G-Force VS. G-Major. WHY the large price difference?

• Members

Why is it that the G-Forces more than three times the cost of the G-Major, by TC Electronic?

WHY?
:confused:

G-Major = Entry level unit, but indeed very decent sounding.

G-Force = Professional multieffects. Better ad/da converters than the G-Major, and it has free effects routing. Possibly better algorithms as well along with more DSP engine processing power.

The G-Major is more of a swiss army knife for the standard guitar rack, as it utilizes standard effects routing and two relay switches for midi controlling non-midi amps.

I've heard terrible stories about long load times for preset recalls on the G-Force though - above 1sec. :eek:

• Members

I've heard terrible stories about long load times for preset recalls on the G-Force though - above 1sec.
:eek:

And that's definitely squashed any reason for me to save up for that. And I'm grateful for it.

G-Major it is!!!

• Members

In my experience, the G-Force has ZERO load time for presets, is WAY deeper re: preset tweaking-- than the G-Major, has WAY better A/D D/A converters, and is the difference between a Chevrolet Cavalier to a Chevrolet Corvette. Here is a video my friend, who did the video of my rig did-- of his own rig demoing some of the G-Force, and as you can see/hear--there is NO lag time between preset load times. :thu:

[YOUTUBE]uvaOqFELCDw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Fair enough ;) I just happened to share a rehearsal space with another band, where the lead guitarist was complaining about load times from the G-Force approaching 2-3 seconds, if he did complex patch changes. His unit must have been faulty then :facepalm:

• Members

Fair enough
;)
I just happened to share a rehearsal space with another band, where the lead guitarist was complaining about load times from the G-Force approaching 2-3 seconds, if he did complex patch changes. His unit must have been faulty then
:facepalm:

I respect you, and appreciate all of the valuable posts that you make and am not trying to be argumentative w/ you at all.

I think the guy is doing something VERY VERY wrong, or has a serious problem with his unit. 2-3 sec NO WAY. That's WAY WAY longer than my Lexicon PCM-80 and the TC G-Force KILLS my Lexicon for load times. :thu:

• Members

Those who have lag times switching presets in their G-Force are using the EQ for each of their presets. If you utilize the preset EQ, you'll notice the lag.

If you're strictly using it for effects only, then the G-Force has no lag issues.

• Members

Those who have lag times switching presets in their G-Force are using the EQ for each of their presets. If you utilize the preset EQ, you'll notice the lag.

If you're strictly using it for effects only, then the G-Force has no lag issues.

In that case, the G-Force would be useless to me, because I want to use the equaliser for every preset.

• Members

I respect you, and appreciate all of the valuable posts that you make and am not trying to be argumentative w/ you at all.

I think the guy is doing something VERY VERY wrong, or has a serious problem with his unit. 2-3 sec NO WAY. That's WAY WAY longer than my Lexicon PCM-80 and the TC G-Force KILLS my Lexicon for load times.
:thu:

And i wasn't arguing at all either :) just explaining why i wrote like i did. I have never tried the G-Force myself - which is indeed a bummer due to me being a huge TC fanboy - but that was what i knew at the moment.

I must say, that i had a hard time believing it when he told me, but when i heard him play it, i had to. He had to run it in parallel even though he liked it way better in series, only because the slow loads wouldn't f*ck up his dry signal that way. :rolleyes:

Now - on the other hand - i'm gonna have to "not like you" for getting me hooked on buying a g-force again :D

( or not ;) )

• Members

Thanks, VERY interesting, but 2-3 seconds of lag... I still don't believe it, seriously THAT bad. That's worse then my Eventides and Lexicons

• Members

And i wasn't arguing at all either
:)
just explaining why i wrote like i did. I have never tried the G-Force myself - which is indeed a bummer due to me being a huge TC fanboy - but that was what i knew at the moment.

I must say, that i had a hard time believing it when he told me, but when i heard him play it, i had to. He had to run it in parallel even though he liked it way better in series, only because the slow loads wouldn't f*ck up his dry signal that way.
:rolleyes:

Now - on the other hand - i'm gonna have to "not like you" for getting me hooked on buying a g-force again
:D
( or not
;)
)

;) You're awesome brutha... Sorry 'bout the GAS thing... :thu:

• Members

It was never 2-3 seconds. That's some serious problem there. But a noticable bump perhaps 1/2 of a second, sometimes a volume swell depending on what your settings are. But DAMNIT is it distracting.

