MIDI footswitchers

petejt

• Members

This might seem a bit redundant to ask, but I am a bit stuck.

Ideally, I'd like just one MIDI footswitcher that can handle everything I want to do.

I know there are expander modules for floor switchers, but that might cost a bit (still it'd be good to see everything out there). I don't want to buy more switching units, I just need a floor pedalboard to control everything.

Please help.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't think of anything that has that many switches! You could probably do it by daisy-chaining two Rocktron All Access units, or indeed probably something else similar. That'd give you 25 IA switches and 5 preset recall switches; I don't know if that's enough because I can't work out exactly how many you'd need.

• Members

I can't think of anything that has that many switches! You could probably do it by daisy-chaining two Rocktron All Access units, or indeed probably something else similar. That'd give you 25 IA switches and 5 preset recall switches; I don't know if that's enough because I can't work out exactly how many you'd need.

Thanks for your suggestion :) .

If I could at least have one main switcher board, and another smaller one to handle some of the instant access switching, that'd be good.

Yeah I apologise if it seems confusing about how many switches I need.

The reason why is so I can programme the floor switcher to create presets, but don't I need to manually switch everything required first, and then save all of that as a preset?

Ok, here are what I need instant access switches

Switches handled by GCX Switcher- everything in its loops for control functions etc.

-MarkIV Rhythm 1 channel

-MarkIV Rhythm 2 channel

-MarkIV Lead channel

-MarkIV graphic EQ on/off

-MarkIV effects loop on/off

-MarkIV Class A/Simulclass

-GCX Loop 1

-GCX Loop 5

Switches handled by Switchblade8

-Loop 1 Input

-Loop 1 Output

-Loop 2 Input

-Loop 2 Output

-Loop 3 Input

-Loop 3 Output

-Loop 4 Input

-Loop 4 Output

-Loop 5 Input

-Loop 5 Output

-Loop 6 Input

-Loop 6 Output

-Loop 7 Input

-Loop 7 Output

-Loop 8 Input

-Loop 8 Output

-Relay switch 1

-Relay switch 2

Switches for Niche ACM

-Output 1 volume up/off

-Output 2 volume up/off

-Output 3 volume up/off

-Output 4 volume up/off

-Output 5 volume up/off

-Output 6 volume up/off

-Output 7 volume up/off

-Output 8 volume up/off

Switches for G-Major

-Relay switch 1 (for Fireball channel switching)

-Relay switch 2 (for Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay - switches between chorus & delay)

-Instant access buttons for each effect, which are many.........

Then if I can have a row with 5 preset buttons (with its own set of banks, hopefully 10 at least), oh God this is so overwhelming... :facepalm:

• Members

I find it hard to believe that you'll actually use that many instant access switches. They often seem like a good idea and the usual thought process certainly seems to indicate that they will be used, but more often than not you probably won't use half of what you think you need.

Personally I find it far easier and more effective to isolate everything possible into preset form and use as few instant access switches as I can.

That said, the Axess FX1 and the Expander will probably get you very close.

• Members

I find it hard to believe that you'll actually use that many instant access switches. They often seem like a good idea and the usual thought process certainly seems to indicate that they will be used, but more often than not you probably won't use half of what you think you need.

Personally I find it far easier and more effective to isolate everything possible into preset form and use as few instant access switches as I can.

I tend to agree here. IMO the purpose of the switchers are to create presets that can be conveniently recalled without a lot of tapdancing, therefore for my playing style a bank of 4 presets and 15 IA switches and and expression pedal are more than enough. I don't use most of these switches.

• Members

The most advanced MIDI controller today is the Gordius Little Giant (or Big Little Giant). Check www.gordius.be. Noy yet well known but it surpasses the controllers from the big guys (Axess, Rocktron, Ground Control, Fractal, Liquid).

It's not limited to specific presets/instant switches layouts, so you can assign every switch any function or combination of functions.

You can assign multiple actions to a switch, f.e. 1 push on switch 5 to enable Leslie, push it twice to activate something else.

