Martin SCX500 first impressions

newmaxnew

• Members

I had two Martin Mania SCX500 scanners arrive on my doorstep today. Here are my first impressions.

These lights just speak quality from the second you open the box. They are packed very well. They come with a power cable, DMX cable, and mounting plates that you can also use as a floor mount. The DMX cable appears to be a very nice quality cable. From the second you open the box you know that this is something in another class from ADJ and Chauvet.

These things are heavy and appear to be built very well. I mounted them to the floor plates since they are just heavy enough that I don

• Members

Well, Martin is one of the companies who a hefty majority of the professional lighting world trusts for equipment for massive shows and tours. The SCX scanners are indeed a step down from the big guns that Martin produces (MAC 2000 and MAC 700 being the most common on large tours), but they're still Martin quality. You'll find that the optics of the SCX500 allow it to keep up with higher wattage fixtures.

• Members

Soundlight I can see what you mean, these things cut right through my 4 color strips and 4 Rain 56 lights. For 150 Watts they put out an amazing amount of lights.

The difference between these low end martin lights and the stuff I have bought from Chauvet and ADJ is just unreal.

Max

• Members

I just used some of the macros right now. They mostly consist of different gobo/color with some movement. I will probably make up a few scenes without macros tonight.

Those things are real cool, I just have to resist the temptation to over use them during the show.

Max

• Members

I will be using the new Martin SCX500s at a gig tonight. I am going to have to put them on the floor for now but I will upgrade my stands so I can get them up in the air soon.

We are going to bring the video camera so I should be able to get some video of the new setup if I can figure out how to get it up on youtube.

I am using freestyler so I will eally be able to use those to thier full extent. I created some of my own movements last night and should be able to do a lot more when I get some more time to program up scenes.

Max

• Members

The gig on Friday went real well. We hadn't played that place in over a year since they had switched to mostly original metal and punk bands. We play 60s and 70s cover. The place was full and the bar made good money that night. The owner told me the next day that people had been asking him for more dance music.

I had to put the SCX500s on the floor on both sides of the drummer so they didn't have the maximum impact. They performed and looked great. I had some issues with freestyler locking up on me. I am going to make sure I have the most current driver for the DMX interface I am using today and see if I can fix that.

I should have some pics and maybe some viseo later today or eary this week.

Max

• Members

Cool.Looking forward to seeing pics/vids of them.

Freestyler locked up on ya huh?!?

I've yet to have that happen in a year.The worst I've had happen is that somebody knocked the power cord outta the laptop and when the battery went it shut everything down.

I'm using a older version though,2.96j I think.I haven't installed the 3.00 version,the old one is still doing everything great.

Archived