Anybody not using washers in your racks?

• Members

I was just wondering how many people aren't using plastic washers to protect their gear. My rack came with a lot of screws but no washers. Will my gear get scratched up if I don't have them? What kind of washers should I be using?

• Members

Screw humfrees, they're difficult to install and no better than regular shoulder washers.

If you EVER have to sell rack gear, the fact that washers were used will save the cosmetic appeal of the gear. A proper shoulder washer will protect the face of the gear and isolate the screw from the faceplate as well.

I prefer using shoulder washers + electrical tape (to isolate the rack rail from the faceplate) rather than humfree tabs. Humfrees won't mount on thick faceplates (Furman units, Mesa/Boogie amps) properly.

Shoulder washers are cheap and widely available. There is really no good excuse NOT to use them.

• Members

I think I'm going to try to find myself some washers. Like you said, there's no reason not to use them. I just hope home depot or some local stores carry them.

About isolating units, when would I ever have to do this? If a certain unit is generating noise when it's touching the rack? Shouldn't one just isolate every single unit?

• Members

I found that using washers with the little shoulder does not guarantee isolation of all components.

I used tape on both sides of the rack ears and self adhesive foam circles at the top and bottom of all components.

I'm still getting ground loops from the screws touching stuff.

I am thinking about using 2 shoulder washers for each rack screw (front and back), but I haven't been able to find screws longer than 3/4"

Does anyone know of any screws that have at least 1 inch of 10-32 thread?

I supposed Home Depot carries something similar, but there's no telling how strong the alloy is (?)

Oh yeah, thread hijack!

• Members

http://www.google.com/products?q=middle+atlantic+shoulder+washers

As far as the question about when to isolate, it really depends on your total rig and how you want to ground each unit. Each unit should have a path to ground, and that means one (1) and only one path to ground. Otherwise you get a ground loop.

You could treat the entire rack as one large chassis with each unit being grounded through the rack rails. Or use a star grounding method, in which each unit is isolated from the rack rails, but is grounded through the AC cables meeting back up at the power distributor (as in all points going to one, like a star).

Since I leave my stock AC cables on my gear, I try to isolate the units from the rails since each is already grounded through the main AC cable.

However, even if using the rack rails to ground your units, the front of the face plate can still be protected by a washer while the back of the faceplate can be grounded through the rack rail (which is why I use electrical tape between those).

• Members

Does anyone know of any screws that have at least 1 inch of 10-32 thread?

I like these;

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-846

Plus, unless you have the correct bit, they can't be removed. It's just a little extra security when your gear sits overnight in a club. Don't forget to buy the bit. I use these in some of my PA racks and live rig. In my studio I use either the standard Phillips head screws, or Allen (socket) head screws. I prefer the Allen heads because there is far less chance of a tool slipping and scratching the face of a piece of gear when installing/removing it in/from the rack. Most real hardware stores carry the Allen head 10/32 screws in a variety of lengths. For some reason though, I have never been able to find them in Home Depot, although Lowe's usually carries them.

• Members

Yah Home Depots got 'em just not in black with a phillips head,slotted only.

Yeah I got the natural colour ones too. I was looking to see if they had black ones, but I didn't mind the natural nylon much since it was the same diameter as my rack screws. You can't see them from the front.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

They only help with noise/hum if you have ground loops from bad/improperly grounded equipment.

I've never had any hum problems with my guitar rack stuff or any of the PA rack mixers/effects/compressors/eq's, but I do use the plastic washers to prevent damaging the front panels.

Archived