connecting cabs in series

• Members
Originally posted by themightylloyd

so i've got a poweramp that puts out 250 watts at eight ohms. I plut in two eight ohm moniters each rated at 200 watts in series. Do i have anything to worry about?

Well,of course not,that would be 16 ohms. Most amps are capable of running at 4 ohms/channel. Isn't yours? If so,I would certainly hook the two cabs up in parallel,not series.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,of course not,that would be 16 ohms. Most amps are capable of running at 4 ohms/channel. Isn't yours? If so,I would certainly hook the two cabs up in parallel,not series.

didn't have a long enough cord :D

so i wouldn't be in danger of underpowering anything?

• Members

didn't have a long enough cord
:D

so i wouldn't be in danger of underpowering anything?

Well yes,if you need the volume,you are seriously undepowering the speakers. I thought you meant problems with impedence. You are probably only giving those speakers about 70-75 watts each,since the amp would be running at 16 ohms instead of 8. But I have a real hunch that you don't know the difference between series and parallel wiring. I'd bet money that you are running them in parallel. Can you explain your wiring?

• Members

heheh, is the ignorance showing? :D

i'm running the cable from the poweramp to a moniter, and another from that monitor across the stage to the other monitor. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of running it in series, right?

parallel would be plugging both right into the poweramp?

• Members

Unless you re-wired the cabinets, they're running parallel right now.

The monitor's inputs are daisy chained. If they're both 8 ohms, that means instead of two 8 ohm loads, the poweramp sees a single 4 ohm load when you connect them together. That's indeed parallel.

Running in series is much more complicated; suffice it to say that you won't be doing it.

If you run one on each side of the poweramp, that's running in stereo.

One channel of poweramp into two monitors: parallel

One channel of poweramp into one monitor, the other into another: stereo

Two channels of poweramp simultaneously into the same load: bridged

99.9% of the time, anyway.

• Members

Here's a little more technical explanation of what's going on with the series/parallel thing.

Pop off the panel on one of your cabinets. You'll see that the two input jacks are wired together. So what, you ask? How else would it work?

For the cabinets to be wired in series, the signal would have to go from the poweramp, into the first cabinet. At that point, it'd pass through the first two speakers, THEN back to the other input jack, to the second cabinet, and through its speakers.

However, yours aren't doing that. The signal is hitting the first jack and then going to the speakers. However, it's simultaneously going to the second jack, out to the second cab, and to those speakers as well. They're both receiving the signal at the same time (or as close as is possible). Therefore, they're running with the signal in parallel.

Does that help any?

Series:

[amp]------[cab1spk1]------[cab1spk2]------[cab2spk1]------[cab2spk2]

Parallel:

[amp]---+-[cab1spk1]------[cab2spk2]

[amp]---|

[amp]---+-[cab2spk1]------[cab2spk2]

Stereo:

[amp]------[cab1spk1]------[cab1spk2]

....|

....+-------[cab2spk1]------[cab2spk2]

Bridged:

[amp]--+---[cab1spk1]------[cab1spk2]------[cab2spk1]------[cab2spk2]

....|----|

....+----+

• Members

so is it not common practice for people to wire speakers in series?

Right! If it has a 1/4" phone jack or a speakon connector it's in parallel. I've never seen any commercial system with series connections. It least nothing in the MI market.

• Members

...if you wire cabs in series does that mean the amp would see the 8 ohm load of one cab rather than the 4 ohm load of 2 (since the second cab is basically seen as an extension of the first)?

• Members

Originally posted by Platy

...if you wire cabs in series does that mean the amp would see the 8 ohm load of one cab rather than the 4 ohm load of 2 (since the second cab is basically seen as an extension of the first)?

It would see it as 8 AND 8 (16 ohms total) instead or parallel which would be 8 OR 8 (4 ohms total)

• Members

so why have i heard about it so many times? i here the phrase thrown around a lot, or it wouldn't be so firmly stuck in my head.

either that or i'm insane.

Well series wiring is used quite often,mainly inside of cabs with multi speakers. And a lot of 4-speaker cabinets are wired in series-parallel,which is a combo of the two. If there is a specific reason why you would want to hook up a pair of cabs in series,you can easily make a little series adaptor "Y" cable

Archived