose. I can always sell it later on down the track. Lots of famous well-respected musicians use it anyway so it's not like it's utter junk. I'm fussy about things but I'm not a tone snob.

A separate EQ would be nice, but I'd like it to have presets that will follow the effect presets, without needing something else to be switched in conjunction with the effects. The amp that will have said G-Major is the "wet" amp anyway, so it doesn't matter if even a lightly used effect is on, it could be just a noise gate (since the amp is noisy at high gain anyway).

Also I really want to limit the amount of rack gear I have, because I really don't have much room. Three 1U rack units is already pushing it (GCX, Alto parametric EQ, Niche ACM).

I strongly prefer amp stacks to rack cabinets, so everything (including a 2x12 combo & two valve amps) has to fit on top of two 4x12 cabs that are sitting beside each other.

Thanks for the reccommendation on the TC1128 though.

*reading web page for TC1128.......... "28 bands!!? :eekphil: *

• Members

On the G-Major the input and outputs are balanced, what does that mean can I plug a regular guitar instrument cable ?

Thanks !

I do and it works just fine,Just be sure to have it set up right.

Theres a input range selecton in the I/O menu that you can change.Probably needs to be set on consumer.

• Members

I do and it works just fine,Just be sure to have it set up right.

Theres a input range selecton in the I/O menu that you can change.Probably needs to be set on consumer.

You think I need to change the Input range to consumer instead of pro ?

• Members

I have a problem with my G-Major ... I got a volume pedal and want to use for volume swells but I don't want to put it after my guitar so how do i put it in the effects loop ?? what position ? Thanks !

The position of it depends on what you want to do with it. Place it before the effects, and you'll be able to control your preamp signal volume before it hits your effects in the loop. That's what i prefer, as it lets your effects trail off when you turn down the volume pedal.

Placing the volume pedal after your effects makes it more like a second master volume.

EDIT: If your effects loop isn't buffered, you should use a buffer for the (long) cable run to your pedal from the amp ;)

• Members

thanks and now something else ... lol. When i put my volume pedal before my effects (which rule) and lower the volume to 0 with the pedal and play on the dist channel I can hear the dry signal pretty strong from the cab how can I change this ? Thanks !

• Members

I have a problem with my G-Major ... I got a volume pedal and want to use for volume swells but I don't want to put it after my guitar so how do i put it in the effects loop ?? what position ? Thanks !

IIRC, you should be able to use the volume pedal as an expression pedal connected directly to the G Major and be able to use it as a volume pedal as well as for other preset dependent tasks (filters, pitch shifters, etc). There's a jack in the back of the G Major for an external controller if you don't want (or don't have the available gear) to control it via Midi. This would also eliminate all the excess cable in the signal path running to/from a volume pedal on the floor.

• Members

G-Major = Entry level unit, but indeed very decent sounding.

G-Force = Professional multieffects. Better ad/da converters than the G-Major, and it has free effects routing. Possibly better algorithms as well along with more DSP engine processing power.

The G-Major is more of a swiss army knife for the standard guitar rack, as it utilizes standard effects routing and two relay switches for midi controlling non-midi amps.

I've heard terrible stories about long load times for preset recalls on the G-Force though - above 1sec.
:eek:

Thank you, I am even more convinved I need one now. (although Andy Timmons and Mark Tremonti pretty much had me sold anyway.......)

Archived