American DJ H20 lighting effect question....

sickman

• Members

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-DJ-H20-250EX-Lighting-Effect?sku=801487

I just got this light. Is there any way I could control it with a footswitch or something so I could stop the light on one color? This is my first piece of lighting gear, so I don't really have any idea if it is possible. But, it seems like it would be a cool feature to have. I play guitar and think it would be pretty cool if I could run a pedal from the unit so I could control the color pattern while I am playing.

Also, the unit has no on/off switch. To turn it on/off do you just unplug it?:confused:

Thanks.

• Members

I don't know anything about this light, but reading the specs, it appears to not be DMX or even have a sound active mode. So really the only control you have is on/off and whether you want it to be on static color or change colors.

Yeah.. I don't think it has a sound active mode. The static color/change of colors is what I want to control. For example, I want to do is say keep it on green for awhile, then transition to the next color, then transition to the next color and leave it on that color for awhile, etc, etc.

Also, does unplugging to turn it off/on make sense? It's my first light and I know this isn't a good idea with other electronic stuff (amps, tvs, computers, etc).

It's a pretty cool effect though.

• Members

PM me. I have a bunch of Chauvet Color Changers (Omega 250C and Intimidator Colors) that are just sitting around. They are DMX controllable and sound activated. A simple controller can get them to do whatever you need them to do.

Aren't those different lighting effects though? :confused:

I'm looking for something to control the effect I already have.

• Members

I pretty sure that if it ain't DMX controllable, there's nothing you can do to control it other than on/off.

If you push the knob on the back it holds the effect on one lighting pattern so that you can mix two colors. That's what I want it to do, but it might not be capable of doing it without manually moving the knob.

Also, back to the basic question... It has no on/off switch. Is this normal? I read all two pages of the manual and no mention of it.

• Members

Anyways, thanks for the input. I bought it on a whim because it looked sort of like what they had playing against the backdrop for the Allman Brothers... or even the Grateful Dead back in the day. For $150 it will still be cool to have when my friends coming over to jam. It's a pretty cool effect against a wall.:thu:

• Members

There is two position switch on the back of the fixture. In one direction you get constant color change, in the other it stops the color wheel. You simply have to remove the switch, add a length of wire and hook the new wire to a two position foot switch.

• Members

There is two position switch on the back of the fixture. In one direction you get constant color change, in the other it stops the color wheel. You simply have to remove the switch, add a length of wire and hook the new wire to a two position foot switch.

OK.. thanks. I understand.

Sounds like this might be rather complicated for someone like me. For the time being I will hold off.

Archived