Good (not great) 12" wedge rated at 200-250W RMS

• Members

This question got asked on another thread but was steamrolled by a discussion :rolleyes: regarding overpowering speakers. I'm interested in this because I plan on picking up 3 new wedges soon for my church. This Yorkville looks pretty interesting, but I can't even find on the Yorkville website. Anybody have any other suggestions for an efficient, low-power, low-profile $300ish wedge for a permanent install?

TIA,

D

• Members
Originally posted by BoB/335

That M12 looks nice. Hey. a monitor with the horn facing in the right direction. How about that! How much are those?

I believe they are about $225-250 with the standard woofer and a bit more with the better one.Sonic is good sturdy stuff for the price.

• Members

That M12 looks nice. Hey. a monitor with the horn facing in the right direction. How about that! How much are those?

Yeah, I like that feature, too. One of the things I liked about that Yorkville is that, while they have the more typical side-by-side arrangement and keep a very low profile, the horn has a 60 degree horiz. dispersion allowing two people to share one wedge in our tight quarters. I also like that slick "Ultrathane" finish.

Tbone, do you know if anyone sells the Sonics online? There don't appear to be any dealers in AZ.

D

• Members

How about it? I was thinking "geez somebody read the plans turned 90 degrees".

Generally, for tight wedges, you want a much taller pattern (so when you back up even a bit you are still in the pattern) but side to side is not as critical as the player generally doesn't move side to side as far. Also, as you get into bigger set-ups, double-boxing of wedges is common and two 90 degree (or whatever) horns will create a lot of lobes that are not good in a monitor system.

We like to keep horizontal to less than 40 degrees and vertical to somewhere around 70 degrees.

There are some instances where a wide horizontal spread is good, but it's been my experience that it's the exception to the rule.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Here's one that shows them.
www.musiccenterinc.com
Most of the Music Go Rounds in my area carry Sonic stuff. I get mine from Metro Sound and Lighting in St Paul. I believe they have a website.

Thanks, TBone. I Googled right after the post where I asked you for an online dealer and Music Center was first on the list. There are some nice, low-cost options in the Sonic line.

Peace,

D

Archived