What is better to push 2 18's A crown or a QSC PLX

• Members

If I were in the market for a sub amp, I'd look at the Crown CE4000, QSC PLX3402, EWI HS3600, EWI PS2000 (almost enough power), QSC MX3000a, Yamaha P7000II (love mine!), Powerlight 4.0/3.4, Yorkville AP6040/6020. All good amps. Wat are you using now? Are you happy with them?

SOmeone here had a really good amp comparison chart posted on thier site. Maybe that could magically appear again.

p

• Members

I am thinking of a crown CE2000 or a PLX 1602. Right now I just have a PLX which is running 2 15" and the other side is runnin a 2x18 inch Peavey SPX 4 ohm sub enclosure. So 18's suck? That sucks cause I got rid of my 15's to get these. Alot of people say NOT to use QSC PLX for subs. Any reason why? Thank you for your time and help.

• Members

Originally posted by sandasales

So 18's suck? That sucks cause I got rid of my 15's to get these. Alot of people say NOT to use QSC PLX for subs. Any reason why? Thank you for your time and help.

That was a joke...

Some people seem to have difficulty getting accptable bottom with PLX's. I don't.

Search on this topic, it's been beat to death.

• Members

Thank you very much. I am seraching now for more help in past posts.

Originally posted by agedhorse

That was a joke...

Some people seem to have difficulty getting accptable bottom with PLX's. I don't.

Search on this topic, it's been beat to death.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I use PLX 3002's for subs. I love them. And other bands are always peaking into my rack to see what I am using.

Wow, I thought my PLX 1602 (even on one channel in 4 ohms) running to my spx 218 cabinet crossed over about 90hz and everything above that freq going to my mains sounded pretty damn good. I do feel they are very under powered tho. I do not want to spend a bunch of money but I can affor the PLX 2402. Would this amp be a good one for subs? Should I consider Crown? I like that the PLX is very light in weight, I used to have an old mx1500a and that thing was very heavy. I don't know how they got these so lite.

• Members

The 2402 is a good choice, though your subs may be able to take a bit more power if you had it.

Thank you very much! I will consider the 3002. My subs are the dual 18" sp series with the black widows. Would bridging the amp be the best way to go or would this be too much power? Usually on my amps I tax the gains and run everything from the board to get the most headroom and we are not idiots so we would know where the threshold would be on the subs. I bet I could really thimp out some small venues with this set up. Do you agree?

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

The Crown CE2000 (and the CE1000) are some of Crown's weaker achievements. Don't buy one.

The CE4000 is a completely different animal and makes for an excellent sub amp. Do some searches on this amp (and the K2.)

Thank you. How would you compare it to the QSC PLX 3002

• Members

You will not be able to bridge any amp into a pair of 218 subs as that would present a 2 ohm load to the amp and 4 ohms is the minimum load for bridging.

Actually It is a 4ohm load. The speaker cabinet has 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel to yield a 4ohm load. I double checked it with my multimeter. It is the Peavey SP218 (dual 18 cab) not a pair of the dual 18's (4X18's)

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by sandasales

Actually It is a 4ohm load. The speaker cabinet has 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel to yield a 4ohm load. I double checked it with my multimeter. It is the Peavey SP218 (dual 18 cab) not a pair of the dual 18's (4X18's)

Thanks

So you are using just one dual 18" sub cab? Is that what you are saying,not one per side?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

So you are using just one dual 18" sub cab? Is that what you are saying,not one per side?

Yes tlbonehead just one dual 18 cabinet. Is this not the way to go? Would another be better? Thanks guys

• Members

That's a lot of power into a single 218 cabinets IMO.

I am sorry with all the comments back but I do appreciate them so thank you in advance. Here is what I am thinking.

I am going to use my existing PLX 1602 to power 2 monitor mixes then I will get the PLX 3002 and run one side to the dual 4ohm subs and the other running to 2 ohms on my mains. Now if this is still overkill let me know I would not mind saving some bucks and going with another PLX 1602

Thanks

Archived