Bass thru cab or subwoofer?

• Members

I am a new bass player lookin to get a giggin rig. I'm thinkin about getting the Behringer BX3000T Ultrabass Head that is 300w , 31lbs, and $199.

Should I get a PA cab or Subwoofer for this head?

What would be a good match for the 300w?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by skier4467

I am a new bass player lookin to get a giggin rig. I'm thinkin about getting the Behringer BX3000T Ultrabass Head that is 300w , 31lbs, and $199.

What would be a good match for the 300w?

That amp is total {censored}.

If you need a budget bass rig, buy a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver, a QSC RMX850 power amp, and an Avatar B210 cabinet.

$180 BDDI

$299 RMX850

$258 B210

850watts, very reliable. Versatile tone options, and all components are upgradable and usable for any future rig.

Behringer has an awful reputation for quality.

• Members

Our bass player went through a lot of money while trying to save some cash buying cheap bass heads. I finally convinced him to go the separates route.

Used Trace Elliot pre - $200

Used RMX 850 - $200

Used Hartke 4x10 - $200

So for $600 he's got a system that is as loud as he'll ever need, never over heats and doesn't blow speakers from being underpowered. If we can't convince you to save up a little more $$$ then at least find something used from a reliable company.

Ampeg, Peavey, GK and others make decent intermediate level heads. Stay away from Behringer, Rogue and new, cheap, too good to be true deals. I've been there when the cheapies let go of their magic smoke and it's not pretty!

• Members

One of our very short-term bass players bought that head but it took having to send the first two back before the third one actually worked right. I'd look for something used. And of course,a bass cab. Why wouldn't that be your initial idea?

• Members

I didn't mention bass cab idea bcuz they are more expensive than regular spkr cabs and subwoofers... So I was just testing the water to see if they would work and how they would sound and if I did that then...which would be better: cab vs subwoofer?

Judging by your reactions that is not a great idea though! Would it sound that bad?

You guys mention the RMX 850 power amp....what would be a good cab to match?

Tony K mentioned the Used Hartke 4x10 for $200 but I need something Smaller and Lighter since I have back problems!

Thanks!

• Members

I didn't mention bass cab idea bcuz they are more expensive than regular spkr cabs and subwoofers... So I was just testing the water to see if they would work and how they would sound and if I did that then...which would be better: cab vs subwoofer?

Judging by your reactions that is not a great idea though! Would it sound that bad?

You guys mention the RMX 850 power amp....what would be a good cab to match?

Tony K mentioned the Used Hartke 4x10 for $200 but I need something Smaller and Lighter since I have back problems!

Thanks!

Where did you get the idea that PA cabs would be cheaper than a bass cab? For similar quality/size that isn't the case. Anything in a 2x10 or single 15" should be fine. And don't forget,you would need a bass preamp. BTW,I have a Traynor 500 watt mono power amp that is great for bass if you are interested in it. I'm thinking about selling it.

• Members

If you used a sub cabinet, it would sound muddy as you won't hear the top end harmonics, string noise etc.

If you used a PA cab, the top end would probably rip your ears off and the low end would sound wimpy.

Even Peavey make decent single 15 or 2x10 cabs (or even use one of each).

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Centauri

If you used a PA cab, the top end would probably rip your ears off and the low end would sound wimpy.

I hate to disagree. I've been using a PA cab for bass in a working cover band for over a year, 15" + horn. Sounds great.

The low end doesn't sound wimpy (even that one time that I had to use a 12" wedge because the wire fell of a speaker in the 15"cab). I have not had a problem with high end - Probably because my bass has tone controls.

Lots of people put there basses through the PA every day and you don't hear them complain.

My rig is a ross 31 band eq mostly flat with a wide peak at about 200 hurts, one side of a power amp (peavey 2000) and a locally made pa cab (etone).

• Members

Don't go for the Behringer. You could at least spring for one of the new Chinese made Ashdown MAG heads at $299. Don't forget Peavey. You can pick up a used mid 90's Mark VIII XP for less than three bills, and you could probably score a Firebass for around that too. All much better options than the Behringer, which I sincerely doubt is even close to 300 'real' watts.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

My rig is a ross 31 band eq mostly flat with a wide peak at about 200 hurts, one side of a power amp (peavey 2000) and a locally made pa cab (etone).

Ahh.... PA components. Most bass amps have a tone contour most unlike PA amps, usually tailored to sound best with the particular brand's cabinets (boosted top end etc). Most players I know with 10" + tweeter cabs usually have the tweeter turned down or off.

Most of the time when bass is fed to PA, it is from the guitar and not the bass rig speaker out, and is subject to additional EQ anyway.

Cheers

• Members

Ahh.... PA components. Most bass amps have a tone contour most unlike PA amps, usually tailored to sound best with the particular brand's cabinets (boosted top end etc). Most players I know with 10" + tweeter cabs usually have the tweeter turned down or off.

I woudn't recommend using a 10" + horn pa speaker for bass, that would be going a little to far. 15" is ideal though.

I have my horn turned about half way - until a month ago when I disconnected it and wired it direct (due to bad crossover wiring - the wire fell off the crossover and I couldn't find my soldering iron). I haven't noticed much difference for bass whether it's on or off though.

• Members

Most of the time when bass is fed to PA, it is from the guitar and not the bass rig speaker out, and is subject to additional EQ anyway.

Cheers

I'm not sure what you're on about here at all?? Of course you wouldn't run from a speaker out into the pa. I have yet to see any bass with a guitar out though? And why would the eq on a pa desk be any different from the eq on a bass amp to the same speaker. The pa desk is usually minimal compared to the bass amp?

• Members

Originally posted by moody

I have yet to see any bass with a guitar out though? And why would the eq on a pa desk be any different from the eq on a bass amp to the same speaker. The pa desk is usually minimal compared to the bass amp?

Quite often to put bass into PA, the bass guitar itself is plugged into a DI and the link out on the DI goes to the bass amp. This provides the cleanest bass signal for FOH and usually doesn't require much EQ. When you use the DI/line out on a lot of bass heads, then desk EQ is more radical to overcome tone setting on the head which will be optimised for the particular rig and stage.

Cheers

Archived