DMX Controller question

gjb3

• Members

From another thread regarding an unnamed DMX controller and the Behringer MIDI foot pedal:

as dimmers - I fade scenes and chases in/out all the time with mine. You can program each of the pedals to do all kinds of things, including fades, speed changes, volume changes, etc.

Anyone have any idea what non-software DMX controllers would give you control over these kinds of parameters from the Behringer foot pedal? Most of the DMX controllers I've seen allow you to trigger static scenes, chases and blackouts via MIDI - but that's it. I'm in the market and would like a controller with this kind of felxibility (in particular, the ability to step through chases), but my guess is it will be pricey. What's out there?

• Members

NSI's MLC 128R will do all you ask and more for about a grand.

mlc128r.jpg

Device focus edit feature simplifies setup of pre-programmed shows for playback in different venues

A large library of popular fixture definitions pre-loaded. Additional definitions may be downloaded from the device definition disk included, or from our web site: www.nsicorp.com

Lighting device definition creation and editing capabilities, as well as alphanumeric naming for identification of all devices, traits and indexed positions

Group function allows control of similar traits in multiple devices

Four encoder wheels for precise selection and easy modification of device trait information

Joystick provides real time pan and tilt control

RS-232 port enables mouse, trackball and PC interface

Front and rear panel access to RS-232 port allows easy connection to laptop or PC for show storage and device definition downloads

MIDI activation of any of the scenes, patterns or shows programmed in the MLC 128R

Audio synchronization for triggering from a remote line-level audio source, such as a compact disc player or audio mixing console

ASCII offline editor enables use of a simple word processor

to create shows, device definitions and programs

Device traits are displayed as words, rather than numeric values, for ease of operation

Blind and go functions allow modifications to devices and groups to be made without affecting current stage look until the user chooses to activate the changes

Controls up to 128 individual intelligent devices

512 DMX control channels

128 Micro-Plex control channels

Up to 1,024 scenes. A scene is a static stage look, which is recorded into memory for later recall

256 patterns, each with up to 13,913 small steps, or 665 large steps. A pattern is a series of scenes linked together, played back in a timed sequence or repetition

Stores 256 shows containing up to 24 patterns. A show is a series of linked patterns, which can be used as building blocks to create elaborate stage effects

Up to 64 group assignments. A group is a number of devices, all controlled in unison

Two line, 40 character backlit, adjustable contrast LCD display

Fade times from .1 seconds to 59 minutes, 59.9 seconds

DMX512 (3 pin XLR female)

Micro-Plex (3 pin XLR male and female)

MIDI in/out/through (5 pin DIN)

RS232 (9 pin D-Sub/DB9 male)

Audio In (RCA type female)

• Members

I WILL ask the (probably) obvious- is there anything else out there that would have this kind of flexibility for under a grand? The reason I'm focused on a hardware controller is my reluctance to bring a laptop running Freestyler out to shows, due to fear of software crashes and theft. But at that price, the laptop/Freestyler option begins to look more attractive.

• Members

That's what I'm thinking as well.

But then, of course... since the laptop is there, I should probably be recording the shows. Before long I'm running sound, engineering the recording of the show, making sure the show LOOKS decent with regard to lighting, and... OH YEAH playing bass when I have the time. (Oh, and probably tending bar along the way...)

• Members

Why is it that bass players do it all. I do the lights, run sound, have done A/V recording in the past, do most of the setup, provide all the mics, cables, stands as well as own all the light and sound gear plus the van to haul everything and book most of the gigs....... OH Yeah and play bass and sing when I have the time :)

Gotta love it.

DD

• Members

Why is it that bass players do it all. I do the lights, run sound, have done A/V recording in the past, do most of the setup, provide all the mics, cables, stands as well as own all the light and sound gear plus the van to haul everything and book most of the gigs....... OH Yeah and play bass and sing when I have the time
:)

Gotta love it.

DD

stop whining and go help your drummer set up his kit. :poke:

:p

• Members

Why is it that bass players do it all. I do the lights, run sound, have done A/V recording in the past, do most of the setup, provide all the mics, cables, stands as well as own all the light and sound gear plus the van to haul everything and book most of the gigs....... OH Yeah and play bass and sing when I have the time

Gotta love it.

DD

Hold on there I'm the lead guitar and singer!

• Members

Gotta love it.

DD

It is a common theme that the bass players are the most tech savy band members. I haven't figured out why. Perhaps it's that the bass player who understands his role in the band is most likely to see the bigger picture regarding the performance of the band. That's not to say that this is true for all bass players and that other member never get it, but it does seem that the bass player is the first one to look at the band as a whole. It's easy to spot the band member who is thinking globally by how his rig is EQ'd and how his sound sits in the mix. The guy who is overplaying everything is never the guy who understands the PA or the lighting rig.

Archived