Crest HP-8 Review

• Members

I'm a Crest dealer and Sound contractor and I have fallen in love with this console. The 10 aux sends in that price range are nice for live sound. Its like having a monitor board and FOH in one console. It gets a 10 in my view. I'm also a Soundcraft and Midas dealer so I'm not being bias.

If any of you guys want a killer deal on one email me at prosound@bellsouth.net. Since I'm a contractor I sell at 5-10% over my cost just to make some grocery money between jobs.

• Members

Originally posted by Mick LoMauro

Dan should know better.

The HP-Eight is NOT A PEAVEY mixer.

It was designed in house at Crest Audio in Fair Lawn NJ.

The Circuit Boards were origaly manufactured in Ms.

Now they are being done in MA.

The consoles are assembled and final tested here in NJ.

actually my comment was a Joke, if you look further back in the thread i've said nice things about this mixer, Mick ought to read the entire thread before passing judgments, with his whopping 1 post,

Mick you ought stick around and help out rather than just sticking your nose in when you dont like somthing. or just go figure out why they cant deliver the fricken things!

Or just take issue with the guy just below your post adverstising he'll sell just over cost so noone can make money................waaaah waaah

• Members

Dan,

Jokes are a great way to break the ice and sell.

Typed words make it hard to hear the humor/sarcasm.

Probably why they put those stupid smileys for you to use.

FWIW My comment about you knowing better could have been taken as a joke or not.

No one will ever know.

Just like the people not in the know who read the boards may not know the actual facts about the design and construction of HP Eights. So I offered that up for all to see.

All,

We openly admit being owned by Peavey. In fact we owe Peavey a huge debt of gratitude for bringing this company back to life so that our customers can enjoy new products.

I have explained the shipping issues with the HP-eights so often that I am near tired of typing it.

But here it goes again....

No one foresaw the popularity of this console. We forecasted high due to the price point. Pre-orders were so numerous that the forecast ended up being doubled twice! That is great news for any manufacturer. The problem then lies within the infrastructure that surrounds that manufacturer (Crest).

Our suppliers were not ready for the volume of parts that we needed to build the number of consoles required to fill our orders.

Think about telling one of your vendors that you need the normal years supply in the first quarter.

Once the supply issues were caught up with the SMT lines couldn't keep up with our production staff.

The orders keep coming.

Now there is a need for more production people.

Great for the local economy and us.

The bottom line is that we are building the consoles as fast as we can here in NJ.

We ship them as soon as they are tested and burned in.

So that is my whopping 2nd post......(insert sarcasm)

I am here to offer any support and insight I can.

The jokes are free.

It is up to the moderators to take care of commercial posts.

::::Note to the moderators and the 'low ball' poster:::::::

MAP Violation

No Judgments Passed

Mick LoMauro

Sales Manager

Crest Audio

Fair Lawn N.J.

• Members

I didn't think the shipping delays were ever mentioned in this thread before you brought it up, and I don't think anybody is really upset about it. Things like that happen. Hey, Crest stuff is shipping faster than Mackie, so what's that say?

Also, I don't think anybody really thinks that the fact that Peavey owns you is really having a negative effect on your products. It seems to me like quality may have been slipping a little before Peavey bought them, so any sort of recent issue is automatically blamed on Peavey. Peavey also seems to be moving up the food chain in the SR world, and they have always had a reputation of standing behind their products, so I'm not too worried.

But if things turn out badly in regards to Peavey, I don't think people will be too forgiving.

• Members

I did mention the shipping delays several times, primarily because I had an installation customer who was extremely patient with the situation. I understand completely about the manufacturing issues.

I also agree with Dan concerning the "dudes" who will sell at just above cost for grocery money. When you have to SUPPORT the product, including on site warranty service, walking a customer through their difficulties AND support a family, pay for insurance... you can't possibly do it at cost + 5 or 10% on a product like that. It is a disservice to the rest of the Crest dealers who do support their product here (there are several).

