is the FAB4 setup the same as the 4BAR?

Shovelhead

• Members

Just ordered 2 Fab4's and 2 Pars from cheaplights. I still need to order the open DMX so I can use freestyler. It's a start I guess.

I did too. I ordered 4 Fab4s, and plan on getting a couple of colorstrips. I'm going to pickup a basic DMX controller locally. The Fab4s should be here Friday.

• Members

I did too. I ordered 4 Fab4s, and plan on getting a couple of colorstrips. I'm going to pickup a basic DMX controller locally. The Fab4s should be here Friday.

Great! Let me know how your setup goes.

Are you running from stage or from the board?

I'll be running from the board, so need to consider what snake cables I'll need to extend to 100' max. I guess I'll need 1 long a$$ DMX cable to run from the stage, hook up the Enttec DMX USB box, and then the laptop running freestyler.

I'm still gonna run a basic on/off ADJ box for some older pars. I got some 9 pin extension cables for that snake setup.

• Members

Great! Let me know how your setup goes.

Are you running from stage or from the board?

I'll be running from the board, so need to consider what snake cables I'll need to extend to 100' max. I guess I'll need 1 long a$$ DMX cable to run from the stage, hook up the Enttec DMX USB box, and then the laptop running freestyler.

I'm still gonna run a basic on/off ADJ box for some older pars. I got some 9 pin extension cables for that snake setup.

We're going to run from the stage. At first, it'll be an extremely basic setup. I plan to pre-program a few scenes and just cycle through them, using the blackout between songs. Eventually we'll get to be more sophisticated, but it might take awhile!

• Members

I've been emailing back and forth with the guys at stageape.com and the one difference I can come up with is that the stand for their FAB4 only extends to 76" (6'4"). That really seems too low to me, but the 4BAR only extends to 91" (7'9") and I really don't think that the extra 15" is worth the extra money.

Has anyone gotten these yet and is the stand usable?

• Members

Here's what I found with the FAB4: The stands are way too short, and are of very cheap quality. The stands don't even fit in the cheap carry bags that they send with them.

The footswitches are low-buck too. The fixtures themselves look very much like the 4BAR, and seem to be decent quality. They work really well, and I'm pleased with how bright they are. I'll be using them on stage for the first time this weekend.

I ended up buying a truss and a couple of 12' stands. And I was planning on using a DMX controller all along. I've already sold the 4 tripod stands on Craigslist for 25 each, so I was only out 80.00 for a truss system.

All in all, it worked out ok for me, because the 4BAR setup is over 100 bucks more for each unit. I only wish they'd ship without the stands at all. Who needs lights that are at eye level?

• Members

Here's what I found with the FAB4: The stands are way too short, and are of very cheap quality. The stands don't even fit in the cheap carry bags that they send with them.

The footswitches are low-buck too. The fixtures themselves look very much like the 4BAR, and seem to be decent quality. They work really well, and I'm pleased with how bright they are. I'll be using them on stage for the first time this weekend.

I ended up buying a truss and a couple of 12' stands. And I was planning on using a DMX controller all along. I've already sold the 4 tripod stands on Craigslist for 25 each, so I was only out 80.00 for a truss system.

All in all, it worked out ok for me, because the 4BAR setup is over 100 bucks more for each unit. I only wish they'd ship without the stands at all. Who needs lights that are at eye level?

I received mine also. I concur, the stands are short at 6'. But the lights themselves seem to do the job. I don't plan on using the footswitch, so they are not an issue for me. I may use other stands eventually as well. I have to figure out the DMX side of these things and how to put them into Freestyler.

I alos got 2 Marco 86 LEDs pars from Cheaplights.com. The sent me Eliminator Lighting Electro 86 lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Shovelhead, How's your Fab4's working out for you? I'm getting ready to start programming mine into Freestyler. I finally got my par 38 led's programmed, so am getting more familar with Freestyler concepts. Still a ways to go though.

Archived