Tbonehead & others... which monitor amp?

• Members

In another post...you recommended I get a monitor amp and regular monitors instead of powered monitors.

What do you recommend for a monitor amp?

I'm guessing something at least 125w per side??

I say that because our old Peavey 112PM powered monitor was 75w and barely loud enough for stage volume.

So.... would QSC RMX850 or Crown XLS202A or Peavey PV900 or Samson Servo 550 or Crest CPX900 or a Behringer Eurpower EP1500 be the right ballpark and choices??? All these are somewhere around $300 and btw 100w and 200w per side.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I really like the Soundtech PS800/802. It is a single space,only about 15lbs,and 230/400 watts per channel at 8/4 ohms.

DITTO - I have one and love it. Can get used on ebay for under $300. Only slight downside is you can't run 2 ohm or bridge 4 ohm loads, BUT you really shouldn't be doing this anyway.

• Members

It's really hard to beat the value of the CPX900 at under $300

It's certainly is not the end all of amps but lets face it, all these "affordable" amps are most likley made in the same far-eastern sweat shop (actually its a state of the art facitlity)

it;s really a matter of how much you want to spend/watts and who has the best - price,reputation,warranty/service,

I know this is shamless self promotion but it's my opinion and i'm entitled to it.....?

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

It's really hard to beat the value of the CPX900 at under $300

I'm convinced that the Crest CPX amps are the same, under the skin, as the Peavey PV Series amps (just to give you another choice). I have a Crest CPX1500 that works just fine and has some pretty cool features for a $400 amp. There are so many good, low-priced alternatives now that it's probably a lot easier to list amps to avoid!

D

• Members

"

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I really like the Soundtech PS800/802. It is a single space,only about 15lbs,and 230/400 watts per channel at 8/4 ohms. "

"DITTO - I have one and love it. Can get used on ebay for under $300. Only slight downside is you can't run 2 ohm or bridge 4 ohm loads, BUT you really shouldn't be doing this anyway."

You know you guys are maybe killing the real steals on these amps that sometimes happen on eBay .

In the same vein, I'm guessing some bass forum or something lately is extolling the DPC 750, as those things started going for insanely high prices, compared to what the old average price was.

Luckily, I recently aquired both of the more powerful versions of the Power Source series at a fairly cheap price.... talk about a poor man's PLX.;)

Archived