12" & subs or 15" and subs??

• Members

Which would be better for small to med. clubs?

a 12" and horn top speaker with a sub or a 15" & horn top speaker and a sub on each side in a "satellite" type of set up?

I keep thinking the 15"s would be better, but then I think the 12"s might cover the mids a little better?

sorry I've been posting so many questions, but I'm getting ready to go into debt for $4-5000 buck on a PA and it's scaring the crap outta me :(:eek::D

I am a simple guitar player who has messed around running sound before but never anything in this scale - which I know probably seems like a measley investment compared to some, but it's a heck of a lot for me...

and y'alls help the last week is really helping a lot. I thank ye.... I'll be sure to let ya'll know how I finally turn out with this all - if yer interested.

• Members

Something else to consider: If you're mostly going to play "small to medium clubs" you may want to go ahead and get the 15's for the top. Here's why, you may find that using the subs everytime out is unnesscessary in small places (ala 100 people max etc.) If you get the 15's you have the flexiblity of bring just the the tops to smaller venues, adjusting your crossover to match the speakers low end rating and still get great coverage providing you spend on some good 15 cabs. My band runs JBL EON 1500's powered by a Crest amp for smaller pub gigs. I always get a lot of compliments on our sound in smaller places. Now when we go into a bigger place or outdoors, we use just one Yorkville LS700P powered sub, which has two tens in it and kicks some major ass, with the JBL's and set of Yamaha 15's Club Series (got a great deal on them in Feb. when Musicians Friend was clearing them out for only $219.00 each, 500 watt cont., with 1000 peak, what a steal) together on top with the crossover set around 125. This set up give us a nice options depending on the venue. My two cents anyway, good luck I hope this helps you.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Hayden

Something else to consider: If you're mostly going to play "small to medium clubs" you may want to go ahead and get the 15's for the top. Here's why, you may find that using the subs everytime out is unnesscessary in small places (ala 100 people max etc.) If you get the 15's you have the flexiblity of bring just the the tops to smaller venues, adjusting your crossover to match the speakers low end rating and still get great coverage providing you spend on some good 15 cabs. My band runs JBL EON 1500's powered by a Crest amp for smaller pub gigs. I always get a lot of compliments on our sound in smaller places. Now when we go into a bigger place or outdoors, we use just one Yorkville LS700P powered sub, which has two tens in it and kicks some major ass, with the JBL's and set of Yamaha 15's Club Series (got a great deal on them in Feb. when Musicians Friend was clearing them out for only $219.00 each, 500 watt cont., with 1000 peak, what a steal) together on top with the crossover set around 125. This set up give us a nice options depending on the venue. My two cents anyway, good luck I hope this helps you.

this actually helps a whole lot! Thanks for your input man!

• Members

I hope it helps, I'll tell you one other thing, my 41 year old back gets pretty tired humping all that equipment some nights! Especially the sub! I'm even considering getting a Peavey powered mixer for the smaller gigs for convenice. We play all different venues, two weeks ago, a small Irish Pub with 100 people, last Friday night, an outdoor community ampitheater with 1100 people, next week an outdoor community event with 4000 people, then back to the small bar again. Flexibility is definitly the key!

• Members

That's what we call in the biz a 1" driver. Now some manufacturers are making HF drivers with a 1" diaphragm ... I don't know what you call them. The sales department goes crazy again!

The problem here is that under most circumstances a 15" driver won't really go high enough nor a 1" driver go low enough without a lot of compromise in the 800-2K range. In an effort to get by, you see a lot of designs with a 6" midrange. There are some high end systems that do it well (Martin comes to mind) but in most economy (read that less than $1K per box) it leaves a lot to be desired.

So back to 12" vs 15". A 12" crossed into a 1.4 to 2" (throat) generally is a much better solution but again this gets you over the $1k per box threshold. High quality HF drivers are expensive any way you look at it!

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

That's what we call in the biz a 1" driver. Now some manufacturers are making HF drivers with a 1" diaphragm ... I don't know what you call them. The sales department goes crazy again!

Small format 1"

They have their place as the smaller diaphram geometry can improve the sound quality for near and mid-throw systems in the 8kHz-16kHz range. Just a little better definition with less eq. They are also good for stage monitors with Jazz and Acoustic music.

• Members
Originally posted by Chris Hayden

I hope it helps, I'll tell you one other thing, my 41 year old back gets pretty tired humping all that equipment some nights! Especially the sub! I'm even considering getting a Peavey powered mixer for the smaller gigs for convenice. We play all different venues, two weeks ago, a small Irish Pub with 100 people, last Friday night, an outdoor community ampitheater with 1100 people, next week an outdoor community event with 4000 people, then back to the small bar again. Flexibility is definitly the key!

I hope you just forgot the "s" behind sub. I'm 45 and I really can't imagine running a single sub in and out to be too tough. As for not using them in small places,it depends on what you are playing. But for us,I would never go w/o subs anywhere. It just doesn't sound like the same band w/o that bottom octave,especially on the kick. About 90% of our indoor gigs,I use two 18" sub scoops per side(about 150lbs each)and two dual 12" 2-way top cabs/side. On rare occasions,I'll drop down to one of each/side when the club is very small,like in the under 100 people area. Of course,you are free to do what seems to work for your situation. But for me,I want consistency in our sound.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I hope you just forgot the "s" behind sub. I'm 45 and I really can't imagine running a single sub in and out to be too tough. As for not using them in small places,it depends on what you are playing. But for us,I would never go w/o subs anywhere. It just doesn't sound like the same band w/o that bottom octave,especially on the kick.

I totally agree. I play a lot of smaller rooms as a single (just myself) and I still take at least one of my 18" subs. I'm 57 and it's still worth it. A guy my age needs the right size cab, though...with proper placement of casters and handles. I don't think I'd be doing it with scoops! :eek:

• Members

Foster made a very good unit that has been "re-engineered" by P-Audio. They work great when you apply a 4th order (24dB/octave) BW crossover filter and hold up quite well from 2500Hz on up.

They are most effective with non "thrash" type music. I used them in a 3 way touring rig crossed at about 3K, but I had plenty of PA so I was never driving the piss out of them. A very natural "delicate" sound, especially with acoustic guitars, piano and a horn section. Didn't have the bite that a traditional 1" or especially a 2" has, but a nicer top octave up to about 16-18kHz.

I also used them in all my wedges, again I double-boxed the mixes most of the time and NEVER had any complaints... actually sold the complete monitor system turn key based on the performance of it. There, I crossed at 2.5kHz w/ a 24dB/octave LW filter. Perfect for all but thrash type music./ I used to do Tower of Power w/ the monitor rig and it was plenty loud for that! Never had problems blowing diaphrams until this "sound dude expert" from the local college pointed a mic at the wedges and ripped into feedback... he said "dude these monitors aren't very rugged... look the diaphrams blew"... errg :mad: You can't take the idiot out of the country! I toured with 14 of those wedges and lost a couple of diaphrams in 5 or 6 years and close to a thousand shows and this twit rips through diaphrams like changing underwear. All I can think of is how painful it must be for those on stage :D

Archived