Sub roll off on both ends works great!

• Members

I'd like to thank everyone here for this suggestion. Not sure who told me to do so, but I used a 125 hz high roll off and a 35 hz low roll off, the latter of which I never would have thought of on my own and boy did it make a huge difference! It tightened up the bass so much and the woofer literally went from flapping like crazy to being very controlled and tight in it's movement with little to no noticeable reduction in bass "thump" or "punch".

Thanks everyone!

• Members

One good reason why manufacturers really can't define power handling of their products accurately... they have no control of the way their products are operated by the end users.

Without a high pass filter to prevent unloading of the driver, mechanical power handling can be reduced by as much as 50%. I see a lot of damage due to this.

• Members

I remember the old days of turntables,lots of power,and no subsonic filters. Even between songs you could just watch the woofer cones go back and forth even if you couldn't hear anything. Not really on topic here but dumping the frequencies below what you need is very useful.

• Members

If I were you I would experiment with a lower X/O to the tops. Try 80 Hz. That eliminates the lowest note (low E string) of a guitar from the subs and might add even more punch. Subs are there only to reinforce the lowest octave. If you're band-passing at 35 and 125, they're covering nearly two octaves.

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

If I were you I would experiment with a lower X/O to the tops. Try 80 Hz. That eliminates the lowest note (low E string) of a guitar from the subs and might add even more punch. Subs are there only to reinforce the lowest octave. If you're band-passing at 35 and 125, they're covering nearly two octaves.

I will try that! makes sense to me. I put a 80 hz roll off on most of the channels anyway. I'm also most likely going to use an aux fed sub system as well so I can keep all the guitar signal out anyway!

Also, another STUPID Q! My sub cabs are built very well w/ 3/4 hardwood ply, but there's no "fluff" lining on the inside? IS that something that could help the sound of the cab?

I am only using two 18" subs and I realize they are only going to add the smallest amount of thump, but I play in pretty small places most of the time and so far they have added just what I wanted.

Is it better to stick the two subs right next to each other at bigger places? I thought I read somewhere that this helps them sound a bit "louder" and better coming from one point not spread across the room like the tops would be?

thanks so much for the replies so far!!!

edit: I originally posted that my low cut off was 35... well I am experimenting and I think it works even better at about 45-50 hz. These subs I have are not going to realistically reproduce much below that anyway and seriously they still thump. Using just one of these is enough to shake my whole house pretty good heheh!

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

Also, another STUPID Q! My sub cabs are built very well w/ 3/4 hardwood ply, but there's no "fluff" lining on the inside? IS that something that could help the sound of the cab?

Probably won't do much in a sub cabinet ... it tends to dampen at about double your crossover frequency and above. Depends on cabinet specifics and fluff specifics.

Is it better to stick the two subs right next to each other at bigger places? I thought I read somewhere that this helps them sound a bit "louder" and better coming from one point not spread across the room like the tops would be?

It should add some coupling and pattern control and eliminate some cancelling normal in split systems

Archived