Band Lighting help

ned911

• Members

So this might be a little different than most band lighting threads. I've got lights and Light Jockey and am proficient in programming. The problem is we have this great light rig and never use it, either the stage is to small or we don't have enough time to set it up.

So... I need to minimize the rig for quick set up/tear down and easy operation. No lighting or sound person, all lights are either set on auto or controlled via LJ through my midi pedal. Do I do the bare minimum with everything on sound activation or some really basic programming.

Rig is:

Truss: 2 4.5' box, 1 3' box, 1 5' triangle

Front: 3 P64 LED Pro's on a tree

Rear: 3 Colorstrips, 1 Pearl WH, 2 P56 LEDs, 4 SCX500's

• Members

So this might be a little different than most band lighting threads. I've got lights and Light Jockey and am proficient in programming. The problem is we have this great light rig and never use it, either the stage is to small or we don't have enough time to set it up.

So... I need to minimize the rig for quick set up/tear down and easy operation. No lighting or sound person, all lights are either set on auto or controlled via LJ through my midi pedal. Do I do the bare minimum with everything on sound activation or some really basic programming.

Rig is:

Truss: 2 4.5' box, 1 3' box, 1 5' triangle

Front: 3 P64 LED Pro's on a tree

Rear: 3 Colorstrips, 1 Pearl WH, 2 P56 LEDs, 4 SCX500's

Something that I do on smaller stages:

Mount a T bar on the top of your FOH speakers. Put a Colorstrip on top of each of those for front lighting.

Put a T-bar behind the drummmer and mount 1 colorstrip on top of it and 2 of the SCX500's.

Link the three colorstrips master/slave and put them on sound active

Link the 2 scanners together and link them master/slave and sound active. (I don't have scanners, but I have a different moving light that I use.

Done.

Hell of a lot better than nothing IMO.

• Members

Personally, I'd dump the truss for trees. Trusses are great but they take a lot of precious time to set up. We occasionally use the truss when we have time. Trees are used a majority of the time. We prewire the trees. The front trees have 2 Colorstrips and 2 LEDRain 56s. We have the trees wired and ready to go. I just run a cable between the trees and one out to the DMXIS. One power cord per tree and we are ready to go.

• Members

Thanks guys.

When you use the Colorstrips in Auto mode are you just setting them to program 23 in ACT mode or something else.

We normally setup up 1 tree with 3 ADJ P64 Pro's wired and in sound activation.

• Members

Thanks guys.

When you use the Colorstrips in Auto mode are you just setting them to program 23 in ACT mode or something else.

We normally setup up 1 tree with 3 ADJ P64 Pro's wired and in sound activation.

I thought you were using a PC based control system Ned?

If it was my rig I'd just program some chases and run your PC off the kick.

I do something similar to JW and Tricky above,but i have made a couple of two foot bars for the tops of my trees with two LED pars on top and two amber 38's on the bottom,then colorstrips in back somewhere.

• Members

I do run off PC but it never gets used. We normally just set up the front tree with 3 P64 Pro's on sound activation. I moved a Colorstrip and the Pearl white to a piece of triangle truss so I can just lay it on the ground next to the my drummers Vista Lites.

Maybe a 4 color change, black out and some movement from the scanners?

Archived