More advanced configrations are possible too, like changing switch assignments after you've pushed a switch (f.e. switch 6 normally activates your delay, but if you push 5 to enable Leslie, switch 6 will control the Leslie speed. It's totally customizable.

And the next firmware upgrade wiil introduce something unprecedented: a "recall previous active preset' feature. This means the controller will record what you've done and is able to recall the previous preset (preset stands for whatever combination you've made of effects presets, IA's etc.). Say you have switch 6 in bank 1 activated. You need that solo patch in bank 3, switch 2 so you go there and push it. After the solo you want to return to bank 1, sw. 6. Scroll down? No, just assign the "previous active preset" to a switch in every bank and there you go. It's a godsend feature that prevents a lot of banking up and down.

More features? Yes, like a metronome. You can assign a BPM value to songs. This makes the LEDS blink so that you always know the right tempo. You can dim LEDS. It uses USB for firmware upgrades. There's a fullblown editor. A MIDI monitor. A high resolution LED alfanum display with various display types. There's so much more, believe me.

I have the Big Little Giant (13 switches), and two extra external switches (so this makes 15 switches). I have one expr.pedal connected and the Gordius lets assign presets to its toe and heel positions.

There's a user forum on Yahoo: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/GORDIUS/. With very enthousiastic customers.

BTW, yes, I am a fan and I fully paid for my controller.

• Members

The most advanced MIDI controller today is the Gordius Little Giant (or Big Little Giant). Check
www.gordius.be
. Noy yet well known but it surpasses the controllers from the big guys (Axess, Rocktron, Ground Control, Fractal, Liquid).

It's not limited to specific presets/instant switches layouts, so you can assign every switch any function or combination of functions.

You can assign multiple actions to a switch, f.e. 1 push on switch 5 to enable Leslie, push it twice to activate something else.

More advanced configrations are possible too, like changing switch assignments after you've pushed a switch (f.e. switch 6 normally activates your delay, but if you push 5 to enable Leslie, switch 6 will control the Leslie speed. It's totally customizable.

And the next firmware upgrade wiil introduce something unprecedented: a "recall previous active preset' feature. This means the controller will record what you've done and is able to recall the previous preset (preset stands for whatever combination you've made of effects presets, IA's etc.). Say you have switch 6 in bank 1 activated. You need that solo patch in bank 3, switch 2 so you go there and push it. After the solo you want to return to bank 1, sw. 6. Scroll down? No, just assign the "previous active preset" to a switch in every bank and there you go. It's a godsend feature that prevents a lot of banking up and down.

More features? Yes, like a metronome. You can assign a BPM value to songs. This makes the LEDS blink so that you always know the right tempo. You can dim LEDS. It uses USB for firmware upgrades. There's a fullblown editor. A MIDI monitor. A high resolution LED alfanum display with various display types. There's so much more, believe me.

I have the Big Little Giant (13 switches), and two extra external switches (so this makes 15 switches). I have one expr.pedal connected and the Gordius lets assign presets to its toe and heel positions.

There's a user forum on Yahoo:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/GORDIUS/
. With very enthousiastic customers.

The main problem w/ the Gordius Little Giant for me and those who want to do what me and the OP are doing is it's layout doesn't cut it.

• Members

I think the reason why I feel I need an instant access switch for everything, is by my understanding of how presets are programmed- select a particular item/s, set the parameters, and then store all of that in one preset.

I think it's also so I can "tap-dance" when I want to, e.g. add in my flanger pedal to a preset distortion sound. I know that John Petrucci & Zach Petersen have that functionality.

I'll look into (and bite the bullet) about the Axess FX1 & Expander.

• Members

The most advanced MIDI controller today is the Gordius Little Giant (or Big Little Giant). Check
www.gordius.be
. Noy yet well known but it surpasses the controllers from the big guys (Axess, Rocktron, Ground Control, Fractal, Liquid).

There's a user forum on Yahoo:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/GORDIUS/
. With very enthousiastic customers.

You sound like an advertisment :lol: , lol sorry.

Basically what I'm asking for is a button for every feature in my setup, and from all that, make a simple bank of presets that I can access at any time, as well as instant access presets for the effects blocks in the G-Major. And also have a few "blank" presets (say just dials in one amp channel) where all the pedals on the floor are looped in, and I can tap-dance them at leisure.

