volume levels for pa/mixer

• Members

I recently put together a practice setup with 2 yamaha clubIV 15" monitors and a QSC RMX 2450. The speakers are 1000W peak @ 8 ohms and the amp is 500W per channel at 8 ohms.

My question is, is it a problem to turn the volume on the power amp all the way up and work the volume only on my mixer?

Is it bad for the power amp or the speakers to have it all the way up all the time, even if I have the mixer volume at a low level?

Just curious... thanks!

Scott

• Members
Originally posted by ulrichsd

I recently put together a practice setup with 2 yamaha clubIV 15" monitors and a QSC RMX 2450. The speakers are 1000W peak @ 8 ohms and the amp is 500W per channel at 8 ohms.

My question is, is it a problem to turn the volume on the power amp all the way up and work the volume only on my mixer?

Is it bad for the power amp or the speakers to have it all the way up all the time, even if I have the mixer volume at a low level?

Just curious... thanks!

Scott

Nope,that is fine. But I would be very careful with that amp/speaker combo. That is a lot more power than those speakers can handle. They are rated at 250 watts.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Nope,that is fine. But I would be very careful with that amp/speaker combo. That is a lot more power than those speakers can handle. They are rated at 250 watts.

Cool, thanks!

I got the more powerful amp in case I wanted to add on two more speakers and run 4 at 4 ohms.

Thanks,

Scott

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Yeaj, shreded paper has little value!

Thanks for the warnings - I'm mostly plugging acoustic guitars into the pa directly instead plugging through amps into the pa, so I haven't been to worried.

Scott

• Members

Originally posted by ulrichsd

Thanks for the warnings - I'm mostly plugging acoustic guitars into the pa directly instead plugging through amps into the pa, so I haven't been to worried.

Scott

how does that change anything? if you could somehow bypass the mic preamps and board summing amps (and hence all gain/faders), you could say the line-level signal from the amps was hotter than the instrument-level signal from the guitars.

otherwise, once they're run thru the gain structure (and preamps if necessary), the signal out of the mixer should be the same, irrespective of whether you're plugging in an amp or a guitar.

i dont mean to sound offensive... apologies if i do!

:)

AS

• Members

I think the point is ....its ok to have too much power but you must harness it no matter what you put through it.....

how to harness it........make sure nothing clips....mixer master output, channel input, fx input.......all these things send DC voltage to the coil and thats BAD:eek:

No RED LIGHTS....(unless you own crown MA series amps which power indicator is red which is really dumb if you ask me)

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

how does that change anything? if you could somehow bypass the mic preamps and board summing amps (and hence all gain/faders), you could say the line-level signal from the amps was hotter than the instrument-level signal from the guitars.

otherwise, once they're run thru the gain structure (and preamps if necessary), the signal out of the mixer should be the same, irrespective of whether you're plugging in an amp or a guitar.

i dont mean to sound offensive... apologies if i do!

:)

AS

I guess I thought this because I have to turn the volume a lot higher when I am playing my acoustic unamped as opposed to when I have my amp plugged into the pa (loud at low volume).

And I just always leave the gain set on 0, I haven't started changing that yet.

Scott

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I think a good dose of uncontrolled acoustic guitar feedback would make the point in a hurry.
;)

I'm not saying that I'm not careful.

I'm sort of new at this stuff, so what is a safe level for the gain? The only time I've gotten feedback so far is when I have the gain turned past 0. Is it just best to leave the gain at 0 and not mess with it?

Scott

Archived