A few questions for the pros...

• Members

Ok. Built my system by recommendations from this board. System includes:

AH Mixwiz-16

monitor amp - Crest Audio CPX 900 - 180 watts p/c @ 8 ohms 300 @ 4 ohms; 600 bridged @ 8 ohms; 900 bridged @ 4 ohms

FOH amp - Crest Audio CPX 2600 - 500 watts p/c @ 8 ohms 750 @ 4 ohms; 1100 @ 2 ohms; 1550 bridged @ 8 ohms; 2200 bridged @ 4 ohms

Right now we have 2 front wedges daisy chained off one side of the cpx 900 = 300 watts per channel @ 4 ohms (speakers are 8 ohm speakers). The other is only one speaker (180 watt @ 8 ohm). Will running differant ohms on each side of the amp damage anything?

FOH - One side of amp feeds Peavey sp-2 speakers rated @ 300 watt continuos @ 8 ohm. 2 speakers daisychained - being fed 750 watts by the amp, if I'm doing this right, my amp size is 1 1/4 times the speaker rating of 600. Is this correct?

The other channel feeds the subs that are rated at 200 w continuois @ 4 ohms. 2 of them daisychained would be 1100 watts @ 2 ohms fed by the amp, or 2 3/4 times the speaker rating of 400.

Am I seeing this right, and again the different ohms and draw, should this be a problem. Also even though the manual says this amp has no problem running @ 2 ohms, does anyone have experience with them. They are basically a relabeled peavey amp.

We are a Country Band playing small venues (Moose clubs, Eagles Clubs, etc) so these things don't get worked really hard, but I don't want to damage anything.

Next. I'm not real happy with the sound of the speakers. Want to start saving for upgrade. With the amps I've got, what would you recommend. I've heard Yorkville alot around here. Model numbers?

Thanks for any input,

Rick

• Members

Originally posted by Rickr

FOH amp - Crest Audio CPX 2600 - 500 watts p/c @ 8 ohms 750 @ 4 ohms; 1100 @ 2 ohms; 1550 bridged @ 8 ohms; 2200 bridged @ 4 ohms

FOH - One side of amp feeds Peavey sp-2 speakers rated @ 300 watt continuos @ 8 ohm. 2 speakers daisychained - being fed 750 watts by the amp, if I'm doing this right, my amp size is 1 1/4 times the speaker rating of 600. Is this correct?

Close, but not quite correct.

The power output of the amp is spread across the load provided by the speakers. You have (2) 8-ohm speakers in parallel so you are presenting a total load of 4 ohms to the amp.

The amp can provide 750W of power to a 4 ohm load. Since the impedance of each speaker is the same (8 ohms), the power is being distributed evenly (or close to it) across the speakers (i.e. 375W each).

• Members

I believe we are saying the right thing, just differant. :D 375 watts to each = 750 watts to both. Either way it's 1 1/4 times the speaker rating. 300 x 1.25 = 375 or 600 x 1.25 = 750. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply. Right now I believe I'm saying the same thing you are, just not very good. If that's not the case, smack me upside the head nad correct me. Dang English language, piss poor commuication tool :D

Thanks again,

Rick

• Members

would be much more concerned about the subs... 200 watts and 4 ohms... are they "home theatre" boxes or ???

No, there a set someone loaned us. The brand is Audiocenton? they way a heck of alot more than the sp2 mains, and I think their in the 85 lb range. Probably 110-120 lbs. Big, heavy beast. Put out sound alright, but a bear to move, and all that weight for 200 watt. Seems like a waste. Can't complain for the price, free.:D But that's why I want to upgrade. No since in spending good money on these assuming at some point this guy wants them back or wants us to buy them off of him. That's why I'm looking for opinions on upgrades. Also, with this much power to the subs, how can I protect the speakers, or can I?

Thanks,

Rick

• Members

No, there a set someone loaned us. The brand is Audiocenton? they way a heck of alot more than the sp2 mains, and I think their in the 85 lb range. Probably 110-120 lbs. Big, heavy beast. Put out sound alright, but a bear to move, and all that weight for 200 watt. Seems like a waste. Can't complain for the price, free.
:D
But that's why I want to upgrade. No since in spending good money on these assuming at some point this guy wants them back or wants us to buy them off of him. That's why I'm looking for opinions on upgrades. Also, with this much power to the subs, how can I protect the speakers, or can I?

Thanks,

Rick

If they are Audio Centrons,they probably have Eminence speakers in them. Do you know if they are stamped or cast frames? Probably old enough that the 200 watts is a pretty honest rating. As for protecting them,that's a lot of power so there is only so much you can do. Engage the amp's limiter and engage the low cut filter. Then use lots of caution and a little common sense. Unless you have a minor accident,you might be ok. As for better subs,if you want something that pushes air pretty well,100+lbs is going to be the norm.

• CMS Author

No, there a set someone loaned us. The brand is Audiocenton? they way a heck of alot more than the sp2 mains, and I think their in the 85 lb range. Probably 110-120 lbs. Big, heavy beast. Put out sound alright, but a bear to move, and all that weight for 200 watt. Seems like a waste. Can't complain for the price, free.
:D
But that's why I want to upgrade. No since in spending good money on these assuming at some point this guy wants them back or wants us to buy them off of him. That's why I'm looking for opinions on upgrades. Also, with this much power to the subs, how can I protect the speakers, or can I?

Thanks,

Rick

Not too many options to protect the subs with what you've got, other than perhaps not using them. I'd be afraid, very afraid of using that much power on borrowed gear.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the SP-2's. What don't you like about the sound of them? They're a decent speaker in their price range. How much more were you planning to spend? Personally, I'd look into making sure you're using EQ effectively (in other words, not too much) and any other factors that may make the SP's sound bad. Are you using a crossover for the subs and the SP's?

The SP118X with the SP-2X is a pretty good combination. About $410. But you should let us know your total budget first, and more importantly determine if an upgrade is really the answer.

• Members

Not really unhappy with the sp2's. We played through someone elses the other day, older sp2's, and they sounded much clearer. Checked the specs, and the only difference was his crossed ovr at 800 hz, ours at 1800 hz. Even though, if the price is right when this guy does decide to sell them to use, I'll buy, but if he wants too much, I'd probably be better off buying new. What the right price would be, I'm not sure, but I'm sure at some point I'm better off buying something else, and was trying to get an idea what.

As far as the subs go, haven't been inside of them to know anything. The weight doesn't bother me, just suprised they way so much for as little power provided.

Our sound is pretty good now, alot better with the new mixer and such. Just looking for any advise for improvement if these don't pan out.

As far as eq. I follow your guys advise. Everything is pretty well 0 unless there's feedback (never happened yet). I've been working hard at mike placement and speaker placement so I don't have to use them. Everytime someone in the band wants me to change something, I change it, they say more, and I set it back to neutral, and there happy.:D

After seeing the specs on the subs, I'm just alittle scared.

Later,

Rick

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I have some Eminence Cast frame speaker from about 7-8 years ago that are rated at 200 watts. They look to be almost the same speaker that is now rated at 400 watts.

Now you know why I'm so concerned with overpowering... it's the ratings creep problem.

Archived