The "recall previous preset" feature does seem cool though, I gotta say. I'll also consider the Gordius, as I've never heard of them before.

• Members

The main problem w/ the Gordius Little Giant for me and those who want to do what me and the OP are doing is it's layout doesn't cut it.

So it ain't gonna work Zach? How come?

I think what complicates my setup, is just that I have two MIDI switching units plus an Audio Control Module, and that I want a button for everything.

Maybe the Rocktron All Access can do it with its "second function" feature?

• Members

Maybe the Rocktron All Access can do it...

This actually might be a more viable option than I initially thought. When you set up the instant access switches as "Per Preset" instead of "Global", their channel, CC#, and control values can be completely different for each preset. Basically this would give you banks of 5 presets with 10 instant access switches of your choice, all of which can be different for each preset. Basically "'banks' of instant access buttons" as you said earlier.

• Members

Yes, I know, that's why I added the last line.
:cool:

Basically what I'm asking for is a button for every feature in my setup, and from all that, make a simple bank of presets that I can access at any time, as well as instant access presets for the effects blocks in the G-Major. And also have a few "blank" presets (say just dials in one amp channel) where all the pedals on the floor are looped in, and I can tap-dance them at leisure.

Well, like others already have stated above, I doubt that this is gonna work 100%. We're all seeking the ultimate setup, which IMO consists of all-in-one presets on one hand (to minimize tap dancing), and instant access switches to retain control and flexibility. The solution is often somewhere in the middle. I think you have to make some choices. Look at it from a real world perspective (which IA's are you really gonna use) and not from a theoretical/control view (like: I want to be able to control every effect individually).

The reason why I brought up the LG in THIS thread is its capability to assign multiple functions to one switch, like I explained. You want to control a lot of space and this feature may save you space and a lot of banking up/down.

And there's another reason: it has a D1 and a D2 bank. These are always accessible through 1 click (dedicated switches). Since each of those banks has 13 switches (I'm talking about the Big Little Giant) to which IA's can be assigned, this means that you are always just one click away of 26 IA's, even if you are in Bank 26! This gets you closer to your goal.

The "recall previous preset" feature does seem cool though, I gotta say. I'll also consider the Gordius, as I've never heard of them before.

Like Zach stated, the layout of the beast is not a common one, it differs from all the others. I don't know why this is regarded as negative... it's different but it works and is not harder to operate than the others. A matter of personal opinion and that's okay of course.

• Members

So it ain't gonna work Zach? How come?

I think what complicates my setup, is just that I have two MIDI switching units plus an Audio Control Module, and that I want a button for everything.

Maybe the Rocktron All Access can do it with its "second function" feature?

Because there simply aren't enough buttons for everything. The Axess-FX1 w/ the expander is the one. A bit pricey but (It IS the one)

The way I program my stuff takes a bit more forethought re: the preset planning, but it allows for more usefulness with fewer preset bank up moves/requirements.

Lets say I have a song-- I have a preset for the song, but there are a few different sounds I use for that song... so- assuming it's preset 1.

Preset #1 is:

* Amp Select calls up my Super Reverb

* Dyna Comp

* Rocktron 300G Compressor (On)

* Lexicon PCM-80 set to preset R2.2, and On

* TC 2290 (Set to it's preset number 4, but set to off, because I don't want that on when I select the "Master" preset on my controller-- because it's what I use on the chorus part of the song)

* Eventide H8000FW (Set to preset 6112-set to Off, because that doesn't get called up until the solo)

Doing this allows me to (when I select the direct access button per preset, call up not just the loop activation of each unit, but also to call up the correct midi preset recall for each unit) Instead of making a Master preset for each move I may make in the song. (Less essential re: pedals or the 1210, compressor etc... but w/ the devices with tons of presets stored, I want the direct access button to call up the "right" preset per device for each "Master" preset, AND the state it should be in, when the preset is selected (On/Off).