Just get the Rocktron Xpression. Got everything you'd need for guitar effects, incredibly user friendly, incredibly fast and simple.

• Members

Just get the Rocktron Xpression. Got everything you'd need for guitar effects, incredibly user friendly, incredibly fast and simple.

Do you mean me?

It's just that I keep feeling so torn between the extra high quality on one side, and cheaper price on the other.

Is the Xpression available at a similar price to the G-Major?

• Members

Well, when we bought it, we had a good connection at Guitarded Center, so my lead guitarist got it for $350 out de' do.

On Musician's Friend they got em for $399. But there IS a scratch and dent for $303.24... you really should snag it. If you find a fault in it, heck, send it my way! We'll use it as a backup to my brother's G-Force!

Seriously. With side-by-side whole-rig comparisons, my brother would replace his G-Force with the Xpression and no other processor out there. the ease of use, quality of tone and PRICE isn't easily matched today.

• Members

Do you mean me?

It's just that I keep feeling so torn between the extra high quality on one side, and cheaper price on the other.

;) Buy once buy right. Get the unit you KNOW you REALLY want. :thu:

• Members

Well, when we bought it, we had a good connection at Guitarded Center, so my lead guitarist got it for $350 out de' do.

On Musician's Friend they got em for $399. But there IS a scratch and dent for $303.24... you really should snag it. If you find a fault in it, heck, send it my way! We'll use it as a backup to my brother's G-Force!

Seriously. With side-by-side whole-rig comparisons, my brother would replace his G-Force with the Xpression and no other processor out there. the ease of use, quality of tone and PRICE isn't easily matched today.

Bryan... I just now noticed your signature and just about ruptured the vein in my head from ROFLMFAO. Priceless sig!!!! :lol:

• Members

Do you mean me?

I bought the Xpression yesterday. I had to try the cabinet simulation on it, cause i use cab sim's alot when i lay down guitar tracks for demo's.

Right now i'm a/b switching the Xpression and the G-Major, and it's definately different. It sounds nice, but soundwise it's way different than the G-Major. The time modulation effects (phaser, flanger & chorus) seem fatter and richer on the Xpression, and the reverb is easier/faster to tweak a nice and usable sound from.

The noise gate, compressor and delays on the other hand are way better on the G-Major.

In terms of tweakability, the G-Major wins hands down, and i really miss having different delay and reverb algorithms on the Xpression.

The G-Majors interface is also far more intuitive.

My conclusion is, that if you want a multieffect with great delays/reverbs (and different kinds of those), great tweakability and decent time modulation effects, get the G-Major. If you want a multieffect with great time modulation effects, less tweakability and decent delays/reverbs, get the Xpression

The cab sim is - by the way - pretty nice, and i'm looking forward to track some demo stuff with it :D

• Members

I bought the Xpression yesterday. I had to try the cabinet simulation on it, cause i use cab sim's alot when i lay down guitar tracks for demo's.

Right now i'm a/b switching the Xpression and the G-Major, and it's definately different. It sounds nice, but soundwise it's way different than the G-Major. The time modulation effects (phaser, flanger & chorus) seem fatter and richer on the Xpression, and the reverb is easier/faster to tweak a nice and usable sound from.

The noise gate, compressor and delays on the other hand are way better on the G-Major.

In terms of tweakability, the G-Major wins hands down, and i really miss having different delay and reverb algorithms on the Xpression.

The G-Majors interface is also far more intuitive.

My conclusion is, that if you want a multieffect with great delays/reverbs (and different kinds of those), great tweakability and decent time modulation effects, get the G-Major. If you want a multieffect with great time modulation effects, less tweakability and decent delays/reverbs, get the Xpression

The cab sim is - by the way - pretty nice, and i'm looking forward to track some demo stuff with it
:D

Cool, thanks for that review and comparison.

I basically want programmable EQ, noise gate, lots of good delays and reverbs, phaser, some flange, and maybe some fancy formant filtering/whammy etc.

Which to me sounds like the G-Major. A plus too that you said it's more intuitive to use.

I don't really need good time modulation effects, because I already have them-> two chorus pedals, a flanger, a big delay with modulated delay, a rack chorus, a chorus stereo amp (the JC-120), and if I move my arse to the hardware store...a Leslie system.

I think I'll get the G-Major. In the future when I want a different (& bigger) rig I'll get the G-Force or something like it.

Archived