Mick and John, I was a very early DMI/Crest/Kelsey service center (west coast) so I am fully aware of Crest's history and struggles.

• Members

Mick, I have a HP 810 on order. I can't wait to get it. I was told when I ordered it in early May, that I wouldn't see it until August since it was backordered 300+ units. I was really happy when the rep told me that they were working on it this week and I should have it middle of next week. I was willing to wait for it based on what I saw at NAMM this winter. But I am really stoked that it will be here sooner!

I think that this mixer will be a fantastic fit for my needs. What I needed is a mixer that I can use as FOH for my B system and that I can switch to monitors for my A system (which is basically two identical stack and rack B systems put together) for larger shows. Ten auxes + mute groups at this price made it a perfect fit. Kudos to the design team at Crest. I think that this is a winner. I can't wait to get it and put it through its paces and get familiar with it.

• Members

I think Crest has a winner on it's hands with the HP8.

Next is to replace the X-8 series with a VCA version of the HP8 with added Q-sweeps for the mids, channel meter strips at a $15,000 price point.

The HP8 seems to be the instant hit that Midas had with the Venice and Verona series.

I wanted us to consider the HP8 for our FOH console but we decided the Verona was the one to get (we tried a Soundcraft MH3 and the Verona is better sounding).

If we ever get a monitor board, I think the HP8 will be the ticket.

Another cool idea for Crest is to make a 16-24 channel 4 bus board to compete against the Mackie SR24-32 series (maybe revamp the Peavey RQ43 series with Crest components?)

Anyways, I like the HP8's features

• Members

Originally posted by Mick LoMauro

Dan,

Jokes are a great way to break the ice and sell.

Typed words make it hard to hear the humor/sarcasm.

Probably why they put those stupid smileys for you to use.

FWIW My comment about you knowing better could have been taken as a joke or not.

No one will ever know.

Just like the people not in the know who read the boards may not know the actual facts about the design and construction of HP Eights. So I offered that up for all to see.

All,

We openly admit being owned by Peavey. In fact we owe Peavey a huge debt of gratitude for bringing this company back to life so that our customers can enjoy new products.

I have explained the shipping issues with the HP-eights so often that I am near tired of typing it.

But here it goes again....

No one foresaw the popularity of this console. We forecasted high due to the price point. Pre-orders were so numerous that the forecast ended up being doubled twice! That is great news for any manufacturer. The problem then lies within the infrastructure that surrounds that manufacturer (Crest).

Our suppliers were not ready for the volume of parts that we needed to build the number of consoles required to fill our orders.

Think about telling one of your vendors that you need the normal years supply in the first quarter.

Once the supply issues were caught up with the SMT lines couldn't keep up with our production staff.

The orders keep coming.

Now there is a need for more production people.

Great for the local economy and us.

The bottom line is that we are building the consoles as fast as we can here in NJ.

We ship them as soon as they are tested and burned in.

So that is my whopping 2nd post......(insert sarcasm)

I am here to offer any support and insight I can.

The jokes are free.

It is up to the moderators to take care of commercial posts.

::::Note to the moderators and the 'low ball' poster:::::::

MAP Violation

No Judgments Passed

Mick LoMauro

Sales Manager

Crest Audio

Fair Lawn N.J.

Well Mick,

all jokes aside it's great to have Crests participation on the HC forum.

Great Post, no harm intended,

And to be perfectly clear, the HP8 certainly is an upgrade from the RQ series, (no offense) and the HP8 is by far the best bang for the feature set and by far a better sounding desk than everything in it's price class.

I see you posted their assembling in MA.....where?

• Members

We are working out details on circuit board assemblies done in MA to help with the back log.

final build and test is still in NJ

For clarity when I refer to boards I mean the PCB's

I will always refer to the finished product as a console or desk.

Enjoy the weekend

Mick

Archived