Feels like I'm rambling now, so I hope that makes sense. :thu:

• Members

Like Zach stated, the layout of the beast is not a common one, it differs from all the others. I don't know why this is regarded as negative... it's different but it works and is not harder to operate than the others. A matter of personal opinion and that's okay of course.

It's a negative for me, because I want to be able to do things the way I am, and the thing won't allow me to do it "My" way. ;)

At a Glance I can't be bothered trying to remember when in this mode or that which direct access button will control everything.

My Board's layout is simple and easy to see what is what

NAMMpics034.jpg

• Members

This actually might be a more viable option than I initially thought. When you set up the instant access switches as "Per Preset" instead of "Global", their channel, CC#, and control values can be completely different for each preset. Basically this would give you banks of 5 presets with 10 instant access switches of your choice, all of which can be different for each preset. Basically "'banks' of instant access buttons" as you said earlier.

GREAT! :)

As long as I can scroll through 'banks' of instant access buttons, without the preset button being lost in transit when programming that button, if you know what I mean.

• Members

Yes, I know, that's why I added the last line.
:cool:

Well, like others already have stated above, I doubt that this is gonna work 100%. We're all seeking the ultimate setup, which IMO consists of all-in-one presets on one hand (to minimize tap dancing), and instant access switches to retain control and flexibility. The solution is often somewhere in the middle. I think you have to make some choices. Look at it from a real world perspective (which IA's are you really gonna use) and not from a theoretical/control view (like: I want to be able to control every effect individually).

The reason why I brought up the LG in THIS thread is its capability to assign multiple functions to one switch, like I explained. You want to control a lot of space and this feature may save you space and a lot of banking up/down.

And there's another reason: it has a D1 and a D2 bank. These are always accessible through 1 click (dedicated switches). Since each of those banks has 13 switches (I'm talking about the Big Little Giant) to which IA's can be assigned, this means that you are always just one click away of 26 IA's, even if you are in Bank 26! This gets you closer to your goal.

Thank you for your help.

I've already said though what buttons I want. I need an instant access button for each loop of the GCX, an instant access button for channel switching the Fireball (via the G-Major), instant access buttons for each input and each output of my Switchblade, and hopefully some for the Niche ACM.

Or at least, have a 'blank' preset that has a few functions already programmed into it, e.g. I dunno I'm getting muddled now. :confused:

• Members

The way I program my stuff takes a bit more forethought re: the preset planning, but it allows for more usefulness with fewer preset bank up moves/requirements.

Lets say I have a song-- I have a preset for the song, but there are a few different sounds I use for that song... so- assuming it's preset 1.

Preset #1 is:

* Amp Select calls up my Super Reverb

* Dyna Comp

* Rocktron 300G Compressor (On)

* Lexicon PCM-80 set to preset R2.2, and On

* TC 2290 (Set to it's preset number 4, but set to off, because I don't want that on when I select the "Master" preset on my controller-- because it's what I use on the chorus part of the song)

* Eventide H8000FW (Set to preset 6112-set to Off, because that doesn't get called up until the solo)

Doing this allows me to (when I select the direct access button per preset, call up not just the loop activation of each unit, but also to call up the correct midi preset recall for each unit) Instead of making a Master preset for each move I may make in the song. (Less essential re: pedals or the 1210, compressor etc... but w/ the devices with tons of presets stored, I want the direct access button to call up the "right" preset per device for each "Master" preset, AND the state it should be in, when the preset is selected (On/Off).

Feels like I'm rambling now, so I hope that makes sense.
:thu:

I think that's what I'm after.

The confusing thing is, all this stuff is supposed to make everything EASIER, but it just seems harder. :(

• Members

It's a negative for me, because I want to be able to do things the way I am, and the thing won't allow me to do it "My" way.
;)
At a Glance I can't be bothered trying to remember when in this mode or that which direct access button will control everything.

My Board's layout is simple and easy to see what is what

Well, the thing is that this thread is not about your board's setup... or mine. But about possible, maybe multiple, solutions for the needs of the OP. Just trying to broaden his view of possibilities.

• Members

I don't think my reasons are getting through.

I guess my problem is not explaining myself clearly. I apologise for that.

Archived